SUP's

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: SUP's

Post by alakaboo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Well that's just silly.

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Get a 12'6" semi displacement hull, they go great on flatwater.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I reckon 9'0" x 50" x 5" will do the trick. Paddle length 11'1" for thrust and treats to other surfers. They won't get near you
Vision of him handing candy to the groms from a paddle :-?
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 pm

nthnbeachesguy wrote:Get a 12'6" semi displacement hull, they go great on flatwater.
Sounds like sensible advice. Though I've sort of gone off the idea now. Thanks anyway.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Well I had a proper go on one in flat open ocean, and I have to say...is that it?

They suck in any sort of wind. I mean they really suck.
It didn't seem like much of a core or shoulder workout at all, which I thought was a key point of them, though I was surprised how much work your calves do keeping balance in chop. Thighs get a workout if you really try and go fast.

I know I was on a barge (11' x 30" x 4 or something like that) and I certainly wasn't paddling perfectly but I'm sort of missing the mass appeal?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 am

alakaboo wrote:I know I was on a barge (11' x 30" x 4 or something like that) and I certainly wasn't paddling perfectly but I'm sort of missing the mass appeal?
So you totally didn't get the whole jesus walking on water thing?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Checking out where some of these surf tools get produced in china. Talk about a mark up.
Those really short, fat ones would have to be the stupidest idea I've seen for quite a while.
If they are such good core exercise how come most admirals of the aircraft carriers seem to have prominent
guts stretched to bursting under their wetsuits.
Most of them are just big pop outs with little design.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Um, I've heard SUP paddling is particularly bad for that part of the shoulder.
Anything apart from canoe paddling is unlikely to be good if it is still aggravated.

I told my physio I was going to kayak a few weeks after damaging my shoulder and she had a fit.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Fong ... don't give up just yet ... have you considered masturbating in the shallows ... with the good arm of course.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Not really wave catching, but you could use one of those mirage-drive fishing kayaks.

They're heavy, though, you'd need to be able to walk it to where you used it, loading it on the roof is not fun.

I reckon Coops is overstating the shoulder strain from bodyboarding/paipo riding, if you don't paddle with your arms.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:17 pm

fongss wrote:After the shit coops went tho I kinda trust his views :|

Paddling a sup uses a different motion than a kayak

I'm going give a demo a go

If it hurts I want do it anymore

P.s and I'm only interested in surfing on one.... That's the point of them isn't it :twisted:
Stay away from my local. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:22 pm

I got a 11'0" x 31 x 4 pintail. I can fit either the kids on it, but not both. More important than the board is a paddle. I got lucky and got a carbon Core 4 from hawaii. It was second hand for $250. They guy who bought it got it too short for him. Paddles are everything. They'll either make it a pleasure or a pain in the arse.

Hold your arm vertical above your head. Your paddle should reach to your wrist. Maybe up to 2 1/2 inches shorter than that if you're gonna surf with it a bit.

The guy who sold it to me got it from Darrick Doerner. Darrick told him his philosphy on SUP'ing when he bought the paddle. He in turn passed it onto me, and I will now pass it onto you knuckleheads in here.

SUP'ing... true SUP'ing is about getting away from everyone & the crowds. Taking the SUP to far off reefs, or little used waves because they're hard to get to, run too fast or too hard to paddle into. Getting away from people. Not polluting lineups with 'em.

Thanks Darrick. I think.

Every surf I've had on mine has been solo, all within a paddle of my house. Next decent swell I might even paddle it up to Tulle river mouth and surf that left that fires up.

Apart from my circumstances which dictate being sewn to a child at all times ... I actually would've used it more in the last 2-months than my shortboard anyway, but that is probably either an anomaly or common for spring. With the sup I just don't surf under 2-foot.

Another use in the creek is sometimes I just leave the paddle at home and paddle it clubbie style (knees and laying down) to elephant rock and back. Now that's a good workout too.

I've surfed it a few times. It's okay, probably more fun on my backhand. Finding a line, burying the paddle and trying to take it vert and land it.

One thing I've noticed, is my legs are heaps stronger, quads & calves & hammys. My core is obviously stronger, and my bum has become surprisingly torte. Its not quite Tom Carroll crack a hazelnut in it, but it's fcuking close.

You use your biceps more than surfing too, because the proper paddle stroke, you should be using your paddle like a lever -- push than pull.

I surfed on the weekend down the coast after literally one surf in two months, and I found I had little to no rust. My legs were stronger, my turns more on rail and my general fitness pretty good too. Normally I woulda floundered around for the whole sesh after 2 months outta the water.

If there was ever a complimentary craft to use when you absolutely can't ride your shortboard, the SUP would be it. I say do it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Surfing boat wake in the creek too. You can get on little runners and surf them for a hundred metres, maybe longer depending on where in the creek you are.
Kunji wrote:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:19 am

Braithy wrote:If there was ever a complimentary craft to use when you absolutely can't ride your shortboard, the SUP would be it. I say do it.
I prefer my finless surfboard and surfmat but each to their own :)

The whole getting away from the crowds thing appeals to me, plus I can imagine it'd be a great thing to do with your kids standing on it with you.

You made me increase the mental possibility from 0% to 2% right now, well done
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:49 am

One thing about your finless is, you still need a breaking wave to bother paddling out there ... and even then if its that small it won't be much of a workout.

Yeah the kids, especially my daughter love it. There's plenty of days when I can't be bothered doing it, but she drags my sorry arse out there.

One thing I'll say, you always feel better after a big paddle than if you didn't.
Kunji wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I like Derek's advice. Helps if you live somewhere with obscure tropical reefs poking up miles out to sea.
What sets them apart in a crowd is the vagueness of whether they are on the wave, have missed the wave or are about to go over the falls sideways on the wave. The thing is they don't know either. Even with a goat boat you can usually suss out if they are actually going for the wave and estimate their chances of catching it. SUP-who knows?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:02 pm

It's all part of the mystery and the allure, BP.
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Definately going to get one at one stage. Maybe not soon but I do want one. Not for surfing, just for fitness, the kids, and just being on the water. So many calm days here in summer, spring where you can't surf, but the lake and the river are pure glass.