Firewire Sweet Potato?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

damo666
regular

Firewire Sweet Potato?

Post by damo666 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm considering getting a Firewire Sweet Potato. Just wondering if anyone here owns one? has ridden one? any feedback?

I recently had a chance to borrow an Dominator (FST one) for a session - my first time on a EPS/expoxy board, and really liked the 'lightness' and the way it rode.

I currently have a little 5'2" Simmons for crappy days which is great, but am looking for something that can cope with just a little wider range than the Simmons - and will also put up with the repeated bashings that only my 8 year old grom can give. I'm thinking that the Sweet Potato will be 'Simmons'esque' on crap days, and maybe slightly more performance oriented in better conditions (?).

Any feedback welcomed!

giba-giga

Re: Firewire Sweet Potato?

Post by giba-giga » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Damo,

Just typed out a response and lost it, :oops:

I am 5"10, 80KG, 40 years young and ride a 5''6 Sweet P.... and LOVE it. The EPS with balsa rails are more durable and probably worth the extra $ if your grom is likely to give it a beating. I have the bamboo deck version which is developing foot wells, I think of it as personal customization lowering my centre of gravity :D Overall the board has held up well though.

Although the board is for small waves, they go surprisingly well in all conditions. When a hps struggles you ll be linking sections all the way to the shore on the Sweet P.....laughing! Because they are so light you can really throw them around, slides, carves, spins and they go vertical off the bottom off the top. I found the larger Future Controller fins work well they give great drive which you need with a tail that big.

Being a quad they are quick off the mark and smoooooth. Did I mention they are fast? They paddle well, I read that epoxy boards give more buoyancy. I have had good surfs in beachies and the local points.

There is a forum on the Firewire website but it is 50 pages of drivel "Should I get a 5 or 5"2?" etc, I recommend having a demo on one if you can.

With Spring around the corner, 5 stars from me :wink:
“If you count your chickens before they've hatched, they won't lay an egg.”

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:22 am

Saw a guy (not that young) catching everything on the shorey at Curly yesterday, a bloke asked " is that a Potato" he replied yep and promptly scooted across the fun little break and pulled a fun tail slide. I've seen him surf before on other stuff he's good but not an unreal surfer but he was ripping on this. I think I want one to.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:37 pm

Theres nothing like a nice wide tail to keep you up above the water going super quick.

A mate of mine home-shaped a board very similar and it absolutely rips. The wide tail helps it plane better and it doesn't loose as much speed through turns because its not digging and sucking into the wave like a tight pulled in tail does. If it has enough rocker to throw it around it makes for some fun surfing in waves without much power.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks guys -

I was mostly sold already, but thats done it for me! My Simmons is on its way north, and my Sweet Potato order was placed this arvo....(dear god, please dont let my wife find the reciept :shock: )

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Enjoy the new board mate and thanks dropping off the simmons cant wait until it arrives

giba-giga

Post by giba-giga » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 pm

I think that these type of boards are so fun because they are stress free to ride......they are fun and easy.

The Sweet P has wicked concaves which helps give it a bit of performance as well.............you won't regret your purchase Damo just do a bit of creative accounting :wink:

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Hmmmm...bugger. The FST ones are on back order from the factory, with delivery mid October.

There are a few of the bamboo deck 'Rapidfire' ones around. A quick google search brings up a few horror stories about the Rapidfire ones underside being soft, and the deck denting really easily...

How bad is yours giba? How long have you had it?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:34 am

All good things come to those who wait.........

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Yep, and I only had to wait one day!

Got a call today, and they have found an FST one in a 5'4". I originally ordered a 5'6', but had 'upsized' the length in the hope it would work better in micro stuff - they seem to be recpmmending 5'4" for guys my size anyway.

I'm sure the 5'4" will be fine, shold be here next week!! :D

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 pm

the guy I spoke to about one said he should have gone shorter.
Not sure how big you are, but he was about 5'10" and 90kgs.
He was on a 5'4"

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:25 pm

A big caveat on what follows; I've never ridden a Sweet Potato. I do own and ride a Firewire Alterantor (conventional thruster) though.

I would have guessed that as mass and volume increase, particularly when coupled with ultra short lengths, the benefits of the parabolic rail (or other flex technology) would reduce. In other words, I'm not theoretically convinced you'd get much additional benefit out of a Sweet Potato in firewire's technology than you would over any other similar Mini_Simmons style board with similar width, rail shape, thickness etc. Maybe Pridmore can jump in if he's reading this on the loss of flex as mass increased and length decreases?

giba-giga

Post by giba-giga » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi Damo

I have had my rapidfire for 4 months and had no problems. The deck has some compressions but nothing major. However, the other type are stronger. Guess I am light footed.

As for flex etc I dont know, all I know is that mine rocks and I dont over think it. :?

GeckoTube
Grommet

Post by GeckoTube » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Apparently the FST construction generally gives a stiiffer feel than the rapidfire???
Maybe the way to go in these short wide models??
Keen to hear how it goes Damo.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Its arrived!! There is something about a new board that brightens even the rainiest, crappiest day.

Its 2" longer, but 1.5" thinner than my sim was - so 'feels' similar in volume under the arm, but also feels much lighter than the PU sim. And even after owning the sim, the tail on this thing looks huge...

I wont be able to get it into the water until next weekend, so will have to wait and see if the punt was worth it.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:04 am

Sweet mate looks the goods.

Had the rake out at the local point in waist high waves during the week - im in love :lol:

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Great to hear Marcus. Addictive, arent they?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:24 am

Its interesting to see how wide this beast is, I checked the website pop-out dimensions.

How do you find the width? Is it easy to dominate and chuck around the wave similar to a regular shortboard, or does it have more of a cruise feel about it?

I'm guessing theres a deep double with vee near the fins too right?

Cheers
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.