Diverse™ Blatant Tomo MPH ripoff

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

feraldave
Grommet

Diverse™ Blatant Tomo MPH ripoff

Post by feraldave » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 pm

So Sometimes When Im Shaping or cutting things on my Beloved APS 3000 CNC, Things go wrong, Accidents happen. Concentration lapse or mechanical failures.. Ask GWS what its like running a machine day in day out...
I hate wasting blanks, its my chosen art. So this one started out as a DM model it should have been 6'3 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2..
Anyway it ended up a lot thinner after the first cut down the centre so , i paused the machine to make sure i wasnt going to cut off any important fixtures.. all good so i went what the $%^&; just cut it and see what comes out. the blank ended up way too thin in the nose and tail and only 2" thick in the middle..
i put aside for the day, i got what i needed to get done then went home with a mental image of what i had cut..
that night checked out surfermag Forum and had a look at the Tomo MPH. bingo i has an idea of what i could turn this blank into..
next morning i jumped in the bay and came out with this.. 5'8 x 19 1/2 x 2"... so its a low volume very high performance board. its ideal in waves with punch and high speed. i have lent it out to a few of my performance crew and have had nothing but praise and tough times trying to get it back.. claims like its the best board ever, and how the hell did i do those moves this morning etc..
so inspiration credit to Dan Tomo and cheers Stretch for the rail channels. oh and thanks to all those Maid Cafe's in tokyo ive cruised past for the tail shape.. i call it the Felix after "Felix the Cat". im yet to get time to go shoot pics of anyone riding it, but im going to try to do some shooting soon.!ImageImageImageImage

Dynocore™ info

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Diverse™ Blatant Tomo MPH ripoff

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:17 am

Looks fun dave, what bottom contours to you have going on with this puppy?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Fcuk Dave, gimme a go on that thing.

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Fcuk Dave, gimme a go on that thing.
Sure nick, are you up here soon? Ryan is due in the next few days to pick his new Dynocore up...

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Fcuk Dave, gimme a go on that thing.
Have. You had a go on it yet nick?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 pm

i lve know more about the rails....look very edgy on the bottom from the pic :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 am

Thomo's got his own take on hydronamics which is a trifle hard to follow for me but see if you can get into it...
http://tomosurfboards.com/
Only a rat can win the rat race.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Thomo's got his own take on hydronamics which is a trifle hard to follow for me but see if you can get into it...
well i can see that he at least puts his fins in the right place on his chanell boards.

lords stuff is old knowledge'' they never had the software to get things even close?

i have mentioned to you before the dutchman leads the way its just a mater of deciphering what can be used from a surfboard point of design.

a hull well designed for a speed of 20 or 25
knots is often not very efficient in running 12 or 13 knots. This indicates that a hull form
purely designed for the maximum speed is not economical. The behaviour and performance of
the yacht at cruising speed should also be taken into account.

hull efficientcy is the BIG word here :idea:

cheers huie

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Thomo's got his own take on hydronamics which is a trifle hard to follow for me but see if you can get into it...
Might have copped some influence from this guy (Ekstrom). Side note seen a few guys lately riding the mini simmons set up...does it feel better than it looks?

Tomo not a bad test pilot, the rounded nose on the Diverse and Tomos nice as.

http://surfboardsbyhydrodynamica.com/hulls/ekstrom.html

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:10 pm

The traditional version of the mini-simmons is far more of a glide experience than a ball-tearing hi-per surfing experience. Imagine a board that gets up to a stupidly fast planing speed with very little effort from the wave, will seriously beat sections that you will be surprised at, and even speeds up when you turn it. Try to surf top-to-bottom and you'll find it a little slow at times. Its a different style of surfing, to turn you first have to load the tail a little and it takes a second to respond but when it does its a more drawn out turn.

MP's current dim-SIMs are modernised a lot more to allow for tighter surfing, and I predict these mini-simmons/HPS blends will be the next design revolution for the average punter.

Imagine a board that carries more speed, has a faster top speed, and can still be surf tight and aggressively??? It really does bring the glide element of a fish and keep the freedom for hard surfing. I'm pretty excited to see where the designs go. MP, feral dave and daniel thompson seem to be at the forefront of that tangent at the moment.

I'm biting my tongue not to irresponsibily splurge on one of Mark's recent simmons hybrids but I'm patiently waiting for a couple more tests to be done before I jump in. I also can't keep splurging on boards as I have in the past, totally irresponsible :)

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:The traditional version of the mini-simmons is far more of a glide experience than a ball-tearing hi-per surfing experience. Imagine a board that gets up to a stupidly fast planing speed with very little effort from the wave, will seriously beat sections that you will be surprised at, and even speeds up when you turn it. Try to surf top-to-bottom and you'll find it a little slow at times. Its a different style of surfing, to turn you first have to load the tail a little and it takes a second to respond but when it does its a more drawn out turn.

MP's current dim-SIMs are modernised a lot more to allow for tighter surfing, and I predict these mini-simmons/HPS blends will be the next design revolution for the average punter.

Imagine a board that carries more speed, has a faster top speed, and can still be surf tight and aggressively??? It really does bring the glide element of a fish and keep the freedom for hard surfing. I'm pretty excited to see where the designs go. MP, feral dave and daniel thompson seem to be at the forefront of that tangent at the moment.

