Re: Steve O'Donnell

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

kjpwong
Grommet

Re: Steve O'Donnell

Post by kjpwong » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:44 pm

does anyone know steve odonnell up at the northern beaches? what is the price range for his mals and custom shaped longboards?
:lol:

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:27 am

go see him in brookvale ?

Or go and speak to the crew at freshie or manly riding his boards

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:45 pm

his boards are OK but the one i got I felt was a bit overpriced. Going back to previous shaper, better noseriders and cheaper too. cant tell ya who, don't want him getting any extra work, coz he already take ages to make a board.

Ask yaself: do i really need a custom?

kjpwong
Grommet

Post by kjpwong » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:34 pm

i probably dont need a custom shaped board. then how much are his already made ones?
where could you get a longboard for under 900 bucks apart from 2nd hand boards instead of going a big-name brand which will cost over 1k. (in sydney)

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:37 pm

if you pay anywhere near 900 squid for ya first mal you're either a sucker or ya not haggling enuff.

Also, whats wrong with slightly used boards? some of the best bargains are in this category because there is so many middle aged fat yuppies getting into mals and they all buy new boards, especially if you are not super skilled at riding mals, you'll just end up dinging the things up anyway. Try the back room at bennets or maybe wicks or surfection. also a lot of the major stores in and around manly have second hand boards.

I got one of my first customs for $810 and it was 9'6" with an 8oz opaque green glass job shaped by the northern beaches finest.

kjpwong
Grommet

Post by kjpwong » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:23 pm

this is the second mal i m getting, i bought my first one up at QLD and i m giving my first one to my little brother. i have no idea what the price range of longboards are in sydney and i m not going to QLD for another while.
maybe second hand boards are the way to go. Jacksons down near cronulla looks alright, and i will have a look at bennett's at brookvale as well.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:26 pm

I certainly won't be paying 900 bucks for a new mal .

i'll be tlaking to a good shaper, not buying from retail store, although I do like Spud at Wicks and Greg down at Bennetts

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:27 pm

Also try the outlets at mona vale too , in the warehouse areas

kjpwong wrote:this is the second mal i m getting, i bought my first one up at QLD and i m giving my first one to my little brother. i have no idea what the price range of longboards are in sydney and i m not going to QLD for another while.
maybe second hand boards are the way to go. Jacksons down near cronulla looks alright, and i will have a look at bennett's at brookvale as well.

Dave
regular
Location: Central coast, out the back, 6 foot and glassy, no crowds

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:17 am

WANDERER wrote:
Also, whats wrong with slightly used boards? some of the best bargains are in this category because there is so many middle aged fat yuppies getting into mals and they all buy new boards...
hehehe... damn right Wanderer. I picked up a excellent mal from the man you described above. He had it custon made by Mark Rabbage and I bought it 'hardly used' for 300 bucks. It goes sweet....

kjpwong, look up retro longboards and give Mark a call. I would easily recommend his baords

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:44 am

You should also consider a run by Dripping Wet in Manly, they have a good range of used mals (including one of my own on consigment) that should be within your budget. Good hunting...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Fancy using yar own name online... eh hollywood...

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:58 pm

Surfection at Mona Vale get some longboards in fairly often as well