Anyone ridden a McTavish SUMO?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Anyone ridden a McTavish SUMO?

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Jorgo wrote:Tail wider that 19.25 :shock: - now you really are pulling my leg Mr Ric
:lol: sorry J-Lo, yes mate got 'em around the wrong way.

type-read-post

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:38 pm

uh huh, uh huh. Its like that old saying "Measure twice - cut once" :lol: Dont you luv it when you're (read I'm) in a hurry and all of a sudden you end up with a 7'4" planshape instead of a 7" 8" :shock: Hell its only 4 " - that wont make a difference - will it :(

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Yes, J-Lo have done such things, but then we hang on to the theory that everything happens for a reason.

Chrisc161076

Post by Chrisc161076 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 am

To the original poster, surfed my takayama scorpain in small conditions to head high and half, no problem with the bottom turn, and a slight transfer of weight changes it from a flying machine into a board you can really throw aroound! Hope this helps?

seaweed006

Post by seaweed006 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks Chrisc. Am testing a hybrid design 6'4 at the moment. will post feedback when have more time

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Just noticed a nice looking Mctavish Sumo on the sunny coast whilst browsing eBay, 6 days left if anyone is interested.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

seaweed006

Post by seaweed006 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Update on my custom 6'4, stump nose. Board was designed with a plan shape that resembles a Campbell Bros egg, with an s deck and pulled down rails for some more bite on the face with plenty of volume under the chest area. The rocker was enhanced at tip and especially the tail to make it project off the rail more. Modern concaves with some decent futures and the engine room was complete. Had heaps of questions about it cause it doesn't look like anything else out there, and I have to say, its definitely exactly what I was after, old school egg shape with modern bottom that gets me where I want to go on the wave quickly and without fuss, this is a keeper. Its really a very fast board and for a 93kg old fart like me the plan shape lets me get into the waves early and pivots easily. 6'4x20.5x2.75. Nothing I would change so while I thought I wanted a Sumo, we have designed and delivered a 'keeper". Cheers

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Hey Rick,
Do you still have your Scorpion?
Heard Surftech aren't producing any more for the time being while royalty payments are sorted, or something like that.
Been riding a 6'8" lately and very impressed with it's versatility across a wide wave spectrum.
It may be a Surftech but doesn't have the least hint of corkiness they've been criticised for in the past.
Could have something to do with the change of foam used in the blanks?
Apparently the Takayamas made in Byron are still available for $1300-1500.
Run it as a quad with H2's fronts and Scarfini hx2 rears.
Haven't bothered to try it a single or 2+1 yet as the quad set up feels perfect.
Any interesting fin combos to suggest?
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 am

Cuttle, Have had a 7'4" scorpion for a short while and been riding it as a 2+1 am really surprised. As you said no corkiness, stable on takeoff & for the surf i've had it in turns on a dime, havn't had a chance to try a cheater 5 or noseride it due to lousy surf. I think you said in another post youve had a firewire addvance, how does the scorpion compare.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Completely different boards.
The Addvance I had was a 6'6" which was essentialy a thick fish with a pulled in enough tail to surf well off said tail.
It carried a lot of foam through its foil (48L)whereas the scorpion is more foiled out and has finer rails.
I actually find the 6'8" scorpion really easy to duckdive and I've ridden it a lot lately in 3-5' waves.
Took a mates' DMS crumpet out at Snapper yesterday morning which was 5'11" X 21" X 2 &3/4" (39 litres) and found it a chunky board to duckdive compared to the longer scorpion which is probably about 42-43 litres.
Duckdiving n Addvance is tiring stuff too.
It may be a Surftech but it is working great as a one board quiver in sub 5' waves for me at the moment.
The Scorpion, for how I want to surf, is a much more versatile board than the thicker Addvance.
Try your Scorpion as a quad and let me know what you think.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 am

Cuttle, Thanks for that I've been considering getting an addvance but think I'll put that on hold for now.I did set the scorpion up as a quad but as usual surf went to crap & hasn't changes since, now been a month since any decent surf here in Sydney. I've goth the quads that came with the scorpion & i've also got a set of Simon large quads so I'll try both a let you know, but as I now look at coastal cams good old Sydney is flat yet again,f*^&.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I only got the Scorpion 6 weeks ago but we've had a really great run of swells up here (location dependent) and I've not really surfed any of my other boards bar two surfs and one of them I paddled in and swapped to the scorpion.
It's the only non handshape in my quiver but its taken over.
While riding my mate's Dms at Snapper I didn't see him again after I paddled out and if I had, I would have swapped him back straight away so I could have got a decent haul of waves.
Purposely didn't go for the expensive poly since its meant for crowded days at Noosa and general summer mayhem where all kinds of drop-ins, board throwing and run overs are common place.
Get a ding (not a huge one of course) I can put some tape over it and keep on keeping on until getting around to fixing it.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:24 pm

CF, sorry mate, haven't visited much for a while…

Yes, still have my 7' Scorpion and same as you, it is the normal 'go to', while in the current physical state (back/hip). Would love to try the 6'8" version but then I know I can pretty much do what I need with the 7 footer. Only downside is duck-diving.

I've just stuck with a quad set-up of late. FCS H3 - Nexus Large fronts and H3 - Nexus Quad rears. Like the different shape of them and they have a solid feel but still light for travel.

Use the same fronts in my JD.