Noseriding comsand/tuflite boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

unclethirsty
Grommet

Noseriding comsand/tuflite boards

Post by unclethirsty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:15 pm

For those who have a longboard or longer mini-mal in either of the above are they any good for noseriding or, for want of a better word, are they too "light" & the tail won't hold? If they are OK any suggestions on brands?

buzzy
barnacle

Re: Noseriding comsand/tuflite boards

Post by buzzy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 pm

I've seen people speak very highly of the Bic Nat Young model. Never surfed it myself though.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 pm

A guy in my longboard club is one of the best noseriders I've seen, and he rides a 10' Bic a lot of the time so I'm sure he finds them OK.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:15 pm

unclethirsty wrote:For those who have a longboard or longer mini-mal in either of the above are they any good for noseriding or, for want of a better word, are they too "light" & the tail won't hold? If they are OK any suggestions on brands?
A full on comp/sand construction would be on the 'too light' side. There are alternatives in wood and there are no limits with either weight or design. Traditional or progressive or a combination of both ? ...I can hook you up with a shaper you can talk to. ( I'm tryin not to spam here, just answer the question). If your in the Byron area, call in and talk to Evan at North Coast Surfboards - theres a few there at the mo.... :)
Attachments
rooster 010.jpg
9 '2- speedrailer 002.jpg

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:40 pm

I find them far too buoyant from experience. Rails dont seem to suck the water over the tail as a traditional shaped glass board

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 pm

marcus_h wrote:I find them far too buoyant from experience. Rails dont seem to suck the water over the tail as a traditional shaped glass board
marcus ,I'm yet to see a real nice 'true' traditional shape in the surftech range....and your spot on , they would be too light to perform the way they were meant to.........

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Possible. Not prime though.Nice looking board there. By the way what happened to all those wood veneered tuflite boards that came out when the whole tuflite thing started. I rarely see any of them popping up in the line up or even in second hand racks. I thought they were supposed to be around for ever.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 pm

marcus_h wrote:I find them far too buoyant from experience. Rails dont seem to suck the water over the tail as a traditional shaped glass board
I need not say much more than what's here, what marcus has said is spot on, the reason a board noserides WELL is due to the suction of the water over the deck and rails - make a board uber light and bouyant and there won't be any water over the deck and rails.

Bics are a different story, they actually have a comparable weight to a standard board and I have seen the Nat ripping on them in person.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:37 pm

rail shape and rocker also plays a big part.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 am

There's a second hand Bic Nat 9'4 going for sale at the moment on Gumtree. $500.

Warren from East Gosford Surf used to ride a Bic 9'4 for ages and really had a lot of fun on that board, nose rides the lot. As Wands mentioned, it had a nice weight to it. The Bear / Tak factory in Byron are now stocking PU versions with the whole beautiful resin tints that are coming out of that factory.

The Tolhursts are also getting a good name for a surftech longboard, but I'm thinking that's more on the performance side of the longboarding spectrum? Maybe Wands will know a little more.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful info there, gives me even more to chew over with regards to new (another) board. Suppose I'll go hire a few different ones & see what I see.