Neal Purchase Jnr Quartet

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Neal Purchase Jnr Quartet

Post by batoes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Duo prelim review

Ok so I’ve ridden a few NPJ boards over the last four years or so.

5’7 stringerless quartet – one of the best boards I’ve owned
5’10 mote style single fin
5’7 quartet
5’3 squail
6’0 2+1

They have similar characteristics – all boards are fast and flow really nicely. I still own the squail and 2+1.

Now the Duo. 5’6, 20 ¼, 2 ¼ - flat deck. It has a few differences to the other boards. Firstly, the deck isn’t as flat as my squail. All the foam is neatly tucked under the chest – so it paddles well, even if the rails are thin, but the deck itself does looked rolled – and the rails aren’t blocky. It is actually really thinned out in the nose and the tail compared the other ones I’ve owned. And the nose is actually fairly point and not beaked at all. This board was shaped for Tommy and perhaps he asked for this – or it’s what NPJ is now doing with these – either way, the board, under the arm, feels great – really foiled out. The tail is rounded square and is about 16 inches wide. Although the board is short and wide, I don’t think it interferes with the performance characteristics.

I rode this board over the last week – from well overhead to about chest high – across dredging beachies, a point break, a reef and your run of the mill beachie.

The ride characteristics are quite unique. I can’t think of any other board that feels like this – and I’ve ridden a lot of different designs over the last ten years. The thing I noticed straight away was the acceleration. As soon as you are up, the board gets going. It has the twin fin speed from the get go, but the ride itself is quite different. You can find a highline, single fin style, or you can surf in the pocket and attack the lip. The word ‘snakey’ has been used to describe the board and I would agree. You feel the need to constantly move with the board, gliding, turning and pivoting. It has a much better turning radius than the quartet and is much faster than the mote single. Like most of NPJ’s boards, I think it’s best ridden with a narrow stance, but in this case, you don’t want your feet over the fins directly, as I found you tend to overpower the board – not slide out, just kook out. There is absolutely no tracking. The second quartet I owned felt tracky at times and over finned with its rounded pin like tail. The Duo doesn’t feel over finned at all and it has two big 7 inch fins in the back – but it also has a nice wide rounded square tail, so the board will jam out a hard turn, or wip into a cutback with ease.

Backhand has been interesting. I’m a crap backhand rider. My usual MO is to drop into a bottom turn and attack the lip. The duo has no problems with this approach and in fact it feels great pushing the tail hard in the bottom turn – no sliding out – which bonzers can do without the proper fin setup. The strange thing is, usually at the lip I just twist my body and throw the tail – however, the duo needs another effort after your body twist – almost like digging in your foot and it really gives out a huge spray.

Interestingly, the duo is what I imagined a single fin would feel like. I’ve ridden a few and have never been able to get them to work well. But jumping on this felt natural straight away, I didn’t even really need to adjust too much. That said, I ride bonzers and fishy quads, so maybe if you were coming off thrusters, then you would hate it, or would need to spend some time working through the narrows stance, forward ride and snake-like glide.

How does it compare to the quartet? It feels better through turns – very tight turning radius and it doesn’t lose speed. It’s hard to compare drive at the moment, because I haven’t ridden it in everything. Same glide, similar speed, different feeling of control – loose, but not out of control. At times for me, my most recent quartet was silly fast in good waves, whereas the duo (and my older quartet) seemed to be in tune with the wave and find the right line quickly and efficiently.

Better than a single – but that’s just my opinion. There are many who can get heaps out of a single fin.

Bonzers? Very different feel and of course bonzers have different fin set ups and plan shapes so this is only based on the five I’ve ridden. When a bonzer hits fifth gear, they levitate and feel like they are above the wave. These pockets of acceleration need to be found and used – usually from the bottom turn to the high line, whereas the duo seems to speed up right from the get go – you don’t need rider input. Bonzers don’t lose speed through turns and the duo feels like this too. Bonzers feel absolutely connected to the wave, in a good way. The duo feels skatey and snakey, but not out of control, especially if your feet are slightly forward – it glides and swoops with absolute clarity. Bonzers require fin tweaking over multiple sessions. The duo feels just right to me at 7 inches – I don’t think I will tweak at all.

How does it compare to a quad? Depends on the quad… my CV2 is really fast – the duo compares, but lots of boards I’ve ridden in the last five years have been really fast. All the tomos I’ve ridden have been insanely fast. The duo has better tail release, but the CV2 has more projection out of the bottom turn. The duo feels better through cutbacks, but the CV2 has better pop in snaps. Horses for courses here. CV2 is fishy performance. Duo is single, hybrid glidey performance.

Sadly, the board is in average condition. This is the peril of the internet purchase…the pics look good, till you get it…it has dings galore, a crappy repair on the nose and cracks and foot wells everywhere. I think this board is glassed lightly and maybe that’s what Tommy asked for – it is light, but I’ve already added to a few of the bumps, which means the board won’t last a year and will likely end up like my favourite stringerless quartet which was snapped within 12 months of owning it. That board was a second hander too, and in worse condition, so maybe I’ll get 18 months out of the duo, which would be nice. This board is not worth what I paid for it, but if it does end up broken, I would definitely look into getting another duo. It is a unique ride – fast, fun, loose, glidey, but has some really strong performance at the lip and in the finish of the wave. I made a solid backhand barrel that other boards wouldn’t have out at the point over the weekend.

