The big guy's small wave shredding implement- The Dumpling

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

The big guy's small wave shredding implement- The Dumpling

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Well after becoming totally enamoured with mini-simmons boards and riding mine in all kinds of waves over the summer/autumn period I heard Pridmore was hatching plans for a new shape based on them.
The idea was to make a slightly longer board with the best elements of the mini-simmons which would break the psychological barrier many have on trying the mini-simmons kind of boards.
This barrier is length.
Or lack of it.
The Slater push for shorter has helped somewhat but the slabby outline of the mini-simmons has still presented a hurdle.
Enter the Dumpling.
5'11" (not too short, not too long) X 21 & 1/2" (ok she's getting a bit wide but hang in there) X 2 & 11/16" (not quite 3/4" or is it ? Who cares).
Really a bit under-volumed for my age (48) weight (92 kgs) personal preferences (I like lots of volume) for when it's really small but any waves that had a tiny bit of push and catching waves wasn't too much of a problem.
As the first prototype the following boards will have some more foam as Mark is aiming at the larger guys for a small wave fun machine.
Still retained the simmonesque nose but with nice refined rails and a good curve in the tail.
Was it a single into double?
I just remember the nice double concaves out through the quad fins.
Rode the board for the first time in 1' Bluff at Alex.
Lots of fun doing wake climbs and re-entries behind the drop-in mal riders.
Really good projection off the bottom turns and easy fluid speed down the line.
What really impressed me was how loose off the top this board is.
Again that feeling that is very hard to replicate on a (true) fish shape.
The rest of the time I had the board we were at the mercy of the long South lines combined with no banks.
I still took the Dumpling out and proceeded to enjoy the early entry that it gave me combined with the instant speed out of the gate that quads have.
Pulled into lots of closeouts at speed.
Rode the board with M5 fronts and M3 rears.
If I pushed hard I could slide the tail out on cutbacks and so I'd be using it with larger rears for a bit more bite/hold.
Definitely a great board to try if you're finding small waves are a chore and you want something that's fast, loose, forgiving and easy to ride.
I'm sure Mark's got some pics of it....
Only a rat can win the rat race.

marcus_h
charger

Re: The big guy's small wave shredding implement- The Dumpli

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Sounds good - Cuttles do I know you as obviously the bluff is one of your locals

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Pete, I love my volume as you know, sounds like fun. For me, I could go 5'6 or so, if I had plenty of width (22 or 22 1\2). Though 5'10 is not exactly long ha ha

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:50 am

Marcus, I really only surf the Bluff when it's 3'+. I do like it when it's bigger there but when it's smaller I don't ride longboards all the time so I prefer to ride waves I don't have to share with several others when on shorter boards.
Here's a pic of the Bluff from the Daily from a while back...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That was on my DVS black carbon fibre 8'er.
Had super fun waves at the corner on Monday.
Spend more time at the corner or Sharks through to Seabreeze by far.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Nice review Cuttlefish...I've been keen to hear how the Dumpling went.

I have my fill of small wave boards at the moment, but I'd be keen to check it out if I lost one of 'em.

I was surprised by the thickness - 2 and 11/16. I find 3 is the magic number for me which is a shite load of volume, but it seems to work. Keeping the width and thickness the same between my boards makes it easier to jump between them.

I kind of remember the Sunova guy on sways though talking about width being more important than thickness in float. The thinner board giving the rider more responsiveness when on rail and feel in general.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:29 pm

the guys from Smorgasboarder are gunna review it too...I have been riding it almost exclusively and lovin it, picks up waves with ease and fast right away, it loves a small beachy or soft point wave and makes me enjoy smaller and softer waves more than usual, havin fun in waves I would not normally paddle out in....and tried some new front fins which have made it pivot better and even tighter off the top, so pretty happy bout the fins, coz at 5'11" was bit long for me thru turns, but now feeling much better..... :D

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 pm

I'm overloaded with small wave boards at the moment - but I still want to see a pic of the dumpling!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:06 pm

have a look here mate..... http://www.moresurfboards.com on the BOARDS page... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:32 pm

got a 5'6" x 20 5/8" x 2 3/4" Dumpling Quad on the way...stringerless...might play with carbon and epoxy, not sure just yet...have a stack of diff carbon samples to try if I feel the urge..... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

the Dumpling has evolved

Post by pridmore » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 pm

5'5" x 20 1/2" x 2 3/4", nice Midget foam too, feels really nice, can't wait..... 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:18 pm

What a great looking shape!
The dumpling has evolved and I like it! :D

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:12 pm

long time reader, first post!
Loving the look of the evolved dumpling - particularly the diamond tail. I have one on order 6'0, 21 &1/4, 2&3/4 which as mark knows I am very excited about. We have had weeks of waves in sydney that would be perfect for it, can't wait to have something to make the small mushy days fun again!
Mark will you be shaping mine with the diamond tail or just use the tail from the original dumpling you have on the website?
Looking forward to surfing it and will post up my experience on it after a few surfs :D
Joel

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:27 pm

well, while you are here we shuld discuss it ...because yours is a 6'0" version which is at the longer end of the scale for this style of board, I was thinking a diamond would be better as it'll shorten the rail length and make it easier to do tighter turns.....hows that sound to you mate ? if you want to discuss in further detail, you have my email.... 8)

glad you are signed up and contributing.... 8)

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Yeeeeeww! so glad thats the answer because the diamond tail looks sick. Defintely happy to have that on my board. I'll leave the finer details to you mark as apart from knowing what I like to look at I really don't know much in the way of design and what makes boards go well. Thanks for quick reply!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:43 pm

no worries...it'll be fun and getting into it soon, awaiting blank supply on Tuesday....will send you some pics of the shape to keep you stoked and involved mate.... 8)

one I am selling ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mini-simmons ... 3cbc5b2f0f

pridmore
Owl status

The Dumpling...

Post by pridmore » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Thats a damn fine looking board MP. I'm getting a little obsessed with the whole simmons theory revamped... that board didn't help me get rid of the obsession!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:20 am

After a few waves on the dimsim, which is only 5'2'', even i ( 5'9'' x 85kg ) can get it going. Though if i were to get one, i'd go a dumpling i think. That 5'5'' looks long enough, maybe i'd go wider, 21, but i like wide boards.

That last one looks sweet mate, not sure about the 4 fins, but im a twin fin fan!!