Cutbacks on a longboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Cutbacks on a longboard

Post by Beanpole » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:23 pm

As usual the rest of the surfing world is out of kilter with Roy. The good thing about mals is walking. The best cutback in longboarding is still Ray Gleave. The absolute worst style of cutback is the high performance, look I can turn my mal like a shortie cutback.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Where does Joel Tudor fit...he has a nice cut back i think...but i dont ride long boards but am thinking about grabbing one and try to learn to ride it, my initial desire would to be to ride it like a short board which Ive read is a very Australian style of riding where as the US have a traditional approach (so Alex Knost the self proclaimed cool cat says - but i have been told by some people he is the best all round surfer so may carry some weight...but thats a massive call when Slater wins 11).

Can you get long board lessons? I'm ok on a shortboard and fish but I wouldnt want to ride it like those style of boards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Beanpole wrote:

The good thing about mals is walking.
No, the good thing about mals is that they handicap the opposition.

The best cutback in longboarding is still Ray Gleave. The absolute worst style of cutback is the high performance, look I can turn my mal like a shortie cutback.

Blokes who go on about malibu riding style are very twee.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Standing in one spot like a Maori god might suit you Roy but longboards/ malibus are designed so the rider CAN walk them. You've probably never mastered it so that would explain your blaming the board design.
There is an artistry in moving about on the board.
And buzzy, I can't help you with the import. I do know that the lighter the board, the harder it is to pull off a drop-knee cutback. Forget trying to turn from one spot - that's for your shortboard - as you already seem to have worked out anyway.
IMO you need a bit of weight in a board to be able to walk it properly. Mabe that's why they're called "logs". :wink:
My boards are probably somewhat lighter than I'd like for traditional mal riding. I missed out on an ideal board being sold by Tiger a while back. I regret it to this day.
I enjoy seeing a shortboard being ridden well and I enjoy seeing a mal being ridden well.
Can't say the same for the rubbish I've seen Roy riding. Nice craftsmanship. Terribel execution - but maybe that's a fault of Roy's design rather than his surfing ability. (or not 8) ).
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Drop that knee brother

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:06 am

TrevG wrote:
Standing in one spot like a Maori god might suit you Roy but longboards/ malibus are designed so the rider CAN walk them.
In fact the design was originally not only a shortboard it was also a mistake and the walking was required to overcome the error, paradoxically this became trendy.

The bottom line is that you can bang on about artistry as much as you like but the design and its walking requirement are a gross inefficiency.

Malibu shapes are really a shortboard type and are unsuitable for longboards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 am

Nothing looks worse than mal riding done 'properly'.

The reason for this is that it is grossly inefficient.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:17 am

TrevG wrote:
Forget trying to turn from one spot - that's for your shortboard - as you already seem to have worked out anyway.
Wrong.

I enjoy seeing a shortboard being ridden well and I enjoy seeing a mal being ridden well.
Can't say the same for the rubbish I've seen Roy riding. Nice craftsmanship. Terribel execution - but maybe that's a fault of Roy's design rather than his surfing ability.

).
Wrong again my boards are light years ahead of your stupid mals and the gay ungainly flapping which you idiots celebrate.

The great part is that your brainwashing has handicapped you all in the water... it makes life so much easier for me.

The joke is on you !

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:53 am

^^^
So predictable.
We're all wrong and Roy is Right.
We probably should all go out and top ourselves. I feel soooooo useless.

Not.

Welcome back "Delusional Roy"

BTW. Nice shot marcus_h 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 am

I thought no one would answer my question for a while!

Thanks for the tips. I will be looking for a good longboard but funds might prevent that for at least another 6 months. Interesting that added weight helps cutbacks!

Roy, Roy, Roy,all I can say is I personally enjoy the different sensations involved in surfing different styles of board. So what that walking the board isn't super efficient? -it's fun, and that's the point. It also looks cool. It's like a comparison of alpine and telemark skiing - alpine is infinitely more efficient but tele feels and looks super cool.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:10 am

I move around on most of my boards. Even the 5'8'', i'll get forward to trim on a fat section, fells better than pumping like a monkey, though i do that on hollower waves!. On my 7'10'', i stand a little forward to set it up, and then get right back as i come down n around. I can't just stand there, i need to move around.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Hey Buzzy,

Those snappy cutbacks aren't often done on logs which seem to take longer to react than a HP mal. There's nothing wrong with logging, it's a different way of surfing, and I look forward to those knee-waist high days so I can pull out the 10 footer.

And I'm a heathen for saying it, but I reckon the Bic 9'4 Nat Young is a great all round longboard - you can walk it with ease, and it behaves more like a HP mal than a log. I think HPD - Takayama are now making the pu model in Byron which will be better, but with an added cost.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Takas have been made in byron for years.
I really like watching Joel Tudor surf and Bonga looks good on a high performance board. Of course they look very twee compared to Admiral Roy but hey they try. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Theres a spectrum between full on logging and thrashing it and its really when the reos and cutbacks get to thrusterish that it starts to look lame in my opinion anyway. Roy just looks majestic like a great albatross. Oh sorry that was his board looks like a great albatross hanging around his neck." Unhand me, greybeard loon".
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:19 pm

HPD -Takayama ' In the Pink" model....handshaped by Paul Hutcho to exact DT specs- at Nth Coast Surfboards , Byron.... :)
Attachments
aroundsept-october-'09 029.jpg

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:15 pm

buzzy wrote:
Roy, Roy, Roy,

all I can say is I personally enjoy the different sensations involved in surfing different styles of board. So what that walking the board isn't super efficient? -it's fun, and that's the point. It also looks cool.
Translation:

You stutter and are a brainwashed clone.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Beanpole wrote:
I really like watching Joel Tudor surf and Bonga looks good on a high performance board. Of course they look very twee compared to Admiral Roy but hey they try. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tudor is excellent when he gets off the mals, Perkins is really effectively shortboarding on mini mals so it is irrelevant except when he does the noseride bit and that's just a sh*t as when anyone else does it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:36 am

kayu wrote:HPD -Takayama ' In the Pink" model....handshaped by Paul Hutcho to exact DT specs- at Nth Coast Surfboards , Byron.... :)
Can I get one exactly the same but without the logo cheaper :) :) :?:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Hey Buzzy,

Those snappy cutbacks aren't often done on logs which seem to take longer to react than a HP mal. There's nothing wrong with logging, it's a different way of surfing, and I look forward to those knee-waist high days so I can pull out the 10 footer.

And I'm a heathen for saying it, but I reckon the Bic 9'4 Nat Young is a great all round longboard - you can walk it with ease, and it behaves more like a HP mal than a log. I think HPD - Takayama are now making the pu model in Byron which will be better, but with an added cost.
Funny you should mention the Bic 9'4".
A mate of Rooster's who has several of his boards loves riding the Bic 9'4" when the waves are pumping at the Bluff.
Rooster (Darrel Dell) is the shaper of the plug/file or whatever it is for the 9'4" Nat young Bic.
I like the Bic....no issue with drop ins and rail argey bargey in crowded line ups. Plenty of float to put the kids on the nose when it's tiny and take them for a paddle too.
Only a rat can win the rat race.