getting old, dont want struggle on a shorty

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: getting old, dont want struggle on a shorty

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:34 pm

I've got a 5'9" timbertek baked potato but a lot of the time I have more fun on a mid length Woosley's Vquad (from Beachbeat).
Especially on the high tide banks around Maroochydore where they run into deeper water inbetween the outside banks and the shorey.
The longer board has the glide that the baked potato can't match.
Lower tides then the baked is fun.
You'd probably have to go for a run down to Currumbin to demo a Baked potato.
If you're after a dedicated groveller get in contact with Mark from More surfboards because I've been impressed watching how good the "dung beetle" model goes in ordinary conditions at Maroochydore.
He also has a model called the "fat beaver" which is a good choice if you're after something in a 6'-7' range.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Winni

Post by Winni » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:I've got a 5'9" timbertek baked potato but a lot of the time I have more fun on a mid length Woosley's Vquad (from Beachbeat).
Especially on the high tide banks around Maroochydore where they run into deeper water inbetween the outside banks and the shorey.
The longer board has the glide that the baked potato can't match.
Lower tides then the baked is fun.
You'd probably have to go for a run down to Currumbin to demo a Baked potato.
If you're after a dedicated groveller get in contact with Mark from More surfboards because I've been impressed watching how good the "dung beetle" model goes in ordinary conditions at Maroochydore.
He also has a model called the "fat beaver" which is a good choice if you're after something in a 6'-7' range.
Thanks Cuttlefish, with your extensive knowledge of the Firewire range, what are your thoughts on a 6'6" or 6'10" Advance? They seem to be more of an all rounder.
Cheers

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:26 pm

The 6'10" would be my pick.
That way you'll be enjoying some glide but in a short enough rail line and a pulled in tail that will turn easily when you step back on it.
Catching waves will be a breeze.
Both the sizes will handle up to 5-6' easily.
The 6'6" I had I treated like an over-sized shorty and was able to duckdive a few waves in a row easily at 92 kgs and with its volume being 48 litres.
But it didn't quite have enough glide to connect the inside and outside banks on high tide.
They really are a well thought out super user friendly board.
Hard to find used.
A run down the Goldie would be worthwhile to demo one.
Especially this week and the next week.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Winni

Post by Winni » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 pm

I had 2 days demo of the Walden Mini Mega Magic on the weekend. The 6'10" model, they have heaps of volume and it paddled better and caught more waves than my 8'6" Mal. Tried it as quad set up, and it took me 3 surfs to get it moving but it was heaps of fun. A mate who only surfs mals had a go and thought it was fantastic as well. So there's two boards sold to 2 old blokes, get mine tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.51 KiB) Viewed 7658 times

Winni

Post by Winni » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Surfed the mini mega magic this morning in some sizeable waves, loved it fast and responsive, with the added bonus of getting me in early. Biggest complaint on this board is duck dive, too much volume. If your getting old and still want a short board this board I can highly recomend.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 am

Those things look about 4.5" thick.
Have seen some good surfing on them however.

On a similar note: reading a few things about boards to take to the Mentawis made me think of the general confusion this causes old codgers going to Indo generally. Last time I went I really blew it board wise and left the 7'6" gunny shape I had purposely bought a year earlier to travel with. Bought a 6'6" corky model. I had been surfing 6'6" boards a fair bit before that. When I bought it the guy in the shop was discouraging me from going for something a bit longer because I would still want to surf it when I got home. Reckoned it would be fine for most waves over there. Riding the reef at Sanur was mentioned since I was staying there.

Well after having it for well over a year now and having a run on surfing it over summer I can safely say it sucks in anything over shoulder high waves and is particularly bad in hollow offshore conditions. It's at it's best in junky small full waves that I wouldn't take my mal out in.

Excellent advice yet again from a surf shop.

Anyway I'm now back thinking about 7' to 7'6" for my next jaunt. Might even just take the board I was originally going to take last time and save money.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Beanpole wrote:Those things look about 4.5" thick.
Have seen some good surfing on them however.

On a similar note: reading a few things about boards to take to the Mentawis made me think of the general confusion this causes old codgers going to Indo generally. Last time I went I really blew it board wise and left the 7'6" gunny shape I had purposely bought a year earlier to travel with. Bought a 6'6" corky model. I had been surfing 6'6" boards a fair bit before that. When I bought it the guy in the shop was discouraging me from going for something a bit longer because I would still want to surf it when I got home. Reckoned it would be fine for most waves over there. Riding the reef at Sanur was mentioned since I was staying there.

Well after having it for well over a year now and having a run on surfing it over summer I can safely say it sucks in anything over shoulder high waves and is particularly bad in hollow offshore conditions. It's at it's best in junky small full waves that I wouldn't take my mal out in.

Excellent advice yet again from a surf shop.

Anyway I'm now back thinking about 7' to 7'6" for my next jaunt. Might even just take the board I was originally going to take last time and save money.
Hi beany

An MC Islander @ the 7' mark would be an excellent Indo board. Cuttlefish really enjoys his 8' when there is a bit of swell on the points.
http://www.mcsurf.com.au/products/i/1678/1
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Or an Outerislands. They look sweet as and you can see they're built for good waves.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Look at Mitchell Rae's Outer Island boards, stuff for Indo is great take your personal Plimsol line in with you.
Consider also a custom Wizsticks from the central coast, the 7S designs came from here for the weightier/older guys and the customs by Wiz fit Indo well. Also Jack Knight wherever he is ( thinking Queensland). All did well by my needs.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Or way, how did you find your Outerislands here at home in decent waves?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Yep. Looked at Outerislands.
There's a guy at Bondi with one of his mini mals.
Gee it looks nice.
Saw a nice one at Crescent last week too.
Good ideas. Thanks, I will check those other sites out.
MC boards always look good.

I guess one thing that gets me is there are actually alternatives out there but you get side tracked by young guys in surf shops who really have no idea.
I mean the shop I bought this last board in had a pretty comprehensive selection of boards but didn't even considering pointing me in any other direction.

I've decided they are generally like car dealerships.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Beerfan wrote:Or way, how did you find your Outerislands here at home in decent waves?
Beerfan It is my go to board I now have two one standard mal but with the concaves and a V2 but without the flextail, I rideit as big as I am game to ride at Merimbula Bar and round the deep south and ride it as a single fin in very small surf.
They both are 9ft, rate 3-) for me. Went exceedingly well over Easter, bar as big as it can be and hasn't been that way for several years. Crowded as all get up, 50 to 60 out. Mostly clueless :shock:
BTW I turn 65 next month whilst in Indo again.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 am

Nice mate. I think an Outerislands would be one of the few boards that could tempt me away from another JD. I'll see how the knee recovers, there is a chance it may affect my surfing, so might have to go for something longer and more stable rather than a shorter, fast turning shooter. If so I could be very tempted by an Outerislands. Nice clean shapes.