Cutbacks on a longboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Cutbacks on a longboard

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:27 pm

That's a 'modern' design from the middle of last century.

Here's a postmodern design from 2011.

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipe ... -wood.html

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:17 pm

It's an exact replica of a Joe Larkin '63 pig , regardless of what arty-farty term you want call it. It has 2 big advantages over yours 1. It performs better 2. A lot of people will buy one
Attachments
joe larkin 009.JPG
joe larkin 009.JPG (24.11 KiB) Viewed 3486 times

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Humour me please Roy...
With the deck of the above board you've made the pieces of the deck jointed diagonally as far as I can see.
How can this flex evenly when riding waves in both lefts and rights?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:09 pm

The bottom has opposing diagonal planking.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:43 pm

So there was no pick-up from the passing asteroid? Cheap tin-foil always has had a problem with reception.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Ok.
Why?
Also wouldn't the forces acting upon the bottom of the board be different to the deck?
I assume there's more area in the wood cross-sections on the bottom than the deck due to rocker so how do you achieve even flex patterns for bottom and deck without twisting?
Just basic questions but I've never read anything about how you've arrived at this kind of construction so be patient.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 pm

faarg me dead, I don't know whether anyone answered your original question Buzzy, it seemed to degenerate pretty quickly...
Anyway, if you want that foam bounce thing you wanna go as light as you can and make sure you are aiming your re-entry correctly, ie turning just under the top of the section then into the foam.
Light board, 2+1 with a squash, diamond or round tail. That'll do the trick...
It's okay to admit you want a longboard to surf like a shortboard, it aint my bag and IMO it's not what the longboard contest criteria should be about, but thats an argument for another day (again)

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:27 am

kayu wrote:It's an exact replica of a Joe Larkin '63 pig , regardless of what arty-farty term you want call it. It has 2 big advantages over yours 1. It performs better 2. A lot of people will buy one

nice board kayu. Would love to do a cutback on it.
I'm assuming you're keeping the price under a quarter million?
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Ok.
Why?
Also wouldn't the forces acting upon the bottom of the board be different to the deck?
I assume there's more area in the wood cross-sections on the bottom than the deck due to rocker so how do you achieve even flex patterns for bottom and deck without twisting?
Just basic questions but I've never read anything about how you've arrived at this kind of construction so be patient.

It's easy, there's no twist even if deck and bottom differ in thickness as well as being laid diagonally.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:32 am

offshore1 wrote:
kayu wrote:It's an exact replica of a Joe Larkin '63 pig , regardless of what arty-farty term you want call it. It has 2 big advantages over yours 1. It performs better 2. A lot of people will buy one

I think I owe kayu an apology. Ithought he was posting a pic of one of Joe's boards under construction.
kayu, are you making that board? If so, great work.
I might have to sell something and commission one.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 am

Roy,
Other board builders are working symmetrically with their materials while you're working assymetrically?
If that's the case I assume it's your "secret sauce" (or part thereof) of the boards performance which is why you side-stepped my question by saying "it's easy" but it still doesn't make any more sense to me.
Just trying to figure out what makes your boards tick while looking at a 10.1" netbook screen.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 am

Cuttlefish wrote:
Roy,
Other board builders are working symmetrically with their materials while you're working assymetrically?
If that's the case I assume it's your "secret sauce" (or part thereof) of the boards performance which is why you side-stepped my question by saying "it's easy" but it still doesn't make any more sense to me.
Just trying to figure out what makes your boards tick while looking at a 10.1" netbook screen.
No doubt it sucks to be you.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 am

The best person I can be is myself! :)
My netbook is sufficent for my requirements too.
What you think of me is in-consequential to the questions I've posed which have been asked out of simple curiousity about why you've used the diagonal technique.
:?:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:29 am

Theoretically it increases flex slightly, in reality I've found that there is no noticeable difference between fore and aft planking ( which i also do ) and diagonal planking in that respect.

Diagonal planking is convenient for the builder and I like the look of it. The convenience is the reason for doing it diagonally, the looks are really inconsequential either way.

There is one other structural reason for diagonal planking: it crosses the diagonal framing at closer to 90 degrees than fore and aft planking.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:44 am

TrevG wrote:
offshore1 wrote:

I think I owe kayu an apology. Ithought he was posting a pic of one of Joe's boards under construction.
I do a few when Joes too busy to do them himself Trev( under strict instructions). Apart from that , they are all original , with a trim-lapped volane glass job, and a hand laminated and foiled wooden "popes-hat" fin..... :)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:29 pm

kayu wrote:
TrevG wrote:
offshore1 wrote:

I do a few when Joes too busy to do them himself Trev( under strict instructions). Apart from that , they are all original , with a trim-lapped volane glass job, and a hand laminated and foiled wooden "popes-hat" fin..... :)
I've been promising myself to get down there and say "hi" and check out his current set up. He was a great friend and support to all us young guys way back then.

I can't remember whether this was my Joe Larkin or the Woosley which replaced it. The art work was mine. :oops: Wish I had both the board and the car now.

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 pm

And while I'm posting old pics. I wonder how many know where this was taken?

Beanpole

Skipper

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Seriously, how many boards have you sold this year Roy?