Board in between shorty and mal

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

BigJ

Re: Board in between shorty and mal

Post by BigJ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Took my daughter to the park at Rainbow Bay on Friday. The waves were absolutely pumping but with the Kirra Teams challenge on and about 1000 punters in the water would have been very frustrating and dangerous (a mate got hit twice and brand new board badly dinged by a kook bailing his board).
Had a quick surf on the low tide at Kingy on Saturday and got a couple but pretty average, was good in the morning on the higher tide and that was me during the swell.
Was intrigued by the Submoon but its quite a different board with such a thin tail etc. Really would prefer to spend my dollars on Aussie made boards but was intrigued how the SM would go.
Glad to hear how much you enjoy the vquad, certainly has me interested. The 7'6" has a really nice outline.
Had a look around Byron on Saturday morning and some of the big factories were open and a lot of the boards between 7-8ft are mostly to me just look to be made for beginers and are not overly appealing.
Still have my DVS micro mal, lots of fun. Even took it to the Banyaks early October and was fun upto about 4ft or so.
Certainly got me thinking about the vquad.
Cheers

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Those Gato Heiro mini Killers look fun

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm thinking of a 7' mollusc. Those SA boards are quite refined, and a long but not too long board like that looks like it'd work well. Love a jd version but I've already got one this year so funds might be an issue. I find most mid lengths these days are over foamed and too thick in the rail for me, fun for sure but not for steeper waves.

Hows the GM going Pete?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:27 am

Alas the GM and a few others that I always rode in larger waves were recently sold to help find cash to pay for the van we are using for our road trip.
Selling the GM was a very difficult thing for me to do.
The guys in the surf shop didn't want me to sell it either as they fully appreciated just how good a board it was.
If I didn't have the vquad I couldn't have done it.
I took it into my local surfshop and it lasted a day before I went and took it home again.
Then the money still wasn't enough for the van so I took it in again.
It ended up being bought by a guy who's taken it to Lombok.
Hopefully it will have a good run over there.
There's been very little in the way of decent sized waves for the GM for a long time.
The other thing is when it's been surfable lately it's onshore at the same time with the only option being a crap fight at Noosa for some clean waves.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

mrpotato
Grommet

Post by mrpotato » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:53 pm

mrpotato wrote:What are the dimensions/shape of the of TOE model and roughly how much for custom?
Thanks for the advice Collnarra, my big toe arrived a few weeks ago and have had a good number of sessions on it over the past week around Manly to Longy and the board is exactly what I was after. Has the paddling ability of my old millers but feels so much more like my shorties when on the wave compared to the millers which feels a little too floaty once up and riding.

I've also got a 6'6" mollusc but find it doesn't paddle/surf so well when the waves aren't perfect where this board is good regardless of whether it is perfect or not. Very happy surfer indeed!