Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Midlengths

Post by batoes » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:42 am

I've owned 2+1 NPJs and some other 2+1s.
I also own quite a few CB bonzers.
From my experience - bonzers are far better boards, but of course, this is a matter of opinion and dependent on where you surf and how you surf.
My 6'0 2+1 only worked in decent waves and lacked drive in comparison to any of my bonzers, especially the Russ Short at 6'2. That board does not lose any speed through its turns - and contrary to popular belief, it works in all conditions. And bonzers do grovel. My MLV and biscuit bonzer work in smaller crappy waves, but my high-performance egg, which is 5'9, 19 and 2 1/4 with performance rails, only works in good waves.
Some bonzers really require a lot of tinkering in regards to the fin size, fin-type, fin position etc. Others work perfect with any fin at 5 3/4.
I've been blown away at how good my little biscuit bonzer is and like Cranked, even with all that fin cluster, it rips through turns, better than any thruster or quad i've ridden.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:00 pm

Yeah Id agree with the CB Bonzers v NPJ’s. I reckon NPJ have more all round functionality but again it’s personal and waves etc...Neal seems to have given the 2+1’s the shove for the Duo.

The Jye Byne 2+1 I have goes amazingly well in lined up waves of all power settings. Very low rail, cuts the clean water real nice. Fastest board I’ve ridden.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:39 pm

I figured the main thing about Bonzer fins was that they were low and long and set further forward than twins, thruster or quad side fins. The shape seemed pretty arbitrary when you look at the difference between the single side fin bonzer fin compared to the two side fin bonzer fins. So mine is a bit in between, in shape and dimensions (2.7" by 4.5").

You can't see it in the pic but its a medium depth double concave in the tail.

Luckily the keels I cut them from were 2 tab, instead of 3 tab, so that helped set them further forward.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:41 pm

My mate who shapes notes the concave between the two side fins in the bonzer as pretty important in the whole design.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:54 pm

The runners are said to be an extension of the concaves, hence the very angled cant.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Yeah, still be interesting though to see what happens with what I've got.

I am surprised that there's no existing fin available. Currently its just the 2 runners which need 2 fin boxes in different places to a 2+1 setup, or the long single side fin that has to be glassed on.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am

Thud wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:13 am
Yeh, in with the trends now. I had a 8ft Carver as a fun board. I loved that board. Could do anything in anything for the average Joe surfer. Luckily people have fallen into the trap short fat slabs otherwise people would be really enjoying their surfing. Under rated board of the century for those who would ride more than shorties. Secret in the tail rocker, I think.
I’ve only had one surf on my fish since I’ve been up here. It’s been trim time on the mal. I’ve decided however that I don’t like the more keely fins I put on it from Surfboard Warehouse. The double foiled back fins feel sluggish and stiff and it tends to slide more. I had some flex Shapers ones that went really good but I snapped one and the replacement wasn’t doing it.

Probably have another crack today if I find anything on the back beaches to surf but I will be hitting the Carver again when I get back to Sydney....and the foamy. Might give my old Carver Fish a run too. It’s 7’ with those extra plugs he put in for awhile.

I have had a perverse desire to purchase a Walden Mini Magic for while after riding my 64 litre foamy.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:42 pm

That is perverse
Beanpole wrote:

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:00 pm

A bit of a thread dig, but considering a Firewire seaaxe, which doesn't look too terrible for a popout (ie, not a mini-mal).

Anyone got/ridden one of these?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Jet LOVES his. Go back into this thread and if you take his word you’ll purchase.
Beanpole wrote:

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:31 pm

Cuttlefish put me onto bonzer sides a few years ago, I agree that they improve any 2 plus 1 set up (provided that you have the right single fin).

Agree with you Toots, I have a thick Lizzy which has deeper concaves and Ryan Lovelace recommends the smaller FCS bonzer sides but with a larger centre fin for drive.

Look forward to hearing more about your experiments cranky
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:34 pm

batoes wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:42 am
I've owned 2+1 NPJs and some other 2+1s.
I also own quite a few CB bonzers.
From my experience - bonzers are far better boards, but of course, this is a matter of opinion and dependent on where you surf and how you surf.
My 6'0 2+1 only worked in decent waves and lacked drive in comparison to any of my bonzers, especially the Russ Short at 6'2. That board does not lose any speed through its turns - and contrary to popular belief, it works in all conditions. And bonzers do grovel. My MLV and biscuit bonzer work in smaller crappy waves, but my high-performance egg, which is 5'9, 19 and 2 1/4 with performance rails, only works in good waves.
Some bonzers really require a lot of tinkering in regards to the fin size, fin-type, fin position etc. Others work perfect with any fin at 5 3/4.
I've been blown away at how good my little biscuit bonzer is and like Cranked, even with all that fin cluster, it rips through turns, better than any thruster or quad i've ridden.
Yes! This man is the bonzer guru, I love how bronzers drive through turns and keep accelerating.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:17 pm

JaM71, these are my "Bonzers" on the Wombat. They work pretty well.

As I said elsewhere, the Campbell Bros should develop and market a bonzer fin for 2+1s, as there's only the 2 side fins (which need another box) or the glass-on available.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Hard to tell in that pic Cranked. Is there can't in the side fins? I ponied up and bought the 4 fin side runners fcs bonzer set $159. Use the larger ones in a 2+1 application and the smaller ones in the rear quad plugs with twin fins.
How's the 7'6" salient go? The guys I know at surfboard warehouse said, "Nah" when I asked them how it went? Then the shop manager told me it's a scaled up Tajen (their hypto Kyrpto copy).
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 pm
Hard to tell in that pic Cranked. Is there can't in the side fins? I ponied up and bought the 4 fin side runners fcs bonzer set $159. Use the larger ones in a 2+1 application and the smaller ones in the rear quad plugs with twin fins.
How's the 7'6" salient go? The guys I know at surfboard warehouse said, "Nah" when I asked them how it went? Then the shop manager told me it's a scaled up Tajen (their hypto Kyrpto copy).
Also check out these micro sidebites that are a cross between DVS sharktooth side bites and a mini keel.
https://www.sanctumsurf.com.au/fins/

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 pm

Unfortunately there's no cant other than what's in the tabs, but I figured area and shape would be more important than cant.

I haven't ridden the salient, and probably won't use it till I go to Bali again in March. The shape, rails and rocker look good to me though. I plan to use it from about head and half up to whatever it goes well in. I've got well tried 6'8, 7', 7'2, 7'4 and 8' McCoy Nuggets if I don't like it.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:08 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:40 pm
Cuttlefish wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 pm
Also check out these micro sidebites that are a cross between DVS sharktooth side bites and a mini keel.
https://www.sanctumsurf.com.au/fins/
Well worth the $28.... When are you getting the 11ft sanctum glider for me to try? Happy New years!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:21 am

Happy New year to you and G!
Reckon I'm going to have Millsy shape me an 8' twin. Will talk to him Thursday about it.