Anyone ridden a McTavish SUMO?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

seaweed006

Anyone ridden a McTavish SUMO?

Post by seaweed006 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Really want to get one - they look like so much fun...BUT do they work? Can it really work as a small wave catching tool and then when it gets to 4-5, take the steeper drop and really lay a bottom turn? Anyone?
Also McT has some other intersting shapes..noticed recently he had a couple of Micro-mals, his Carver model at 6.0 length - again interesting, and an Egg - which looks really flat.
Any comments from those that have ridden one apprecaited - or what, as an alternative for the 'everyday' sydney beachie board, for a 95kg bloke.
Thanks...new to realsurf

Glamarama
regular

Re: Anyone ridden a McTavish SUMO?

Post by Glamarama » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Saw these in the shop today.

Look very similar to a takayama scorpion.

BigJ

Post by BigJ » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:43 am

Hi, another board you might consider if looking at the Sumo (they are a nice looking board)could be a Dick Van Straalen Micro mal or a Van Straalen Weiner (a bit more pulled in in the nose). I have a 6'8" Micro which is one the funnest boards to ride i have ever had in over 25 years surfing, if to only an average level. The 6'8" is a great paddler for me weighing 95kg's. It comes standard as a thruster although I had a fin box added to be able play with different fin set ups, as a singo and as 2+1 set up.
The Micro is somewhat similiar and does like it the bigger and hollower it gets (due to the pulled in tail), I've riden mine upto 5ft + on the points in Cooly (the added paddle power sure helps getting waves off the crowds on the points). Like any board there are pluses and minuses, but it can really be turned nice and tight when turning off the tail and you can even do a lttle hang five. But, with all that width in the nose and the straighter outline at the front it is sometimes like turning a board about a foot longer. The trick I've found is definetly turn off the tail and use the nose area to bounce off the lip and secions instead of carving through the lip like you can on a much modern style HP shortboard.
Overall, whilst surfing other boards from my collection its one I'll be keeping for a long time as its so much fun to ride and isn't that the point.
Hope this helps, from another newbie to posting on the forum. :D

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 am

This was my 6'6" carbon fibre weiner....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
For $1300 it will be a bit more than a McT Sumo but the carbon fibre construction will outlast the PU construction of the Sumo by a long, long way.
PU micro mal or weiner are only $795 or so. So heaps cheaper than a McT Sumo.
The weiner is a smaller version of the "all rounder" which Dick makes from 7'-9' plus.
Less than 7' it gets called a "weiner".
Weiner has a pintail and a pulled in nose, single to double concave and V out through the tail if I recall correctly.
Micro mal has a thicker round nose a round tail. Whats the micro mal's bottom BigJ?
Both normally made as a thruster.
2+1 is a custom order which will give them a more relaxed turning circle because the fin cluster is placed differently to a thruster.
Carbon/eps will paddle better than PU in the same board model/dims.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:04 am

the sumo i saw had a $1250 price tag. probably some wiggle room there. for $50 hard to see why go past the DVS carbon number?

BigJ

Post by BigJ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Cuttlefish,
You are right in that the Micro is much thicker in the nose and probably allover is thicker than your Weiner. The bottom on my Micro has quite a pronounced single concave at the up near the nose which then softens mid board as it goes into a double concave with vee around the back fin. The nose looks straight off a 9ft longboard, ie round, but the tail is a pintail. No were near as pulled in in the tail compared to your carbon Weiner but definetely goes to a pin and compared to the rest of its outline is quite pulled in at the tail. For me and my average understanding (apart from what I like) that is why it seems to like it as the wave size has got bigger and hollower. Its seems to love the barrel.
If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll post a pic.
Curious about you talikng about the fin placement of a board made as a thruster compared to one built as a 2+1 set-up. Not surprised that they are differnt at all as shapers obviously consider the whole sum of the board when shaping one, ie foil, rail, bottom shape etc etc. But can you please fill me in a bit more on how to fin placement differs. Are the side fins futher in off the rail or placed futher forward or to the back compared to the thruster set up.
I do love playing around with fins and seeing how it changes the way a board rides, funny that after experimenting with dfferent set ups the shapers original set up is usually how the board will perform at its best. Suprise suprise eh. In saying that they can still be a lot of fun with different fin set ups. On the points when its barrelling I really enjoy the Micro as a single fin, something about single fins in the tube, they just feel nice.
I have only ever seen a Weiner that was 6ft so your explanation on its being a smaller version that the 7ft+ Allrounder makes sense, the allrounder was a board I had considered when buying my Micro and have thought about adding to the quiver as a step-up board since buying the Micro 2 years ago.
Look forward to your reply re fin placement.
Cheers, :D

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi BigJ,
remember the Magic seaweed 2+1 thread?
I sold the weiner to Freshiedude who posts on here.
I do recall the side fin plugs are placed further in from the rail than a thruster and I'd say less toe in and placed further forward too.
The fin box will let you run a standard sized thruster fin if you use a FCS adaptor or a FCS M5 which has a single fin base.
But the fin will be further from the tail than a standard thruster.
The allrounders work really well in decent sized waves.

seaweed006

Post by seaweed006 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:12 am

thanks all...DVS looks really sweet, would love a long walling wave i reckon. Did you have any time in beachbreaks. Anyway still looking for that elusive 'all rounder'

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:44 am

Email Josh Dowling he will get you on a board that is strong & cheaper than a carbon DVS! Not that there is anything wrong with a carbon DVS!!!

