Diverse™ Blatant Tomo MPH ripoff

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

feraldave
Grommet

Re: Diverse™ Blatant Tomo MPH ripoff

Post by feraldave » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:36 pm

collnarra wrote:Hey Dave, can you give us a bit more explanation of the dynocore tech? The website isn't super clear about it (or maybe I am looking in the wrong place).

cheers,

josh
Sure... Are you looking at Dynocore.diversesurf.com.au.
There's a few places the tech is talked about there..
In short its an engineered approach to making a board feel familiar to ride, have higher performance and greater durability than we are used to. The propietry manufacturing process involves several different fibers chosen for their technical properties and distributed to the desired flex/dampening positions. The boards are then glassed as a whole unit in one shot making sure the moleculer structure is integrally combined.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Shit u take surfboards seriously 8)

how do they feel tho? Compared to a lite weight throwaway poly?do u have any demos?
Braithy is frothing on his,new one....and thats got me interested!

Read your little newspaper article earlier this week....and i couldnt agree with you and the others any :cry: more. we need support local craftsmen or b doomed ride asian popouts foreva :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Mate I surf with just got one. he's pretty rapt on it.
bloody light.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Funny how these boards look like the natural progression from where we were at seventies to mid eighties. I remember when super banana rocker, potato chip thin, tooth picks suddenly appeared and average surfers were forced to adapt or ride mini mals and mals.

I had a low rockered Wayne Deane speed shape. Swallowtail 6'4". I 'd had it for maybe three years and went into the Mad dog shop at byron and they had gone from twinnies and relatively wide area hull type shapes to these no volume super rockered narrow needles. There was no way it would work for me and there was no alternative there or basically anywhere except mals and crude mini mals. Really weird in retrospect.
Ya think, Beanie? Not sure, they say history repeats, but it is never the same. Refine, refine, refine, and the occasional free thinker would be more to the point.
My point exactly ric. A bit like where mals have gone. Oh hang on now theyre all riding serious old clunker reproductions :roll: :roll:
What I ment was if you look at a lot of modern alternative hull type designs they look like a quantum leap forward from that starting point but without the high performance speed needle shortboard ever having existed. Thats obviously what they are. I just wish it had happened sooner rather than later.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:12 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:Shit u take surfboards seriously 8)

how do they feel tho? Compared to a lite weight throwaway poly?do u have any demos?
Braithy is frothing on his,new one....and thats got me interested!

Read your little newspaper article earlier this week....and i couldnt agree with you and the others any :cry: more. we need support local craftsmen or b doomed ride asian popouts foreva :idea:
Yes I am a bit of a build freak.. I am passionate about doing it better.
The dynocores have been designed to feel like a single layer poly pro board. In fact the boards I have made for the ct guys are identical builds to the stock on my shop shelf...
I plan to stay in oz and make them better for as long as I can....

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Fong, I never thought I'd pay a reg grundy for a board in my life. But I can say it's worth every cent.

I've got a 6'2" x 20 x 2 1/2 'wave dominator' -- which I really reckon is the right volume, planshape and rails but an inch or two too long for me, and the wrong bottom contour, it's flat I feel the best on a single into double. But ... I got it off the shelf because I'm impatient.

I'm definitely getting a custom Dynocore next up. A 5'11" or 6'0" thicker, but shorter, and the right bottom shape for me.

This week alone I've surfed knee high lefts (backhand) to a little overhead. I still can't fault the board. Took all the old wax off this week after surfing it almost every day for the last month. Four deck depressions is all. There's been a couple of times I thought at the very least I'd creased her, but most likely snapped it.

Super light. Drive, rail to rail on a dime loves the pocket. It grovels, paddles well and handles 5 foot so easily it makes me wonder just how big I can take it out in.

Never met Dave. Well I lie. Back in 1999, I did ding repairs out his currumbin shaping shed for a few months before I broke my wrist. But, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know me from a bar of soap.

Hopefully when I get my next one custom, I get to talk to him. In saying that, it doesn't really matter if I don't ... the boards speak for 'emselves.

I'm going before you cnuts start thinking I'm on Dave's payroll.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Braithy wrote:I did ding repairs out his currumbin shaping shed for a few months before I broke my wrist.

We’re more concerned how you broke ya wrist, Braithy? :twisted:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Beanpole wrote:I just wish it had happened sooner rather than later.
Never happens, Beanie. Reminds me of the phenomenon where multiple people discover within a short span of each other and/or do things previously not done before then it comes fairly commonplace. If you get the sentiment.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:05 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Braithy wrote:I did ding repairs out his currumbin shaping shed for a few months before I broke my wrist.

