Single fin shortboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Wingnut
regular

Re: Single fin shortboards

Post by Wingnut » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 pm

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:09 am

love my single fin shortys in decent waves...also doing MP boards now, just the Fangtail and MOTE cutty models...
http://www.moresurfboards.com/Fangtail.html

and also an MP3 that's a 2+1 which feels more forgiving in less quality waves....

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:23 am

Wingnut wrote:Image
Sweet... and the fin looks like it has a nice bit of meat to it.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:12 pm

I sold this board to a mate 35 years ago and he gave it back to me today, from memory one of the best board I have owned, I"ll find out soon.
6'0" x 20"x 2 5/8" A bit beaten up but still light, better than I expected. :-)(

IMAG1276.jpg
IMAG1278.jpg
IMAG1277.jpg

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Hows this puppy going for ya wingy?

Looks like a hot knife through butter when the waves have some push.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:22 pm

crustt wrote:I sold this board to a mate 35 years ago and he gave it back to me today, from memory one of the best board I have owned, I"ll find out soon.
6'0" x 20"x 2 5/8" A bit beaten up but still light, better than I expected. :-)(

IMAG1276.jpg
IMAG1278.jpg
IMAG1277.jpg
I had one like that back around 1985/6. Very similar shape. Except it had a sort of swallow tail. Bought it second hand when I came back to surfing. Eventually loaded it up to go to the dump and some friends came round to visit and asked if they could have it for their kids. :(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:45 pm

This one got used being towed behind a boat for years, Sanded the bottom back today, clean up all the dings and put a new finish coat on it when I get the time. Do ya reckon it would be worth anything? Was shaped by Neill Purchase snr.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:05 pm

crustt wrote:This one got used being towed behind a boat for years, Sanded the bottom back today, clean up all the dings and put a new finish coat on it when I get the time. Do ya reckon it would be worth anything? Was shaped by Neill Purchase snr.
Belongs on a wall somewhere I reckon.

"Straight to the pool room".
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Na, hangin board on walls is like the modern version of bolting boards to board racks, use or loos'em I reckons.

Could sell it to the props department for puberty blues. )

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:
Hows this puppy going for ya wingy?

Looks like a hot knife through butter when the waves have some push.
Hey Cpt.Caveman,

I last rode it up at Pottsville, Broken Head and Scotts Head...yeah it prefers a bit more juice but it did go well in the small, punchy waves at Pottsville. The rocker isn't severe but I found it easier to catch waves up North rather than on the fatter waves down here in Vic...?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:36 am

crustt wrote:I sold this board to a mate 35 years ago and he gave it back to me today, from memory one of the best board I have owned, I"ll find out soon.

Fixed all the dings and put a new finish coat on it and took it for a run out at the local point. I sprained my wrist 2 months ago and have just got back in the water, so being unfit on a board to small for me all I had going for me was enthusiasm. I took it out cause it was a wave that I am familiar with and mellow 4ftbut soon hit 6 and a bit weird, ended up getting 2 good waves that hit the ledge resulting in scarey barrels, board felt good and very fast, as soon it hit the bowl section it flew and was in total control. Says alot for keeping things simple, the bottom on this board is dead flat no v no concave.
So overall it is the board that I thought it was, I just need to get fit to surf it, should be fun. 3-)
The attachment IMAG1276.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
IMAG1285_1.jpg
Course I made a cover for it haha
IMAG1285_1.jpg (6.23 KiB) Viewed 3982 times

LPJ
Grommet

Post by LPJ » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 am

Is a single fin shorty a good option for carving through small, choppy windswell??? I ask because I imagine:
- the fin depth holds it into the wave through bumps.
- the fin flex can maximise drive.
- the small/shortboard amount of surface area can be pumped across smaller waves easier, to generate speed.
- the small surface area and rail length provide less opportunities to catch rail.

Sound alright, anyone do this on the reg?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:59 am

no, they are boring as batshit.

get a good multi-finned shortboard or a log, so much better.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:51 pm

My single fin short board has a 9" salty merchants "matte black" fin in it.
I know it's a 6'1 the rest of the dims aren't written on the board and I haven't measured the tail.
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 18#p566373

When the surf gets to around the 3-4ft mark I find it starts to buck me off a fair bit. I haven't been surfing singles long so there's a good chance it's my fault. I rode my longboard as a single quite a bit and didn't seem to have many problems.

Would it be worth going down in fin size in bigger surf surf? The board has a pretty wide tail ( no sure the exact dims )

I'm thinking there might be a bit too much fin area and depth.

Hey Topher I should've asked for your opinion when you were around the other week! You've ridden a few different singles haven't you?
Last edited by JET01 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Lay the fin flat on the board with the base running along the stringer (the fin base itself not the screw base flange thingie) slide it up or down until about a third of the fin tip is protruding past the rail on the tail.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm certainly so singly aficionado, but intuitively that is one of the most sensible things I've ever read on RS
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:I dunno, swishing your fins around in a pool to make figure eights while you do the FA 18 Super Hornet noise comes pretty close.
:d
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

LPJ
Grommet

Post by LPJ » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:47 am

I suppose you just get used to, and even like, whatever you're riding. IF you get to have a go in good waves... I surf intermittently, so the idea of being able to rely on drawing out a few cutties (as opposed to trying aerials, tail slides...) no matter what the surf's like or how I'm feeling, is appealing. When you say multi finned shortboard, I think pump, pump, pump, hack. And then I think, I need to have my back foot placement dialed in perfectly over a couple sessions first. When you say log, well it's a bit impractical, and harder to get that aggression (won't knock the idea on the head though).

I'm still curious though about the way I imagine a keel fin. Is it right to think that the flex will help you flick you from rail to rail quicker, say after a bottom turn? In theory, would a longer fin give you more to push against in a turn, and therefore more drive? Especially a small, crumbly, windswell??