Twinzers/odd 4 fins

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Twinzers/odd 4 fins

Post by Beerfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Surfed my pacman board today, after re routing the finboxes with 1/4'' toe in as opposed to no toe in. Made a big difference IMHO. Anyway, i've also added superchargers/twinzer lead fins, and love them also. I had them in my old keel fish, and again, loved them.

Todays setup. Pretty damn loose. Probably a bit too loose, but fun still the same.

The normal setup. Can't wait to try this setup with the extra toe in i've added. I think it will be unreal.

A better pic to show what's going on. This is when there was no toe in on the fins, so now they look parallel to each other.

My first supercharged/twinzerfied board. It was f&cking insane

Anyone else got some funky/non standard 4 fins??.

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Twinzers/odd 4 fins

Post by pridmore » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 am

runnin something similar on my Dumpling atm....got a twinzer I am lovin atm also, just tweakin things here and there with the twinzer til it feels spot on so I can include them in my designs....i like em.... 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 am

Hehe nice one mark!. Did you order the probox "hammer" fins? i thought i saw you asking about them?.

Show pics of your twinzer setup mate, love to see pics.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:08 am

Took the rainbow keels for a spin in the board yesterday in shoulder high shorebreak. Felt more drivy, which i expected. Still pretty loose. I think some more rakey keels will probably work best, and stabilise it a bit. Wide round tails and no centre fin makes for a slippery ride. Which is fun, but at times, off the bottom im cautious not to push too hard, or it spins, which sucks, i like putting everything into the bottom turn :(

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 am

this set up feels realy good... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:06 pm

not many twinzers out there, this surprises me, I would love to have a good go at a twinzer one day, its just that they have pickled my interest.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Digger, a very similar setup is called "superchargers". Basically a small one tab sized fin, added to pretty much any board with side fins. The halfway point of the small fin lines up with the front of the side fin. A little less toe and cant than the main fin, and about 1'' closer to the rail. The idea is exactly the same as the twinzer. I added plugs on my old keel fin ( one fcs plug ) and put some in. Never took them out again. Felt quicker to get to top speed, and was a lot "free er", especially off the top. I've since added similar to my pacman board, and liked it so much i superglued them in. They are a little bit too far forward though. My keel fish from josh will have plugs for them too.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:29 pm

hey beerf, if you really want to mess with fins put different size ones in different sides

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

pridmore wrote:this set up feels realy good... 8)
ooh, aha might switch to that

^^go ric

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:36 am

Daz & Beerf, if memory serves have a look at Bruce McKees site, pretty sure he has some asymmetrical fin set-ups.

Had a mal done years ago with 3 plugs per side so I could offset the fins, it works.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Hey Mark, could you possibly make one of these in fibreglass for my quad, not keen on the plastic FCS version?
Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 5.45.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 5.45.23 PM.png (41.27 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Wingnut, they would be so small there material is unlikely to be relevant. Not as though it is going to flex and add value.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Wingnut, they would be so small there material is unlikely to be relevant. Not as though it is going to flex and add value.
Yeah fair point, I just despise plastic fins.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:01 am

funny thing wingnut,j I had a real cheap set of plastic fins I had in a board and they were a blast when the waves were small and fairly steep and racing. I had a real lot of fun with them.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 am

Wingnut wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Wingnut, they would be so small there material is unlikely to be relevant. Not as though it is going to flex and add value.
Yeah fair point, I just despise plastic fins.
Wingnut, they are ALL plastic. OK, I'm just being a pedant. :D

They are ALL resin - polymers or copolymers. The only difference in a bog standard FCS composite fin and the others is the reinforcing material, its make-up and proportion.

As digger says, some people prefer the flex of the standard composites.

Look to nature... stiff or flexible?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 pm

I switched front to back, so the bigger 4's are now at back, but in the middle of doing that realized my rear 1000's were both centre fins, either that explains why nothing much was happening with it, or when i do finallly try out this setup, it'll do what? Track, nothing, go great? Woo-hoo.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:54 pm

This so far was the best 4 fin setup that resembles a quad for me. Very positive, drivy and loose. Probox thruster fibreglass sides, and shapers longboard sides in the rear. Very close together, close to the rail, same toe, same cant. Might try this again on my semi fish/groveller

Ric, do you mean different sizes on different sides of the board??

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Beerfan wrote: Ric, do you mean different sizes on different sides of the board??
You bet, Beerf. Think outside the square!

Hard to describe, easy to demonstrate. Just think about the difference between pressure required forehand v backhand.

Just try.