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:02 pm

are the sumo's anything like this?
or this..Image

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm

feraldave wrote:are the sumo's anything like this?
or this..Image
Would prefer these to a sumo any day!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:23 am

Glamarama wrote:Saw these in the shop today.

Look very similar to a takayama scorpion.
Similar yes, but otherwise quite different.

I have a 7' Scorpion which I have been riding exclusively since November, doesn't sound long but it has seen some work... it has been in a range of conditions, but only up to probably head high and a half. Been taken from Bali to more recently Nuigini and a variety of beach break conditions. I can ride also it where I would have previously resorted to riding a 9' mal.

Personally, I prefer the 'look' of the Sumo (plan shape), but having ridden pintails like the Scorpion before I knew the tail would work. I have ridden mine a lot as a quad, which is fast and loose, due to the more rail centric set-up, and also as a 2+1 and a few times with a pseudo bonzer configuration (large bonzer side fins). They all work in some manner shape or form it is just a matter of what you are looking for. Yesterday rode it both as quad and a new 2+1 set-up... too many fins to choose from. :D

That is one of the differences between to two, the Scorpion, at least in Tuflite build, comes with quad plugs and a centre fin box. As far as I know the Sumo is only as a 2+1, probably could be more plugs done by request.

The Scorpion is also a VERY flat rocker through the nose, although the overall is probably quite subtle. Certainly makes for a good paddler so getting waves is pretty easy. The thickness distribution of the foil is also quite thick in the nose area, looks too thick, and appears as though it would be very prone to nosediving, but so far it hasn't proved a liability. Have even taken the odd late drop and made it. The Sumo by comparison has quite a bit of nose lift and is fairly thin.

The decline of the Scorpion is very flat through the nose and you can walk them, I'm sure a better rider than me would be nose riding without too much trouble. By Takayama's description the Scorpion is a mal nose married to a short board tail and that about sums it up. It is a very versatile board.

I'm pretty sure I could ride the 6'4" or 6'8" version of the Scorpion without too much trouble, just think they might be limited in their range, relative to what I want... one board for travelling.

Would love to try a Sumo, but that isn't an option.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 pm

How does it duck dive ric?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:35 pm

blogger-image--782383823.jpg
blogger-image--174122153.jpg
I bet it's not too much of a chore to duckdive the scorpion.
I used to duckdive my poly 8' all rounder in up to 4-5' waves without too much trouble.
My 8' carbon all rounder was more difficult with it's extra thickness and bouyancy but was ok if I didn't have to duckdive too many in a row.
Here's a cool looking board which I saw in person this morning.
Brian (Weir's surfshop) was just coming in from a surf and busted me peering through the window of the shop, while talking my 3 yr old for a walk.
He had a tastey looking full planshaped 7'er under his arm (pictured above).
Twinnie no less.
He's going to install a set of plugs for a centre fin on this one but reckons it's a mucho fun ride.
I picked it up and it's super light.
http://weirssurfing.blogspot.com.au/
Scroll down to the Aipa copy.
Damon was out at Tea tree last Sunday ripping it up on the fat bean.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 pm

The old Apia looks interesting.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:46 am

Beanpole wrote:How does it duck dive ric?
Yes, mate one of the downfalls... extra buoyancy and nose width means you get thrown around a bit more. I just try and get it down a bit earlier.

Still worth the effort.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Ric- post a few pics of the 7 footer and the various fin set ups. I'm looking at an 8 footer - but with that length -not so much area - but looking at quad and 2 plus 1 capability :o

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Jorgo wrote:Ric- post a few pics of the 7 footer and the various fin set ups. I'm looking at an 8 footer - but with that length -not so much area - but looking at quad and 2 plus 1 capability :o
What do ya want to see, J-Lo? Will do one or two tomorrow if I remember :D

Riding at the moment as a 2+1... FCS Nexus medium sides, Dion 6" centre. Other configurations I use are: quad with same fronts and the new Nexus quad back fins. 2+1 with bonzer fronts (FCS B5) and the same centre fin.

The 'issued' fins are FCS 5 and 3 and a very curved and raked, narrow Takayama branded centre fin... not sure of its size.

Subject to what you want it for I would seriously consider the smaller version(s), especially in Tuflite build.