Show us your guns!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pirate_agenda
regular

Re: Show us your guns!

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 am

crustt wrote:Just got these delivered, 7"0", 7'6" and 8'0" woohoo ready for Autumn :D :D :D :D
crust, beautiful looking boards, care to share any info on the 8'0? dims, bottom shapes, fin placements etc.

had it out in any juice yet?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Inspired by the way the Hollow Biscuit turned out and inspired by that beautiful wooden gun that Kayu showed, Im in the process of stripping the glass and re-shaping an old 8' pintail sailboard that I used in Maui in 93. The board was a Mad Dog shaped by Bob Margetts 8'1"x 211/2 so all the elements are there. I'm going to laminate it with balsa and cedar veneers. I'll blog it on the other design thread.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Cheers wingnut, i asked because recently in some overhead and very steep waves i found the longboard just wasn't a great option haha, too much length and width in the nose. Thinking of something similar, maybe a touch wider in the middle, but want to keep the nose and tail pulled in. Let us know how it goes mate.

Spork, be cool to see that!.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:46 pm

I know this is no gun but in response to Beerfan I'll post this up since I know he'll like it....
Here ya go Mark.
This one is mine and is 7'6" X 22" X 3".
Created for the points of Snapper, Greenmount and the like by Feral Dave when his longboard is a bit of a handful.
Been riding it in this last swell with great success. Does what is supposed to do.
There's a shot of it next to a corktop broad bean 6'2" for comparison.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've been using a 6.5" centre fin with bonzer sides.

It's a different animal to the SG.
JaM71 who has an SG kindly brought it up from the Goldie for me and he's already thinking of trading his SG on one.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Pete, the stupid page is cutting out half the board, which diverse model is it??. Got a link to another pic??.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Mark,
You should be able to right click on the pic and select "view image".
It's called a GM on Dave's site but don't think he has any stock boards atm.
If you've got Image shack then this link should work...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... 002ik.jpg/
And then you can see the other pics too.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey Pete,

You mentioned the bonzer sides. You've said in the past you had those for your old DVS 8 footer.

My 8' is becoming my go to board - loving it in most conditions.

What do the bonzer sides add? Love to hear your thoughts.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Hi Mark,
Hey cuttlefish,

I didnt recognize the flooring of dave's shop, i thought that you had a spacious lounge room with rough brown carpet and had just purchased a cork top board in the last 48 hours! Looking forward to thorough board review, i think that beerfan has an SG as well and may appreciate a review.....we could all do with a new board or 3 to ease the winter blues :D
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Yes, I have a 7'2" sg. Just got it back off a mate for winter. Haven't had many waves on it, but had a good surf on it in head high plus a while ago. Can't find a description of a GM model on daves site, what style of board is it???. It looks like it has a nice pulled in round pin?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:47 pm

JaM71 wrote:
Cuttlefish wrote:Hi Mark,
Hey cuttlefish,

I didnt recognize the flooring of dave's shop, i thought that you had a spacious lounge room with rough brown carpet and had just purchased a cork top board in the last 48 hours! Looking forward to thorough board review, i think that beerfan has an SG as well and may appreciate a review.....we could all do with a new board or 3 to ease the winter blues :D
Tomorrow I've got to check out the conditions first...what to ride????
The GM, or my 6'2" dynocore broad bean (which has been neglected lately) but loves a hollow wave.
:D

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Hey Pete,

You mentioned the bonzer sides. You've said in the past you had those for your old DVS 8 footer.

My 8' is becoming my go to board - loving it in most conditions.

