Wegener Crusader Help (and eye candy).

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

surfanimals
Local

Wegener Crusader Help (and eye candy).

Post by surfanimals » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Hoping someone might be able to help me with a couple of Tom Wegener 'Crusader' Longboard Model images.

I'm after a couple of images showing the planshape of one of these beautiful boards standing upright to get an idea of nose, tail and mid widths.

As you can see below, I have a number of shots from my own collection of this beauty I once owned but none of her standing on end with a clear outline in entirety.

I have searched Google and the like, Tom has removed his old site and replaced it with a Blog that doesn't include the late 90's shapes and it's as if the Crusader didn't exist apart from the old Super 8 video footage online.

Help ?

It would be greatly appreciated and if you have any images that you could post, I promise to let you ride the board which is to be shaped using the Crusader as it's benchmark. :D

kayu
Local

Re: Wegener Crusader Help (and eye candy).

Post by kayu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Those lines are basically from Donald Takayama. I have never seen a fin and fin position, more miss-matched to a surfboard......probly why the pics are not used anymore.... :shock:

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 am

I think a lot of people might have similar thoughts on the fin placement, size etc but I can assure you that to ride one is to absolutely blow your mind.

The bigger the waves the better and to totally appreciate it, get your hands on Siesta's & Ola's on DVD / Video where the Crusader was born.

http://www.amazon.com/Siestas-Olas-Surf ... B003DYT96Q

As for the Taky likeness, the only likeness is that both shapers are American, they are totally opposite in design, contour and hip design.

I'm not sure why Tom has totally transformed to the Hawaiian style boards (Alaia etc) but the old models are in part still available through Noosa Longboards although I'm not sure whether Tom actually is involved in the craftsmanship.
Last edited by surfanimals on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Kayu,

You have to watch Siestas and Olas, the board flies.

As for the HPD likeness, Tom used to ride for Tak so I'm not surprised.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Kayu,

You have to watch Siestas and Olas, the board flies.

As for the HPD likeness, Tom used to ride for Tak so I'm not surprised.
Ive seen the some of vid, and ridden one of the boards at the pass years ago, when I swapped boards for a few waves with a guy . It would be better with slightly smaller fin pushed around 4" up from the tail. Just my thoughts, thats all.. :) ...from memory it was about 10'-6" ?

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for the input and PM's.

These 2 are of a 12' x 24 x 3 1/2. >><<

More shot's coming this weekend. :D

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:44 am

For anyone who may have been intereasted, here's the shot's of my old board kindly taken over the weekend by Steve who now owns it.