Geoff McCoy Surfboards Collectors Corner

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Geoff McCoy Surfboards Collectors Corner

Post by batoes » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 pm

MrMik wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:24 pm
batoes wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 pm
... So i wonder if that's who Geoff is pissed at?
I think it's Cheyne Horan at the moment: http://www.cheynehoran.com.au/surfshop/ ... tegoryId=4
i see...
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 pm

....and maybe Darren Rogers. https://instagram.com/p/BWRRQNFBuRg/

They're collaborating on some interesting boards. One of the first collab boards was Cheynes Bells board - originally shaped by Terry Fitz, with the real hull front end.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Darren Rogers wrote:

" makes everyone happy and then in the end , looks , (using my favourite word for boards ) ORGANIC. A few shots of the stoke im still feeling. Thanks to Cheyne for giving me the opportunity to work with his designs then fully flex my shaping muscles "

Well, it does not make Geoff McCoy happy when they try to sell an obvious Lazor Zap in that way: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVlopKeBm1X ... randesigns

No doubt they have boards that are not straight McCoy replica attempts, but some of them sure look like it.

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:14 am

Funnily enough original Zaps aren't that enjoyable to ride. So maybe a modern version is a good idea.
Because of the 3" of foam when you paddled for a wave it rotataed on the surface, yawing from side to side.
Because of the thick rails and wide tail it never wanted to get on a rail, so the best you can do are shallow turns or flat spin snaps.
If you do force it onto a rail because of the distance of the fin away from the rail it does Skip out.thats why the extra Long fin is needed.

I did ride on of Cheynes 83' boards exclusively for a year and down this page you can see the ones I have now.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/casting ... ns?page=21

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 am

I don't even have a Zap, too hard to surf for my mediocre abilities.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:51 am

SURFFOILS wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:14 am
Funnily enough original Zaps aren't that enjoyable to ride. So maybe a modern version is a good idea.
Because of the 3" of foam when you paddled for a wave it rotataed on the surface, yawing from side to side.
Because of the thick rails and wide tail it never wanted to get on a rail, so the best you can do are shallow turns or flat spin snaps.
If you do force it onto a rail because of the distance of the fin away from the rail it does Skip out.thats why the extra Long fin is needed.

I did ride on of Cheynes 83' boards exclusively for a year and down this page you can see the ones I have now.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/casting ... ns?page=21
3 mccoy singles... you're a glutton for punishment surffoils.

I've just gone back to mccoys after a few years on more conventional shapes. 3 tsa zots and a nugget (zots 6'1, 6'8, 7', nugget 7'4)

Gave the zots a good try in decent bali surf, twice a day for a week. One good 2' wave at temples, otherwise the worst boards ive ever ridden. Once they were converted to quads they instantly became candidates for the best boards ive ridden. Good for 1'-6', possibly to 8' (I'll swap between the 7' zot and the 7'4 nugget and see whats up)
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:30 am

I think they were an amazing variation, they were a part of that progressive design
period and linked to one of the most exciting talents of Cheyne. There were more a revelation than a destination. An essential stepping stone.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 am

Cranked wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:51 am

Gave the zots a good try in decent bali surf, twice a day for a week. One good 2' wave at temples, otherwise the worst boards ive ever ridden. Once they were converted to quads they instantly became candidates for the best boards ive ridden. Good for 1'-6', possibly to 8' (I'll swap between the 7' zot and the 7'4 nugget and see whats up)
I put quads in a 6'8 zot a few years ago. I liked it as a single fin, but once the quads were in I never looked back. Put in the DVS keel like quad set, but it was too much fin. Then replaced the back 2 with lil sidebites from a DVS all rounder and it came alive. I'm not going to light up any beaches with my performance surfing, but it just worked for me in fast running beachbreaks.

I think the Astron Zot was Geoff's modern makeover of the Lazor Zap, have some recollection of him mentioning that in an interview somewhere, maybe SW?