Cutbacks on a longboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

purple pyramids
barnacle

Re: Cutbacks on a longboard

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:38 pm

oh shit. i didn't see this. what a barrel of laughs.
now roy, i understand that post-modernism might be a bit hard to pin down. but you quest for authenticity, the value of craft and effort, disdain for the mass produced and masses, belief in "grand narratives" such as saving surfing, restoring the sport of kings etc. is just not going to fit into any post-modernist's pigeon hole.
your sophomoric, muddled-headed delusions may make you a stranger to reason, but that is not the same as post-modernism.
Roy_Stewart wrote:Post modernism has much in common with antiquity going back to the roots of the matter, and discarding the unnecessary.

The surf industry reeks of modernism with its top heavy burden of social assumptions and global corporate control.

I'm not into it!

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:43 pm

incorrect.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
Ridgeway is as thick as pigshit,

....are we playin with our google analytics again Roy ?.....or is it just becoming a habit of yours to copy other peoples words ?..... :shock:.......originality is better for the soul , but nothin generates web traffic like google adwords eh.....

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Whatever do you mean?

I know Neil personally having dealt with him in the past.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 pm

I now understand that "Roy" is in fact a witty post modernist construct and that his "surfboard" is an ironic artifice designed to tweek the nose of convention and create an existential void into which the viewer can shovel their preconceptions. Thanks for clearing that up "Roy" I thought you were serious there for a minute 8)
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:01 pm

haaa' i seen a jonk do a cutback the other day using a paddle :lol:

cheers huie

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Nice work there Beanpole, the new surfspeak !

Huie you need to learn the new lingo... :arrow:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:

Your line of work doesn't rule out others' value by definition mate.

Not one of your better phrases, if it means anything please clarify.

ha ha nice try roy.

I reckon what I wrote above is pretty clear.

You cast a lot of people as suckers or dummies or whatever, manipulated by "the surf industry", which you present as a monolithic power structure dictating all the trends in surfing of which you disapprove, and portraying your own work as being beyond all that sorta thing.

But to me it feels as if you do your own work a disservice in the process. It doesn't have to exclude the value of others' work in surfing and vice versa. It's not outside the surfing continuum, it's part of it.

You just seem soo fcuken keen on being right to the exclusion of all else, it's sorta boring and it makes your own contributions to boardmaking feel lamer as a result. That's why people bag you on here all the time.

Note I don't, bag you that is, I am most interested and would love to ride one of those 13 foot things one day.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Nick, just thought I'd thank you for the helpful comments earlier.

A couple of people mentioned the Nat Young Bic, and I remember Longygrom, a renowned old schools stylist, recommending it as a good board, which I felt in context was really saying something. Anyway, with those recommendations I went away and looked at how much such a board would cost, which led me to some videos and an ALB video board review. Now I've never seen myself surf a longboard and there's still an awful lot of potential improvement but my feeling is my surfing isn't actually all that much different to the ALB test riders, who have maybe 10 or 20 years on me in age but also have that and more on me on longboard experience. In particular I reckon my cutbacks were pretty much the same. So maybe my little cutties with a foam push to my ankles isn't so bad. And by working on that drop knee (which Nick's tips will help me focus on) I can add some style to the mix.

I personally think 'post modernism' is a pretty useless term except to define itself against "modernism". Maybe Roy is suggesting his artisan work is post modern in contrast to a supposed Fordist modernism of production line surfboards. And sure, that has happened on occasion. NC could give more detail but yeah, there were some rudimentary production line systems toward the tail of the first longboard era, maybe with McCoy in the late 70's and early 80's, and certainly with Channel Islands and Base and Surftech and GSI. But there are a whole heap of non-Fordist manufacturers and indeed isn't surfboard manufacturing almost defined by its cottage nature? Most of my boards over the years have been sourced from the guy who shapes the board and runs the business. Not "Fordist" that's for sure. Or is Roy suggesting that his boards are 'post modern' in some artistic context, but if so that tie definitely eludes me. He certainly can't be using it in context of a refutation of modernism as defined by the search for or existence of an objective truth, because Roy says he possesses that very thing that post-modernism says doesn't exist (namely the one and only objective truth).

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:

Your line of work doesn't rule out others' value by definition mate.

Not one of your better phrases, if it means anything please clarify.

ha ha nice try roy.

I reckon what I wrote above is pretty clear.

You cast a lot of people as suckers or dummies or whatever, manipulated by "the surf industry", which you present as a monolithic power structure dictating all the trends in surfing of which you disapprove, and portraying your own work as being beyond all that sorta thing.

But to me it feels as if you do your own work a disservice in the process. It doesn't have to exclude the value of others' work in surfing and vice versa. It's not outside the surfing continuum, it's part of it.

You just seem soo fcuken keen on being right to the exclusion of all else, it's sorta boring and it makes your own contributions to boardmaking feel lamer as a result. That's why people bag you on here all the time.

Note I don't, bag you that is, I am most interested and would love to ride one of those 13 foot things one day.

Do not attempt to muzzle the Roy ! :wink:

Thanks for your perspective on it all.

Re. the 13 footer there's one on the North Shore if you happen to be over there.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:57 pm

.....nobody wants to muzzle you Roy :lol: ....the generic one-liners just get a bit monotonous after a while , thats all.......

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Buzzy , the Natyoung/Rooster bics are an excellent all round ride !......more durable than a surftech those boards.....

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm

buzzy wrote:
I personally think 'post modernism' is a pretty useless term except to define itself against "modernism". Maybe Roy is suggesting his artisan work is post modern in contrast to a supposed Fordist modernism of production line surfboards. And sure, that has happened on occasion. NC could give more detail but yeah, there were some rudimentary production line systems toward the tail of the first longboard era, maybe with McCoy in the late 70's and early 80's, and certainly with Channel Islands and Base and Surftech and GSI. But there are a whole heap of non-Fordist manufacturers and indeed isn't surfboard manufacturing almost defined by its cottage nature? Most of my boards over the years have been sourced from the guy who shapes the board and runs the business. Not "Fordist" that's for sure. Or is Roy suggesting that his boards are 'post modern' in some artistic context, but if so that tie definitely eludes me. He certainly can't be using it in context of a refutation of modernism as defined by the search for or existence of an objective truth, because Roy says he possesses that very thing that post-modernism says doesn't exist (namely the one and only objective truth).
I have never said that I possess 'the one and only objective truth' that distinction goes to the ASP and the surf media.

Regarding production lines, the surf industry operates as a modernist polycentric oligarchy, a virtual networked franchise where all things surfing exist only when and if they are processed by the machine. The setting up of a global system of surfing standards is ridiculously modernist, as is the global surf propaganda side of the cartel. It's modernist through and through, the fact that the beast has now decided to propagate 'variety' does not change this, and by the way 'retro' is a chronically late modernist phase.

Artistically the modernist surf industry defines surfing as a form of self expression. I'm not part of that, I don't surf as a means of self expression.

Naturally you don't understand as you are entrenched in modernism and to a modernist everything which occurs in the present is modern by definition.

Similarly Nick insists that I'm part of the surf industry, that's because modernism seeks to own everything.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:10 pm

kayu wrote:
.....nobody wants to muzzle you Roy
The facts are against you there.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote: I'm not part of that, I don't surf as a means of self expression.

I remember you said something about this before.

Could you elaborate?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi Steve I realise that it's possible to argue that anything a person does is a form of self expression, so I'd better explain what I mean.

I don't surf in order to express my personality, to be artistic, or to exhibit or experience 'style'.

I inhabit a more primeval mindset, it isn't sociable or enjoyable in the usual sense, it's more akin to stalking and hunting. I prefer to ride without accents, great moves or spectacular moments of crisis. I work hard and seriously to own and make waves, naturally preferring to dominate the lineup.

Does that make sense?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:I don't surf in order to express my personality, to be artistic, or to exhibit or experience 'style'.
Oh really?

So a kilt wearing, bearded lunatic driving to the beach in a renovated school bus wearing a salmon coloured wettie riding a piece of lumber 100 metres long in a constant poo-stance squatting motion does not hint at expressing ones personality?

Well knock me over with a fcuken feather if it ain't true
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:Hi Steve I realise that it's possible to argue that anything a person does is a form of self expression, so I'd better explain what I mean.

I don't surf in order to express my personality, to be artistic, or to exhibit or experience 'style'.

I inhabit a more primeval mindset, it isn't sociable or enjoyable in the usual sense, it's more akin to stalking and hunting. I prefer to ride without accents, great moves or spectacular moments of crisis. I work hard and seriously to own and make waves, naturally preferring to dominate the lineup.

Does that make sense?
Yes.
Actually, hang on...are you a shark?
If not, you're off your trolley.