Show us your guns!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

kayu
Local

Re: Show us your guns!

Post by kayu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:17 am

8ft huon pine and balsa wood gun. Quite stoked with this. The weight and balance has that magic feel. DVS done a superb job.... :)
Attachments
PA170456.JPG
PA170451.JPG
PA170449.JPG

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:34 pm

^^^^^^^^^^

Kayu is that for surfing or wall hanging?

Beautiful piece, by the way. I'm guessing by your comments about balance, it's gonna get wet.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:58 pm

It' heading to the Micky Mock auction Trev.....but yes its a rider for sure..I didn't get the actual weight , but it feels magic in your hands.....and whoever gets it will score big time IMO , and it begs to be ridden....

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:50 am

looks incredible, I need a replacement gun as my 7'6 died last year and hasn't been replaced. Where is this auction?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:05 pm

kayu wrote:It' heading to the Micky Mock auction Trev.....but yes its a rider for sure..I didn't get the actual weight , but it feels magic in your hands.....and whoever gets it will score big time IMO , and it begs to be ridden....
Is that still at Freshie/Harbord?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Oh my hat, that thing is amazing 8)

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 pm

TrevG wrote:
kayu wrote:It' heading to the Micky Mock auction Trev.....but yes its a rider for sure..I didn't get the actual weight , but it feels magic in your hands.....and whoever gets it will score big time IMO , and it begs to be ridden....
Is that still at Freshie/Harbord?
Harbord Diggers last year.....not sure this year :?:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Mrkook wrote:looks incredible, I need a replacement gun as my 7'6 died last year and hasn't been replaced. Where is this auction?
There is no compromising in the shaping or construction....it is to the shapers exact specs and tweaked for total performance........handcrafted wood is on another level

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:32 pm

just found this...as a gun and single fin lover ( i debate the need for multi fins in big waves)

well.....i'm in love 8)

i'll take your word on wood

but that shape would work well in any type construction :idea: ....great curves, just a great looking shape

c'mon cyclone season :!: i'm all excited now :P

trev....i want my gun back :lol: i'm frothing :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:44 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote: c'mon cyclone season :!: i'm all excited now :P

This week sometime.
I'll pm you.
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:14 pm

TrevG wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote: c'mon cyclone season :!: i'm all excited now :P

This week sometime.
I'll pm you.
It's mine. 8)
All bought and paid for. 8)
Now, bring on the cyclone season.
Beanpole

Skipper

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 am

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 am

oh, jeez....
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:40 pm

offshore1 wrote:oh, jeez....
Yeah I do get called Jesus often, nearly every day.

The fact is that the design shown above is light years ahead of what you people think 'guns' are.

It's just the way it is. The board is perfectly balanced.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
offshore1 wrote:oh, jeez....
The board is perfectly balanced.
If it were to be used as a see-saw.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Couldn't help myself on this one.
After buying my mate's DVS right at the start of this thread and then his (then) wife making him ask for it back, I still hankered for another good gun.
I'm not after a longboard ride but wanted another "longer" board to have some fun on in a wide range of waves and this one was to good a deal to resist.
9'1" X 22" X 3 1/8"
I've had an MC gun before which was made for Andrew McKinnon to surf Sunset.
Always felt a little stiff on the biggest days I came across on the Sunshine coast (no suprise, I know).
The board paddled faster than any other board I've ever paddled. When I first got it I took it out for a paddle at 3-4' Pass just to see what it was like.
Pretty satisfying paddling past all the guys on longboards through the low tide rip.
I remember dropping into a decent sized one at Boiling Pot on a cyclone swell and thinking how easy the drop felt on the board. Cadillac smooth and easy.
A quick call to MC confirmed this one had been made for here not Sunset so would be a lot easier to turn as those who own them are riding them in small right through to big waves.
A lot of MC's customers have also been riding these over in Indo and loving it.
Basically he's simply stretched out one of his shorter gun templates to make a board for big guys to enjoy the paddle power and early entry.
I'm not planning to tackle anything much just wanted a board that was longer, paddled like a shark and was a joy to ride.
So I've asked MC's wife Toshie if I could put a deposit on it and she's said "no problem" then paused and said there's a sold sticker on it.
Damn. Missed out!
But a bit of checking in their book and she finds out the sale fell through...stoked. It will be mine after all.
I had it sent up and was shocked when it turned up.
The fcs stickers were still on the deck over the plugs (although some people don;t peel them off).
A look down the deck showed a virgin deck.
Flip it over and the same.
A look along the rails.
Oh, yeah.
I've scored a board that's never been waxed or been in the water as far as I can tell anyway.
A look at the rocker shows this is a board that could get a lot of water time.
I'm looking forward to becoming so familiar with this board in a wide range of normal conditions there will be no unknowns when it starts pumping.

http://www.mcsurf.com.au/products/mc-ma ... nd-/1663/1

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

surfanimals
Local

Post by surfanimals » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Hey Cuttlefish, how's the MC going ?

I was going to grab it but you beat me too it.

I had an 8'4 a couple years back made for Andy Mac that was a similar shape and loved it.

I've just had the boys at Carabine down here in 'gong shape me up and 'all round' style gun - sort of a one board quiver for travelling.

Specs; 9'0 x 23 x 3 1/8 - 6 x 6oz on the deck and 4 x 4oz on the bottom - Single to Double 'caves.

NB - 104kg / 182cm & slowing up !

I've taken a little from the MC Mal / Man Gun, and a bit from all sorts of boards I've cruised on and come up with this.....not ridden it yet, next week will be the test drive once cured for 3 weeks.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Brett,
I've had a fun beachbreak session last week on it to see how it paddled and rode.
The projection of the board is phenomenal. Such a blast doing bottom turns on it.
Late drops easy with its prodigious rocker.
Plenty loose as well.
I've had an Andy Mc cast off as well.
It was 9' X 21" X 3 1/8" but had been made for Sunset so less rocker and while it paddled better than any surfboard I've ever been on it was a chore to turn in ordinary sized waves (go figure :lol: ),
That Carabine looks like a very versatile shape.
You obviously mixed the elements well.
I thought you'd stopped riding regular boards?
Only a rat can win the rat race.