What do the bonzer sides add? Love to hear your thoughts.
Hi Morgan,
Glad you're enjoying the 8'er.
Such a versatile board.
The bonzers "feel" like the board goes faster but also has amazing hold through turns.
I tried them after reading an article about bonzers in which Malcolm Campbell said that putting bonzer fins in any board would make it feel better.
So I tried it and sure enough they work great.
My 7'er I first tried with an 8' Greenough 4C fin as a single.
Felt sluggish and stiff (even with the fin pushed right forward in the box).
Put in a wavegrinder....looser and starting to let the handbrake off but stepping back on the tail to cutback had me experiencing "speed wobbles".
Put in the bonzer sides (larger of the 2 pairs out of the FCS 4 pack) and a 6.5" single and the board felt perfect. I can't say more than this. A transformation from thinking "what a dog" to "I should never sell this board".
The only other fins I've tried in it which have felt anywhere near as good are the Webber curves with an M5 PC centre (which has a single fin base not tabs).
However I tried some curves which have a less extreme curve than the Webbers in the 6'6" DVS carbon and they felt sluggish.
The 8' DVS carbon also felt nice and loose with a "Spitfire" fin as the centre.
I believe Otway is really enjoying using the bonzer fins in his longboard and maybe Jason (JaM71) will chime in with his thoughts on the bonzer side fin differences as he borrowed mine and now has them in his sexy little crumpet.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:51 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:
crustt wrote:Just got these delivered, 7"0", 7'6" and 8'0" woohoo ready for Autumn :D :D :D :D
crust, beautiful looking boards, care to share any info on the 8'0? dims, bottom shapes, fin placements etc.

The 7'6" & 7'0"are 20 3/8" wide and 3"thick, and the 8'0" is 20 1/2" and 3 1/8" they all have slight single concave going into double and fins are on the bottom, sorry mate I can't really tell you that much on the tech side, all I can say is there is alot of foam in them and they're paddling machines, having said that they are loose and well balanced.
I have had them out in some juicey waves, but nothing over 8 ft, they go unreal, going west next week looking forward to get them in some real waves day after day :D

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Morgan,

Cuttles put me onto the bonzer side fins for my 5"11 2+1 which has a wide diamond tail. Cuttlefish has his in longer boards with a narrower tail, however, in our opinion, they work well in both types of board. They quicken the board, have good drive, good hold and give a nice little squirt to turns.
I played around with lots of different fin options thanks to cuttlefish and settled on a 6.5 shapers fin with the bonzer fins......i may sell the board but will never sell the bonzer fins.
You get a few funny looks whilst doing laps at the points tho :lol:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 am

crustt wrote:
pirate_agenda wrote:

The 7'6" & 7'0"are 20 3/8" wide and 3"thick, and the 8'0" is 20 1/2" and 3 1/8" they all have slight single concave going into double and fins are on the bottom, sorry mate I can't really tell you that much on the tech side, all I can say is there is alot of foam in them and they're paddling machines, having said that they are loose and well balanced.
I have had them out in some juicey waves, but nothing over 8 ft, they go unreal, going west next week looking forward to get them in some real waves day after day :D
fins on the bottom!! :lol:

they do sound like paddling machines at those thicknesses. i think i want something in the mid 7-8ft range similar for those days when lots of water is moving around.

cheers mate

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 am

Pete and Jam,

Thanks for the feedback. About to convert a wide assed single to have quad options, but after that I might have to get my some bonzer sides.

Cheers :D

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:28 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:
crustt wrote:
pirate_agenda wrote:

fins on the bottom!! :lol:

they do sound like paddling machines at those thicknesses. i think i want something in the mid 7-8ft range similar for those days when lots of water is moving around.

cheers mate
Yeah that's what it's all about, that's what you need with all that water moving and it's good to be able to scramble into position or out of the way of a bomb set.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Sick looking boards guys. I'm wondering what happens when you get caught inside on a big day with a board with so much volume? (I admit I am a big girls blouse and have never surfed in anything over 6-8 feet.)
I'm guessing the benefits of the extra paddle power to get onto waves, and to paddle around in turbulent sweepy water outweighs the negative of not really being able to duckdive.
I also suppose that if ya cop a 12foot wave on the head that it doesn't matter what kind of board you are on. :D
Last edited by Topher on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:46 pm

9'0" Brewer.

8'0" McCoy
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes