Twinzers!!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Twinzers!!

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:34 am

So, whos ridden one? What are peoples thoughts?

My newest addition to the quiver is a twinzer by MP, and HOLY S%&T! Absolutely fricken fabulous!

Feels faster and with more flow than a twin, whips and snaps well, AND can be jammed and hooked without the same slipperiness twins can be known for. A bit of double with vee to remove the need for a middle fin. So far I'm sold and can't find a single negative.

I've loved quads for a long time now, but I think I'm going to put them aside in favor of twinzers.

This is for Sydney waves mind you. Not step-up boards.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Twinzers!!

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 am

absolutely love them for small wave sleds CC.

so, so fast and fun.

Occassional moments of weirdness as water flow around the fins wigs out but that adds to the fun in a small wave vehickle.

I like swapping between bonzers and twinzers for small waves. One's a single fin on steroids the other a super-charged quad.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:24 am

Whats the placement of the main fins in the twinzer with respect to the tail SS?

The one I'm riding has the main fins quite rear-set (don't have it handy to measure right now) so its super sure footed. I surfed solid 4-6ft point waves yesterday and it was fully dependable at speed and during aggressive hooks. This board seems to go well from 2ft to right before a step-up is needed.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Hmmmmm Twizers sounds fun. Another avenue to spend money I don't have...
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 am

Drailed wrote:Hmmmmm Twizers sounds fun. Another avenue to spend money I don't have...
haha :)

The eternal issue of an eclectic surfboard taste - lots of boards to try and not enough time or money. I had a good excuse because I put on some extra weight and my boards weren't paddling very well anymore.

I know a board is a whole package so its not great to narrow a boards performance down to a fin set-up, but I can definitely vouch for this fin set-up. Its a bizarre combination with the low drag fast and free feeling, plus it can be jammed like crazy. Thats even without a little nubbin middle fin.

Compared to all quads I've ridden it feels faster in a straight line, faster through turns, whippier in the tail, and very very sure footed with enough fin area in the main fins. I would say it pivots just as well as a thruster too. It removes that issue quads have making pivoting turns off the tail a little harder than a thruster. I'm sure they would make a traditional fish more user friendly, but in a more performance oriented board they are the ducks nuts.

The fin set-up makes a world of difference though. I was way off the mark in my first fin set-up, and had to try a few options first. Once I got it right though, damn it opened the board up. I'm riding the shapers tiniest side bites as the twinzer fins, and shapers S9 main fins.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:28 am

Here's a few pages of twinzer talk to meander through Cpt.
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/ubbthr ... 887&page=1
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:10 am

Anyone have a spare $800 they wanna lend me?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Here's a few pages of twinzer talk to meander through Cpt.
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/ubbthr ... 887&page=1
A lot of very interesting discussion there. The theories and experiences people are writing about there parallel with what I'm feeling exactly.

Faster than a twin fin, and can be hooked and jammed without anywhere near the same risk of slipping out.

Two main theories from these discussions seem to hold true. The analogy of the sailing boat which has a small lead sail, and a large main sail. The smaller sail creates and high a low pressure flow of water on either side which organises the water leading into the main fin for more lift. This presents itself as feeling faster and maintains its speed much better than a traditional twin fin (if thats even possible). The other benefit is that when the water is travelling closer to parallel angles in hard turns, the lead fin breaks the water flow first. This means the main fin isn't breaking the water flow itself, and can afford harder pressure and more extreme angles without disconnecting from the water pressure as easily. This leads to the fin maintaining pressure and lift under more extreme turns without disengaging and sliding out.

I'm going to make the call, for the surfing that I enjoy, it has far more advantages than quads for everyday Sydney surfing in my mind. It'll pivot on the spot in small spaces in small waves, and it has reckless abandon speed that twins are known for. Quads can often have that speed, but the extra fin area in the tail can reduce the pivot angles available. Thrusters have that pivot angle, but lose more speed through turns. I'm yet to determine if twinzers have a role to play in solid waves, I haven't tried any waves REALLY big yet. I can imagine quads will have some more advantages there for the sure-footed feeling through hard driving turns.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:34 am

Salivating.