Weekend pub league footy game. Fractured it, I should say. 8 week cast.
Kunji wrote:

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Braithy wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:

Weekend pub league footy game. Fractured it, I should say. 8 week cast.
Frig, you have me intrigued as to who you are. If you worked for me i would like to think I remember you... I will have to scour thru customer details now to see who bought a 6'2...

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 am

Haha ... I'm not sure Dave. I was literally there for only 2 months before I did my wrist.

You had a girl who was shaping for you at the time, she was little with short hair, and maybe a glasser or he mighta been a sander, and that was it. I came in off the street one day and asked for a job and you said you'd teach me dings. And you did.

I still remember my first fin repair. I got a guy's single into a double and sanded it into a flat bottom. I had no idea what I was doing. He came back about a week later and was raving about how good his board goes after the repair. I thought he was coming back to smack me.

Anyway. Grab the Neckbeard in your 2nd hand rack ... That's my details. It's on consignment from the WD I bought!
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 am

wingnut2443 wrote:
Rude question, but how much you weigh?

Curious as to volume feel from PU to EPS, etc ...

87 kilo last time I weighed myself. Which was about 4 months ago.

Since then I've stepped up my fitness when there are no waves, and my boardies feel looser. So maybe 85 kilos if I had to guess ...

I like a board in pu in the 34-35 litre range ... which when I'm sitting on it in the lineup, the water is up to my solar plexus. Before I looked at volume in boards, I was riding boards sinking up to the top of my tits. Standard 6'1" x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8. No wonder my shoulder turned to mush.

... The dynocore is 32.9 litres which with the extra flotation, the guy at Dave's said it's about 10% extra, would be in the ballpark of 35 litres.

I think my next one, if I can pack 32 litres into a 6'0" x 19 3/4 by adding to the thickness it'll be just about perfect.
Kunji wrote:

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:34 am

Braithy, would you like me to post a pic of you for fd :?:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Nah, Dave knows who I am now.

Part of me wonders why you're carrying around a pic of me ... I hope you're taking care of it.
Kunji wrote:

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:48 pm

When I 1st arrived, you told me I had it all wrong; you actually admired and respected me. Why wouldn't I carry a photo :?:

Don't make me post it, Daryl
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Question for feral dave:

When you compare the paddling of the Chopper with the Diverse MPH, I'm guessing the Chopper will be more practical in that area right?

I know the whole parallel outline and wide-tail theory is supposed to create a better paddling board even with low volume, but from my experience of those boards they don't paddle very well from A-to-B, but they do paddle well once the waves energy is near you trying to pick you up.

What have you found the main difference to be? Whats your opinion of the whole more efficient paddling at low volumes. etc?
I was skeptical as well captain, however, i borrowed dave"s demo felix this weekend and even though its the lowest volumed board that i ve ridden in quite a while it was a breeze to paddle :!: it was fast ,responsive and the steeper the wave the better. The board is a little rocket and so much fun. I rode it as a quad and am gonna order one with a five fin set up.
I really liked the feel of the dynacore technology as well, the boards are light and feel good under the arm.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Jason,
What kind of quad fins did the Felix have in it?
Also curious about the plug placement?
My broad bean is rail centric as opposed to the common McKee placement.
Asking because I seem to recall the first Felix's having thruster plugs (without going back to look on page 1).
Surfed my broad bean first thing last Friday morning while the swell was pulsing again and got myself reaccquainted with the dynocore speed.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Hi Jason,
What kind of quad fins did the Felix have in it?
Also curious about the plug placement?
My broad bean is rail centric as opposed to the common McKee placement.
Asking because I seem to recall the first Felix's having thruster plugs (without going back to look on page 1).
Surfed my broad bean first thing last Friday morning while the swell was pulsing again and got myself reaccquainted with the dynocore speed.
Hey cuttlefish,
The quad fins were a generic fcs and as i am a futures kind of guy i basically have no idea :shock: however, the set up is similiar to your broadbean i.e. Rail centric as opposed to the McKee placement which as you know i am used to. If dave is out there he may be able to chime in on this point. The first one was a thruster...i enjoyed it as a quad.
Dave gave me a good tip, take a couple extra strokes before popping up. I have to say the later i took off the better the board went. The tail looks a tad dangerous, i can envisage a spearing incident, however, apparently they are quite an important design feature as they are a pivot point. Overall a very fun responsive board.
The dynacore feels good as well, its different to the other eps epoxy boards that i have ridden. Even if a hi performance board like the Felix is not your cup of tea, i still recommend taking a dynacore board for a spin.....apparently they re bullet proof :!:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"