Ghost 11

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Ghost 11

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Your post is illogical my pricing is a force for wealth redistribution from the 1% to the 99%.

Regarding the search for the answer re. my pricing it is in fact available via internet search so my comment was accurate.

Next...

:roll:

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:Your post is illogical my pricing is a force for wealth redistribution from the 1% to the 99%.

Regarding the search for the answer re. my pricing it is in fact available via internet search so my comment was accurate.

Next...

:roll:
Awesome, please put down on the wealth distribution list if you ever sell one (but I wont hold my breath....)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:00 pm

This is Roys world Dae, we just living in it.

And I would love to ride that board in the land of the long white cloud and come to grips with living Stewart style.

If I had to guess I would term it New zealand transcendentalism.

Burp.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't really doubt that Roy is happy in his experience of the world, and I hope that he is happy, I really do. I find it a shame though that he is creating fine objects and holds them back from the world through something so silly as a price tag that is far, far beyond sensible and justifies it in the way he does.

Roy could be so much more than what he is. He could be a figure of awe and inspiration for the work that he does, having a cult following around the world and creating joy for those that would truly appreciate riding his boards. It should never be about money, but that's what he does. He can try and justify constraining the ability of others to purchase his boards - which I believe he has done in a past interview, though I can't recall the exact reasoning - but to do so by simply pricing it to a minuscule percentage of the surfing world, if there actually happens to be a surfer with that much money, is so unsophisticated that it's childish. Saying 'no' to a particular sale could work as well, without alienating people. Roy doesn't need lucidity or savvy he just needs to be realistic.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:23 am

Correct me if I'm wrong roy but I recall you offering the free use of one of your boards if it could be brought back down under from Hawai'i.
There are enough realsurfers who make that trek to make this an easily doable thing. Nick immediately comes to mind :idea: .
hell if we can scrounge up the dosh to send shearer to Tahiti we can get a log from the sandwich islands to oz.
'twould be epic :D
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 am

Last I heard that board went to California to be ridden by the Surfer mag froum crew.
What ever happened to it and any ride reports?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 pm

The Future Primitive Ghost 13 footer is still on Oahu, with Donald B around Haleiwa.

It's a community board basically so feel free to dream something up.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Dae wrote:
I don't really doubt that Roy is happy in his experience of the world, and I hope that he is happy, I really do. I find it a shame though that he is creating fine objects and holds them back from the world through something so silly as a price tag that is far, far beyond sensible and justifies it in the way he does.
I help people to build their own, work which I do for free and/or for very low pay.

Here's NZ artist Seeka's 10'Makaha ( modified) which he built from a custom kit which I supplied, it's now his 'go to' board:

Here are the ride reports:

Most recent: http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipe ... inued.html

Initial:http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipe ... ntail.html

Roy could be so much more than what he is. He could be a figure of awe and inspiration for the work that he does, having a cult following around the world and creating joy for those that would truly appreciate riding his boards.
Thankyou... onwards and upwards !

It should never be about money, but that's what he does. He can try and justify constraining the ability of others to purchase his boards - which I believe he has done in a past interview, though I can't recall the exact reasoning -
Your poor memory is not my responsibility, the reasoning is that I help people to build their own.

Since I started I doubt if I've been paid $1 per hour overall and we invested everything we had initially... and have only clawed our way back to the point where we can afford to surf again this year.

Regarding money we reserve the right to 'dream big' and get back that waterfront property which we blew away.

:D

but to do so by simply pricing it to a minuscule percentage of the surfing world, if there actually happens to be a surfer with that much money, is so unsophisticated that it's childish.
Not according to the Mint Museum in Charlotte North Carolina and the Museum of Art and design in New York who will be exhibiting the Olo of the Sun in an exhibition next year, nor to Riviera magazine and a host of others...

The strategy is based on sound principles.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:01 pm

I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again: I wish you the best of luck.

That doesn't, of course, mean I agree with your choices, or that we'd ever wish to share a drink together. Best of luck though chucklehead.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks, I don't drink alcohol but I'll have a cup of tea with you no problem.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:51 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:The Future Primitive Ghost 13 footer is still on Oahu, with Donald B around Haleiwa.

It's a community board basically so feel free to dream something up.

...... :arrow:
Find out how much it is to ship, set up a paypal acct. with trevg., any $ unspent goes to the realsurf barbeque fund. :mrgreen:

I'm in for ten. :D
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Very upright fin Roy, what made you decide to use a fin like that compared to a fin with longer rake that can utilise flex through turns?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:59 pm

The displacement tail feels better with a stiff fin. I use flex fins on wider tailed boards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:32 am

Cheers Saltman,

The 11 footer is for my son Patrick (22) who has access to some good waves in the Napier area. He hasn't surfed much for the past 5 years but has a good job now and wants to get back into it. he said that he considered buying a mal but doesn't like the way they ride and wants another Future Primitive as they turn so easily.

If you'd like one then I can help you to make one, especially if you have paulownia or cedar available.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:10 pm

If an FP were tail chopped shape we'd get a' pig' shape ( it would move the wide point back behind the centre) and it would work ok but not as well s the pintail.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:If an FP were tail chopped shape we'd get a' pig' shape
A small step in the right direction !......where's that f*ckn chain saw !!!

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Ok heres the deal. If no one else will do it, I will.
Heading to Oahu in Feb. Roy can you hook me up with 'that board' and I will take it out for a test ride? I will then post a report on realsurf for all to see with photos and all. Now don't tell me how I should surf it, or what state of mind I should be in to surf the fkrn thing. I will just ride it and then report back on my thoughts (not yours). Wadya think?

PS. you will need to organise a semi, air lift, crane or whatever is needed to get the thing down the beach coz I aint fkrn carrying it. But I will ride it for ya (as long as it floats/ paddles).