Modern Blackfish opinions?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

BudgySmuggler

Modern Blackfish opinions?

Post by BudgySmuggler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi guys.

I've been looking at the Modern Blackfish http://www.surfindustries.com/surfboard ... ckfish.php to fill a big gap in my board quiver and wanted to get some opinions.

I weigh 75kg, live in Canberra and am very much a Newbie. I currently own a 7'2 (i think) soft board I inherented from a cousin, and a 6'4 80's fibreglass shortboard from an uncle. The foam board is too freaking heavy and was never the right size for me. The shortboard is fantastic when there is good surf, but i can't use it when conditions aren't ideal.

I'm looking for something I can take to the south coast and use regardless of whether surf is good or trash, it has to work well in small surf.

At the moment I'm in mooloolaba and there is a 6' or 7' blackfish for $470. Does anyone have an opinion on this as a beginner friendly small wave board? And would 7' be worth buying (i think a 6'8 would be closer to my ideal size)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Modern Blackfish opinions?

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:51 pm

I thought you were holidaying in France BS?
Modern Blackfish does look interesting.
However its always hard to know until you actually try one.
By the way I thought your address to the nation new years message was the lamest piece of poop Ive ever heard.
Bit about the Kooris was the only highlight.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

BudgySmuggler

Post by BudgySmuggler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Nah, the frogs wouldn't have me. I'm glad my Kooris bit served as your wisdom suppository of the day ;)

The problem in Canberra is trying different styles of board is next to impossible. The other thing that's been suggested is this http://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com.au ... -mini-mal/ glide sea pony in 7' (the shop has all sizes) for $490.

Any of you board gurus wNt to take a guess how the two will behave differently?

One of the guys in a surf shop told me the epoxy sea pony would be low quality trash that would delaminate. But he also tried to sell me a $700 custom board he had, so I'm suspicious he was just pushing for a sale.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Well BS I reckon those boards all have about as much chance of delaminating as any epoxy board.
They aren't very specific about bottom shape, rails, etc so its hard to say just how ordinary they are.
I would imagine fairly ordinary. Personally I reckon the scorpion rip off they make could be a better overall ride but who know until you ride one. Obviously all straight from China so you can continue your free trade agenda. Hope selling off all government assets and devolving all responsibility onto the public while avoiding any responsibility yourself goes well for you this year, cheers.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

BudgySmuggler

Post by BudgySmuggler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:47 pm

I ended up doing my part to stop the (Chinese import) boats and bought a second hand Bourton shapes fibreglass board in a local shop.

It was an absolute impulse buy, but the dimensions were almost exactly what I was after and the price ($290 Inc fins and a bag) was too good to walk past after looking at $500 pop outs.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Good on you BS Burton makes a quality product. Cheap buy.
Now if you can just give Chris Pyne a chronic wedgie when you get back to work and kick Scott Morrison in the nuts you can start the year in style. Regards to Peta Crellin :wink:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?