2+1 boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

unclethirsty
Grommet

2+1 boards

Post by unclethirsty » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:10 am

Any of you lads got one, would they go ok in sydney/beachie stuff or are they more a good wave/point break kinda board.Merry xmas & remember to keep your fluids up.

JaM71
charger

Re: 2+1 boards

Post by JaM71 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:32 am

G day uncle,
I have two....a 7ft diverse SG model which I got years ago and a DMS crumpet which is 5'11. My crumpet has become my go to board for all conditions. The bonus of a 2 plus 1 is that you can play around with the fins, moving the centre fin forward and back or changing it, shapers.com.au have a good range of fins. You can also change the side bites as well. Whether a 2 plus 1 would suit Sydney would depend on the board dimensions, foil etc but there is no reason why not.

I get plenty of drive and it's loose as, and you get the bonus of glide they re very smooth and fluid. Mine goes off the bottom and straight up into the lip beautifully. If you have a look at the dumpling thread, mine has a similar outline to a dumpling. It has a Big wide diamond tail with a single into double concave with eve out the tail, I use mine on the points and beaches.

Have a look at some of NPJ s boards on his blog they re stunning.....he also knows his fins

I live on the gold coast and am able to demo boards before parting with my hard earned, perhaps you can do the same in Sydney?

Cheers
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:51 am

Was watching a guy ripping and having a ball on a 2 + 1 style bonzer in 2-3ft maroubra waves. He was having a ball and reckons it goes great in small waves.

As above the rest of the package is very important of course. His was a very wide thick short and stubby board. Under 6' for sure. Stacks of plan shape lift from the board
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:01 pm

...are unreal.

As the other guys have alluded to, whether it goes well will have more to do with the board than the fins, IMO.
My good wave board is a 2+1, but so is my 'Fark, is it even worth going out?' board...

If you are getting a traditional single shape, with the 2 of the 2+1 mainly as training wheels, then yes, it will got better in good point or reef ways.
You can put a 2+1 setup into anything you like. It won't be the optimum fin setup for all shapes, but it'll still go.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:12 pm

I've got two.

A 6'0 fat, flat, boxy and wide bear wombat.
....and a 6'2 NPJ with glass in fins - it's like a slightly wider shorty (19 1/4 I thnk), but still with heaps low rails.

To me they feel like they have heaps more Instant speed and a real solid feeling - by that I mean you They go great - instant speed, big turns and go fine in beachies.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Topher makes a good point, you get instant speed.....kind of like a quad....when taking off and they maintain momentum. And they go off the bottom off the top beautifully. Taking mine for a spin down at the points in Byron tomorrow :D
Would love to hear more about your NPJ topher, my next sled could well be one of his :!:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"