Duo = two fins up.

Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Nice one Batoes, cheers mate.

Would love to give one a go...
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Cranked
Snowy McAllister

Post by Cranked » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Sounds and looks a great board Batoes and I like the shape. What fins are you using, I assume dolphin double foiled?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Cranked wrote:Sounds and looks a great board Batoes and I like the shape. What fins are you using, I assume dolphin double foiled?
It's the ones that NPJ does in all of them - they are fairly upright in rake, very similar to TA Bonzer fins, but yes - double foiled. I'll take a pic and send it through when i'm out of the hell hole...
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Unreal review Batoes. Was really interested in your view on the back hand. Got a "Snubby" plan shape but totally different all up by the sounds. As you said/have said before ride a NPJr with a HPS stance it just doesn't work for mind. Cheers again.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:58 am

They are more upright than his single and 2+1 setups i think.

Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:17 am

Great review. Comprehensive and good to read the comparos with other Npj's and the cv2.
JaM71 and I called into the Sunhouse a while back and their was an NPJ jr personal duo 7'er for sale.
I told the guy there it was a shame that the quality of the glassing let the appeal of buying it used for $750 down.
He was less than impressed. He thought that the deck sinking either side of the stringer was no issue whatsoever. I begged to differ.
Anyway...I reckon these Alkali fins would release better due to the area loss in the tip and make it really light up on your backhand.
http://www.alkalifins.com/fin-range/classic-single.html
Only a rat can win the rat race.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:53 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Great review. Comprehensive and good to read the comparos with other Npj's and the cv2.
JaM71 and I called into the Sunhouse a while back and their was an NPJ jr personal duo 7'er for sale.
I told the guy there it was a shame that the quality of the glassing let the appeal of buying it used for $750 down.
He was less than impressed. He thought that the deck sinking either side of the stringer was no issue whatsoever. I begged to differ.
Anyway...I reckon these Alkali fins would release better due to the area loss in the tip and make it really light up on your backhand.
http://www.alkalifins.com/fin-range/classic-single.html
Yeah - the condition is disappointing - the ride isn't. Not sure whether i'd throw in new fins for a while. Keen to ride it for two months flat chat.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JaM71
Local

Post by JaM71 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Awesome review Batoes, very detailed.......I think i might ve found my next toy!!!

Cheers for that
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:46 pm

JaM71 wrote:Awesome review Batoes, very detailed.......I think i might ve found my next toy!!!

Cheers for that
I think with this board - volume is key. So really think about how you want to surf it - keep the flat deck imo. :-D-:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Must have

You mean enough volume?

JET01
charger

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Gents,

Been keeping an eye out for a second hand quartet.

I'm 77kg. I know his boards are pretty much a custom for each rider.
I'm thinking that something around the 5'10 x (19 3/4 - 20) x (2 1/2 - 2 5/8).

any thoughts?

Would love to hear on the size to weight from previous owners.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 pm

If its a flat deck which Neal often does it will hold a lot more foam to the rails then a rolled deck.
Last edited by Drailed on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Yeah Drailed is right - flat decks are thicker. I've had a few - 5'6, 70kg - most have been around 5'6, 19 3/4, 2 3/8 - rolled deck and that's plenty of foam. Jam71 had a 5'10 similar dims to that mentioned above and is around 75kg? maybe less? Go 2 1/2 - they carry some foam.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

saltman
Harry the Hat

Post by saltman » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 am

JET01 wrote:Gents,

Been keeping an eye out for a second hand quartet.

I'm 77kg. I know his boards are pretty much a custom for each rider.
I'm thinking that something around the 5'10 x (19 3/4 - 20) x (2 1/2 - 2 5/8).

any thoughts?

Would love to hear on the size to weight from previous owners.
Pretty sure I saw one similar dims at the sun house 2 weeks ago
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:18 pm

I'm with Batoes I've had two. Personally I like a thicker rolled deck rounded square. the foil is pretty even end to end so 2 1/2 rolled would be plenty. I've had a more refined round tail quartet and it was fast and better use in good waves but I'd opt for the chunkier square tail as they are heaps of fun and snake along like twins a bit and probably like nothing on your current quiver. I love mine.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Davros wrote:I'm with Batoes I've had two. Personally I like a thicker rolled deck rounded square. the foil is pretty even end to end so 2 1/2 rolled would be plenty. I've had a more refined round tail quartet and it was fast and better use in good waves but I'd opt for the chunkier square tail as they are heaps of fun and snake along like twins a bit and probably like nothing on your current quiver. I love mine.
yeah my first quartet was 5'7, 19 3/4, 2 7/16 - stringerless. It had a narrow round squarish tail and the centre was at least three inches forward with flat rocker. It went from knee high to overhead - super fast and light.

Loved this board, but it was in an average state and died a heroic death at mystics about 12 months after i got it ...i've yet to find one like it. NPJ doesn't do stringerless now - but he has been messing about with varial foam and if he goes ahead with that stuff, i'm getting one.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:13 pm

They are hard to kill so it must have been solid as