Stand up paddling seems slower than if prone

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

zingomar
regular

Re: Stand up paddling seems slower than if prone

Post by zingomar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Just watched a youtube vid of a SUP racing a kayak - the SUP totally smoked the kayak. So looks like I've only seen a few gooses who can't paddle their SUP fast yet or had the shorter ones that don't plan so well. The guy had good technique and you could see the leverage with the paddle but he had a long very stable board.

A forum mentioned how much faster the long ones are than the shorter wave riding ones.

Anyway, the SUPs I see in the surf here look pretty lame and clumsy

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:40 am

Depends on the rider, like any craft really. Our local SUPer flies along, both paddling, and on the wave, but he also doesnt hog waves, and calls people into good ones, so he may be an exception to the rule. Some of the newer guys are pretty ordinary though haha.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:20 am

Beerfan wrote:Depends on the rider, like any craft really. Our local SUPer flies along, both paddling, and on the wave, but he also doesnt hog waves, and calls people into good ones, so he may be an exception to the rule. Some of the newer guys are pretty ordinary though haha.
Dont' know if it's in widespread use but a local guy up here has taken to calling them "street sweepers".

I like it. Hope it catches on.
Had one nearly take me out this morning. I had just come off a wave and was paddling back out. This guy takes off on a close out and straight hands the white water, then about 30' in front of me and slightly to my right, he turns to cut across in front of me. In the white water. :roll:
Of course he fell off right in front of me. :twisted:
Fcukwit. And when I tell him (heatedly :twisted: ) that was stupid, he wants to know what I mean.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

zingomar
regular

Post by zingomar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 pm

I've surfed my old log windsurfer board in small waves and wouldn't even consider doing so with anyone else nearby. So big heavy and dangerous once it was loose.

My dad got hit in the chest by an out of control kayaker in the surf when he was around 75 year old and he reckoned his heart stopped for a few seconds and he cracked a rib. Could have been a lot worse.

zingomar
regular

Post by zingomar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Wow ..... this looks like fun and makes more sense to me- SUP downwind riding little wind waves out to sea - "surfing" for miles on windy days miles from surf and surfers. Check the secondvideo out! Get heaps of afternoon sea breezes like that with no surf round here.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stan ... nd-videos/

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Thought I was going to get taken out this morning. The trouble is they don't know if they are going to take off half the time let alone make it. You see some really good riders sometimes but not usually near the rental stand at Bondi :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?