Geoff McCoy Surfboards Collectors Corner

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Geoff McCoy Surfboards Collectors Corner

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Beanpole wrote:Yes after moving over from the family coffin making business to surfboards. Peter Turner started out working for him. Quite a few Kingy Guys had his boards. Gary Davis aka Podgey had one with a huge Merrin Logo right across the bottom.
Graeme''s cousin, Russ was in my class in high school. So was Peter Turner. Russ' s father was the Tweed Heads undertaker. Peter's father was our maths teacher.
Graeme lived with his parents who owned flats at Kirra and started out making surf wax in the garage.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:13 pm

I remember that wax. He ended up marrying a school mates sister.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Beanpole wrote:I remember that wax. He ended up marrying a school mates sister.
Last heard from in Hawaii. So the rumour goes. I liked him. I guess he's a couple of years older than I am but he was always good to us young guys.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Well Murray Burton had a few interesting things to say about his factory in an interview a while ago.

Side slippers were also quite popular around this time as I remember. Midget had a production model.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:10 pm

Trev wrote:
Beanpole wrote:I remember that wax. He ended up marrying a school mates sister.
Last heard from in Hawaii. So the rumour goes. I liked him. I guess he's a couple of years older than I am but he was always good to us young guys.
http://www.graememerrin.com/
Beanpole

Skipper

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Actually saw a stack of McCoy Double Enders that looked like I might like to ride them.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:34 am

Beanpole wrote:Actually saw a stack of McCoy Double Enders that looked like I might like to ride them.
The real McCoy or the light weight Thai ones?
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:07 pm

McCoy double Enders do look like a lot of fun for average beachies

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:57 pm

JaM71 wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Actually saw a stack of McCoy Double Enders that looked like I might like to ride them.
I'd say the later. That's probably why they looked good......he didn't shape them. :-D-:

Had the retro McCoy Logo as well.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:06 pm

Beanpole wrote:
JaM71 wrote:
I'd say the later. That's probably why they looked good......he didn't shape them. :-D-:
Geoff was sent all the new TSA boards for his inspection before he allowed them to be released for sale.....so no , he didn't actually shape them , but he made sure they were true to his designs in every detail.......actually no one shaped them , but Geoff McCoy had total control (and no one else) over what was produced , with his name on it ......he rejected the first few they sent to him , and told them to lift their game and fix it or the deal's off.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:59 am

That was the first lot kayu, they were all reshaped (rails, thickness, plan, rocker) for 2015. When I found the tail lift on the nuggets had nearly disappeared I corresponded with Geoff and he did not know that it had even occurred, then went into denial of the extent. Based on no evidence at all, it looks to me like Darren Rogers was responsible for the reshaping, but who knows?

I'm not riding them any more, too flat in the tail for those classic McCoy full rail turns.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:12 am

I've owned a 6'4, 6'8 and 7' (TSA original shapes). They have a very flat rocker, so are fast and catch waves easily, but I had trouble with turning them and catching the nose in steep take offs, not pearling, but just catching and stopping me turning down the line quickly enough. The 7' surfed like an 8', the 6'4 and 6'8 were OK. The new nuggets have approximately the same tail rocker as the DEs

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Cranked wrote:That was the first lot kayu, they were all reshaped (rails, thickness, plan, rocker) for 2015. When I found the tail lift on the nuggets had nearly disappeared I corresponded with Geoff and he did not know that it had even occurred, then went into denial of the extent. Based on no evidence at all, it looks to me like Darren Rogers was responsible for the reshaping, but who knows?

I'm not riding them any more, too flat in the tail for those classic McCoy full rail turns.
.....So , Geoff is aware these design changes ......Darren Rogers is probably more familiar with McCoy boards than anyone.....but he is not Geoff McCoy....so the only place to get a real one is still in Byron from Geoff McCoy....next thing they'll be doing is quad fins with no volume.....mass marketing is a strange business.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:38 pm

Cranked wrote:
I've owned a 6'4, 6'8 and 7' (TSA original shapes). They have a very flat rocker, so are fast and catch waves easily, but I had trouble with turning them and catching the nose in steep take offs, not pearling, but just catching and stopping me turning down the line quickly enough. The 7' surfed like an 8', the 6'4 and 6'8 were OK. The new nuggets have approximately the same tail rocker as the DEs

Would the double ender be good for weak summer longboard type waves??. Single fin

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Beerfan wrote:Would the double ender be good for weak summer longboard type waves??. Single fin
Yeah, absolutely, the difference between the TSA 6'8 and the 7' was huge, but its not a mal by any means.

I have 3 2+1 boards that I ride around Perth (6'4 fat arsed wombat, 7'10 Takayama egg and a custom 7' pin tail mal with big concaves), when I swap the fins around I'm always amazed at how much a single fin limits the performance of a surfboard.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 pm

Cranked wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Would the double ender be good for weak summer longboard type waves??. Single fin
Yeah, absolutely, the difference between the TSA 6'8 and the 7' was huge, but its not a mal by any means.

I have 3 2+1 boards that I ride around Perth (6'4 fat arsed wombat, 7'10 Takayama egg and a custom 7' pin tail mal with big concaves), when I swap the fins around I'm always amazed at how much a single fin limits the performance of a surfboard.
...always amazed how much using only a single fin in a board designed to be used as a 2+1 board limits the performance...' ???

You are welcome to borrow my 6'6'' XF Nugget with added quad and single fin options and try it out, if you promise to treat it well and to give a ride report. However, it is the 'new' XF shape with FCS2 plugs and probably less tail rocker. I have not measured it and have none of the FCS XF boards to compare it to.
Attachments
DSC_0012cropped-reduced_more.JPG
(87.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks MrMic, unfortunately I'm in Perth tho'.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Cranked wrote:Thanks MrMic, unfortunately I'm in Perth tho'.
Oh, sorry, I thought EVERYONE must be on the Gold Coast, it just looks like it lately! :D