Epoxy or fibreglass?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

chrisb
Owl status

Epoxy or fibreglass?

Post by chrisb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 pm

My 9'2" fibreglass mal suffered a terminal injury so I'm in the market for a new board. I've been surfing a few years now and weigh 92kgs: was considering 9'2" x 22.5" x 3".

I understand that epoxies are tougher but what are the other pros and cons v fibreglass?

Beerfan

Re: Epoxy or fibreglass?

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 am

Both use fibreglass, epoxy is the resin. With eps foam, you must use epoxy resin, as polyester resin will eat it. You can use epoxy resin on polyurethane foam, which is apparently a bit lighter. Epoxy resin has a bit more give in it, so it doesn't shatter like polyester resin. Now the tricky thing is, you can use eps foam ( polystyrene ) and epoxy resin just like standard foam n resin, and you'll get a much lighter board, or you can add more glass, so it's still light but more durable. This construction apparently keeps its "pop" much longer. Then there's the high tech construction, which gets even more tricky to explain.

I'm not sure why more traditional shapers don't use standard construction with eps foam and resin, it's a very similar process that what they already do, but you don't see many doing it.

Long story short, an eps/epoxy longboard can be lighter and stronger than your current board. But will you like it?. One way to find out!!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks for the good advice: although I've surfed for quite some time and am proficient, I've never really been into the technicalities of boards - as long as they go!

One of the boards I was thinking of was this:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130826421468 ... 1423.l2649

It looks like a mass-produced factory board, possibly not made locally. The dimensions seem OK, perhaps a little bigger than I wanted but at least plenty of flotation. Is 6oz glass on top and bottom enough for its protection or would it ding easily?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 am

That's a fair bit of board, a noticeable step up from a 9'2"
Though you are a big fella, so it might be alright.

Looks like a dog, though.

P.S. you're wanted in the movie thread, Daz forfeited so you're up now.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:36 pm

I've seen these boards and they look the goods.

http://www.adriftsurf.com.au/_blog/Adri ... oards_Log/.

Price is right too.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 am

I eventually bought a 9' mal, 22" wide x 2.75" thick. It's a mass produced pop-out but only cost $500 new: lightweight, easy to paddle onto waves and easily more manoeuverable than my expired Rabbidge mal. The big test will be how long it lasts. :-D-:

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 pm

chrisb wrote:I eventually bought a 9' mal, 22" wide x 2.75" thick. It's a mass produced pop-out but only cost $500 new: lightweight, easy to paddle onto waves and easily more manoeuverable than my expired Rabbidge mal. The big test will be how long it lasts. :-D-:

EEEEk, Mark will be rolling in his Dodge wagon and frothing :d Australian made Australian made, TIP; do not take it to Mrk for repairs #*!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 pm

whoa big call that. Haven't ridden my mal for a fair while but sorry I can't believe your pop out goes better. I've had a Bear, Nat Young, Takayama and a Rabbidge as well as riding an old Midget for quite a while and the Rabbidge is right up there.

Regardless of the materials I can't imagine buying a generic board.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I think that I may have led you astray there. Did I say that my snapped Rabbidge was a mid-1980's production? :oops:

The current Rabbidge models probably go better than my pop-out..... but they cost much more.

I do need to ride my new mal more to give a more complete assessment but so far, so good. :)