Single fin shortboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Moore
regular

Re: Single fin shortboards

Post by Moore » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 pm

pridmore wrote:Image
a single fin, Fangtail, EPS-epoxy , 5'9" x 20 1/8" x 2 3/8"
Nice!

What fin will be going in that?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:16 pm

i believe ,sincerely , that a surfboard only needs one fin to work at its best.....anything more than that creates the need to compromise in other areas of the design.....which is exactly whats happened over the years.....one fin , foiled correctly and matched to the design gives the freedom to make changes and improvements to all surfboard designs.........I can't see things moving forward again , until we get back to single finned surfboards as the standard............it's inevitable ,and it's already begun...... :wink:

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Great post kayu. 8)

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:41 pm

On one hand, I think you may be onto something... On the other hand, I am not sure!

Just being devil's advocate, but one could argue that a board doesn't need any fins at all...

I think it comes down to what you want to achieve. An analogy would be to consider the different types of car available. Another would be to look at the differences between breeds of horse and what purpose they are bred for, maybe?

True, they (mostly) almost always have 4 wheels or 4 legs, but after that, things change depending on purpose

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 pm

The principal is in the simplicity...........a single fin is in the nuetral position....it favours neither left or right turns, and transitions through the neutral axis to change direction with minimal effort ,and the least amount of un-needed drag , in one small neat package..............but opinions are still like r-soles ,and hopefully we will always be allowed to have one..... :P

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:42 pm

I love singles and I think you are definitely right in as much as there seems to be a resurgence in them and folk are starting to experiment with them again.

One fo my favourite shortboards in recent years was a 6'2 pinny with a Winged Keel/sidebite set-up. That thing went in almost anything.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Funny thing , Ive seen so many thrusters over the years that I thought would go better with a single fin.......but , you cant take out the 3 small fins ,and try the board as a single , because the centre plugs are always set too far back for a single fin to to work properly........Ive tried it once on a rounded pin with glass-ons , and the board was noticably faster , drew much longer turns ,and with far less effort...... :shock:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:18 am

kayu wrote:
the board was noticably faster , drew much longer turns ,and with far less effort...... :shock:
Most people don't want that they prefer to make it difficult and throw as much spray as possible.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:37 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:
kayu wrote:
the board was noticably faster , drew much longer turns ,and with far less effort...... :shock:
Most people don't want that they prefer to make it difficult and throw as much spray as possible.
Please note well Roy agreeing with Kayu
:D :wink:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am

Well I agree with Kayu, on the whole, regarding singlefins. I stayed on them throughout, and always disliked thrusters.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:23 pm

"one fin , foiled correctly and matched to the design gives the freedom to make changes and improvements to all surfboard designs.........I can't see things moving forward again , until we get back to single finned surfboards as the standard....."

Kayu, with all due respect changes and improvements have already been well and truely made and things have already moved forward. A bloke called Simon Anderson invented the Thruster and more people ride them than any other design for good reason. Nothing wrong with riding singles, but thrusters are certainly an advancement, at least for HIGH PERFORMANCE surfing. Possibly it is just that you are not into HP surfing? Which is fine.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:46 pm

kayu wrote:..............but opinions are still like r-soles ,and hopefully we will always be allowed to have one..... :P
You forgot this part Natho................and Ive gotta disagree....singles were put on the scrap heap.in less than a full pro season , after Simons initial win......Cheyne was the last man standing....and he had more wins over thrusters than losses .....and that's at the elite HP level ........the future will be what it will be... :)

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Natho wrote: A bloke called Simon Anderson invented the Thruster and more people ride them than any other design for good reason.
........a scotch bloke called McDonald invented the Big Mac ,and more people eat them than any other hamburger for good reason....... :)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 pm

When Roy starts agreeing with you then it is time to admit you are wrong :D

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Natho wrote:When Roy starts agreeing with you then it is time to admit you are wrong :D
...you missed my point Natho , it's my opinion that there is still more to be found in single fins that we don't already know.......it's not about being right or wrong.......

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Natho wrote:

A bloke called Simon Anderson invented the Thruster and more people ride them than any other design ...
Long may they continue to do so.

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Has anyone tried one of the Rusty Bali single fins yet ?
I have to admit I have been tempted by them for a while and they are now being sold off cheap in the UK.
Although, I saw one in the flesh and the build quality was seemed weak and even the board labels and design were not srayed correctly.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:15 am

Since you're used to McCoys you may need a snorkel cause they don't sport much foam. :P
Only a rat can win the rat race.