why ride mals when its hollow

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

I like gulls
Grommet

Hollow waves??

Post by I like gulls » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:23 pm

Although I'm not the same vintage as soulman, my sentiments exactly.

In many situations it is a greater challenge to ride a longboard in pumping surf, and to really push the limits, than to jump on the short board.

I think it is often dissapointing to see anyone out on the shoulder or not pushing it, but we all have to push our own personal limits, however under developed they might be.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Re: why ride mals when its hollow

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:52 pm

for years i have been surfing with my bro at suck up at Longy, the one reason we don't get yelled out and labelled is we charge suck up on our 9 footers rather than sitting half a mile out at bomby picking up the slop and skiing through the bombie to the shory....

One of the most fun things i like to doing is going hard down the line at Longy and hitting the lip to get some air on my 9 footer....short boarders respect attempting all sorts of stuff...

tRoy

nubby wrote:ive always wondered this.....why ride a mal when its hollow? i dont know how many filth kegs ive seen peel off and spit behind a dude trimming out on the shoulder on his log. and dont give me all that "have you seen those hawaiian guys bla bla bla" im not talkin about them. im askin YOU. your regular garden variety mal rider. havent you guys ever heard the term HORSES FOR COURSES.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:54 pm

Nubby, where is your local ? I 'll love to give it a go ?

nubby wrote:hey kalakau kid..... read up on my first post, i said dont tell me about the hawaiian guys doin this and that, i know they rip, i know they get kegged....im askin YOU guys, not bonga and the boys. and im not sayin you all gotta do this or that, but dont you LIKE GETTING BARRELLED? i started this topic cause my local is a harsh steep ledging tube, and is frequented by a crowd of mal riders who do nothin but get hurt tryin to pull in.........and before you sook back at me, have a cold drink and realize im not havin a shot at mals, im just dont understand what alot of you guys are thinkin.......

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:08 pm

y should it matter what other surfers are doing on their waves? worry about your own surfing and let them enjoy their wave, if they want to get barrelled, then they will. if they just want to ride it on the shoulder, what are you gonna do to stop them? you gonna paddle over and tell them how to surf? theres my oppinion on the matter. btw nubby i aint gettin pissed at ya, i just dont like surfers who worry about everyone elses surfing and devote their entire surfing life to looking out for peaople who surf bad just to get the 'satisfaction' of calling them a kook. i say worry about you own surfing, not everyone elses.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:23 pm

I also agree with that statement well most of it anyway.

Freshie Boy
regular

Re: why ride mals when its hollow

Post by Freshie Boy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:20 pm

nubby wrote: havent you guys ever heard the term HORSES FOR COURSES.
Why are there always shortboarders paddling for shit waves and IF they get up, they spend all FIVE SECONDS on the wave jumping up and down.

If it were horses for courses why aren't there so millions of regular garden variety shortboarders at PIPE or CHOPES, isn't that a perfect SHORTBOARD wave????

NO! If you ask a DICKHEAD question you get a DICKHEAD ANSWER

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:55 pm

You are very right FRESHIE BOY. They NORMALLY have crap wave selection. (SOME, NOT ALL). The groms especially dont wait for the proper sets that are short boarderble. They tAke my damn waves at freshy on a 1ft day. (probally cause im not a hard arse local like u pat) jj

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:23 pm

ah leave the mals alone, theyr kool in their own right

slave1970

Post by slave1970 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:33 pm

Why do so many shortboarders chase after the small slop on the inside so much these days?

The answer is so simple!!!!!

Because any decent wave that comes through all ready has five or so longboarders on it already dropping in everywhere.

I chatted with a father out in the surf recently who made a brilliant point. Not so long ago the Groms were catching up to 20 decent rides a session but now they are lucky to catch 10 over a period of 2 hours. After this comment I sat and watched as the same pack of 8 or so longboarders took every wave that came through.

Watching this and already knowing it myself it is hard not to blame the longboard its self without really seeing that it is the selfish idiots riding the boards and not the boards themselves.

It is such a shame Longboards are getting such a bad name within the surfing community because of the useless self centered kooks riding them.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:18 am