new short board for big...old...guy...

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: new short board for big...old...guy...

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Only a rat can win the rat race.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:20 pm

petulance wrote:
alakaboo wrote:Have you ridden a biscuit? They are fun as hell in small beachies, unfortunately they are also made out of eggshells and cobwebs
Do you mean a biscuit shape in general, or the Channel Islands Biscuit model? I have seen one up close and it looked to me like a McCoy Nugget.
Mate if those boards look the same to you then I'd be getting my eyes checked rather than worry about gaining or losing a few hundred grams.

I remembered that the board I rode was a Pod, not a Biscuit.
The Pod has a more pulled in tail and more rocker.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 pm

My mate had a Merrick pod. Said it went good except I remember you could put depress the deck just by looking at it

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:56 am

Cuttlefish wrote:There's a 6'6" up for grabs.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bear-Fat-ars ... 462aa0ed8f
Cheers. It is much wider than my current 6'6".
alakaboo wrote: Mate if those boards look the same to you then I'd be getting my eyes checked rather than worry about gaining or losing a few hundred grams.
Funny you mentioned that, I scheduled an appointment with my optometrist earlier in the day.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:40 am

I had a look at the 6'6" version of the 7S Slipstream in the store yesterday. It looked good to my untrained eyes.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 pm

el rancho wrote:My mate had a Merrick pod. Said it went good except I remember you could put depress the deck just by looking at it
My son had a secondhand one. Thank god it wasn't bought new. Fins and nose snapped off, repaired then the whole tail snapped off. You could pretty well tear it up with one hand.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Beanpole wrote:
el rancho wrote:My mate had a Merrick pod. Said it went good except I remember you could put depress the deck just by looking at it
My son had a secondhand one. Thank god it wasn't bought new. Fins and nose snapped off, repaired then the whole tail snapped off. You could pretty well tear it up with one hand.
Fcuk that. Over cut blanks and shit glass jobs - it's the designed obsolescence of the modern HP board. Merricks in particular. Lightness is not always goodness.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Mollusc Robo?
Swallow or round tail?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:41 am

Well I would get the round tail version because I don't have a board with a round tail.

Spotted on GumTree today ... "5'10" Merrick Fred Rubble ... perfect for beginners!"

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks for all the input guys. I bought a Simon Anderson Mollusc Robo roundtail via Gumtree on the weekend. 6'3" x 20 1/2" x 2 3/4". The board came with FCS M7 fins. No feedback yet as I haven't had a proper surf on it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:41 am

Put in some smaller fins

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:22 pm

^^^
Maybe I plumped up to a Grooter-esque weight over the break ... ;)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Sounds good pet. Look forward to hearing how it goes. His site has some interesting observations re: board design.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:07 am

Get some m5's in it if it doesnt feel right... They pretty big fins for a petit man
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 am

Adversly, the bigger fins will give the board some more bite, depth, and drive for bigger surf. And also some added grip with surfing the all too often layered faces of maroubra, where he does most of his surfing .

Sure, the smaller fins are looser, more mavourable, but hold and projection, and more reach thru turns can be a good thing.

Petulance if the M7s don't work out, I will buy them off you
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for the input on the fins, guys. I now have a variety of fins (M3, M7, PC5 copy). I was using a set of Soar A9m fins on my 6'6" last year until I snapped a side fin. I borrowed a set of FCS Goods for a while (sized between a 3 and 5) before buying the PC5 copy. I think the PC5 copies has been good but hard to tell with the summer dribble so far.

I have never used M7s before but will give it a go. I can also put the M7s in my Miller 6'6" and use the PC5 copies in the Mollusc.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi how you finding the Robo. I like PC5s.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey, the Mollusc has been great. It was made by Base so it is probably a pre-2011 vintage. It must be a custom or the dimensions were different back then because current Mollusc Robos start at 6'5" and the the longest length of a normal Mollusc is 6'4". The logo on the board states that it is a Robo though.

The PC5 copies didn't sit flush on the deck with the Robo, even after some sanding. No such problems if I put the PC5 copies in the Miller as the Miller has Surfinz boxes. I ended up splashing the cash for a set of Simon Anderson SA-1 fins.

I haven't had a good run of waves in a while but I feel that my backhand has never been better. It could due to the board, fins or me.