I'm biting my tongue not to irresponsibily splurge on one of Mark's recent simmons hybrids but I'm patiently waiting for a couple more tests to be done before I jump in. I also can't keep splurging on boards as I have in the past, totally irresponsible :)

Lifes short Captain do it. What else ya spending ya bread on that brings you any joy (libation excluded).

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:40 pm

I rode one of the tomo mphs for a while. A very different beast to my mini simmons. The tomo lived up to all the hype in terms of speed and performance - but man was it under-volumed. Not easy to get a wave on and based on the weight height suggestions it should have been fine. The great mystery of the foil! The PU and glassing was an issue too - felt totally disposable. I would definitely try another variation of the performance sim - and am with Capt in that i like the look of the refined dumpling and the Diverse mph version. I would certainly add some volume and go with new tech if possible. Tomo is in the states now and by the sounds of things - busy, so i can't imagine he'd be around for some time. The Sim really isn't that great for grovell - so i'd be keen to get something that is, but could also work well in the 2-3ft range as well.
The issue is not what to get, but, as always, board space and money :D
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 pm

oh fuck here we go again same old pridmore banter cant anyone have a discussion without that bullshit besides i think daves new tech is far superior to whats being done round here. :idea: blah blah blah fking blah take out an add for christ sake

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:03 pm

Take it easy Huie!
Right from the moment I got my first mini-simmons from Dan McDonald I posted on the Sways mini-simmons thread about how I looked forward to seeing the evolution of this design.
Here we have surfers who own Mark's boards talking about being interested in Mark's latest interpretation of the mini-simmons.
No posts whatsoever from Mark just stoked customers.
I have a dynocore from Dave.
As soon as Dave posted up this board I contacted him about it but in a volume that I was more accustomed to but he reckoned it was going to best at it's current low volume so I left it at that.
I rode the first Dumpling Mark made and gave him my feedback.
He made a great one for himself and is surfing the best I've seen him surf on it.
He's about to shape one for me. I'd love to have one in dynocore tech.
Least ways Mark has seen me surf often enough he can definitely see what I need and we'll see if he delivers.
As far as technology goes why have you made that great looking mini-simmons you posted on Sways in poly rather than compsand?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Take it easy Huie!
Right from the moment I got my first mini-simmons from Dan McDonald I posted on the Sways mini-simmons thread about how I looked forward to seeing the evolution of this design.
Here we have surfers who own Mark's boards talking about being interested in Mark's latest interpretation of the mini-simmons.
No posts whatsoever from Mark just stoked customers.
I have a dynocore from Dave.
As soon as Dave posted up this board I contacted him about it but in a volume that I was more accustomed to but he reckoned it was going to best at it's current low volume so I left it at that.
I rode the first Dumpling Mark made and gave him my feedback.
He made a great one for himself and is surfing the best I've seen him surf on it.
He's about to shape one for me. I'd love to have one in dynocore tech.
Least ways Mark has seen me surf often enough he can definitely see what I need and we'll see if he delivers.
As far as technology goes why have you made that great looking mini-simmons you posted on Sways in poly rather than compsand?

well lets get a few things straight the way you fellas promote yrself is piss week at best
i dont realy want to come on here and talk about design anything and all that comes back is this one eyed promo stuff :roll:

haaaaa'' your asking me why i am posting boards on sways and there poly
thats what you people are doing i hafta follow you after all i am just an old cnut

you challenge me to build that board in compsand how light would you like to see it :idea:
mybe if the i am great got toned down we could all get along
you still havent asked about the duch man :?:

cheers huie

but you are right i need not waste my time here with such shit.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:00 am

Pretty sure i said i wanted to try a diverse mph in the new tech. Anyway....
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 am

Pretty sure I credited feral dave with being at the fore-front of the modern simmons applications too.

I'm allowed to voice my opinions Mr. Huie, and MP doesn't have me on any sort of arrangement if thats what you're alluding to. I was answering the simmons board question from my own experiences with these boards that happened to be shaped by MP.

Its obvious I have a bias towards MP's shapes because rather than shopping around boards from different shapers I prefer to stay with the one shaper and keep really good surfer-shaper communication and open discussion with ongoing designs. I'm sure feral dave is a great shaper too and can make some really mind-blowing and mind-opening boards for people too, I'm not discrediting him at all.

My bias is nothing about financial arrangements or "advertising", its purely because that surfer-shaper relationship is whats important to me. I could go on about how great my boards from Mark have been too, but its not a thread about his boards.

Anyways, back to the Diverse tomo inspiration. I would love to try one of those Diverse MPH's. It sounds like Dave thinks this particular design has to be a low volume version, not sure if I dig that. Whats the feedback on how well it paddles Dave? I know Tomo goes on about the planing hull principles making a low volume board paddle really well but I'm a little skeptical having never tried one.

I really like the look of the Diverse Chopper, thats right up my alley for a modern application of the mini-simmons theory - http://store.diversesurf.com.au/56-x-19 ... surfboard/

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 am

Hi Huie,
A simple question about why you did your latest mini in poly rather than compasand was purely a simple question not any kind of challenge that you've interpreted it as.
Would like to hear about the Dutchman's theories if you have time to tell.
Don't forget I asked to drop in and see you when I was down the GC ages ago as would like to see the boards you build but it didn't suit you.
Still keen to drop in and say hello and meet you and see what you're up to.
The internet isn't real.