The big guy's small wave shredding implement- The Dumpling

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: The big guy's small wave shredding implement- The Dumpli

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:27 am

Freshiedude wrote:
FYI try the H3 fronts and H3 quad rears, best set up I have used ever!
I'm on it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:24 pm

wow, same name and almost same spray, thats freaky.....my glasser did the spray from Cuttles instructions so its gotta be pure coincidence, and Cuttles came up with the name from his spray idea ....
I have played with the H3 fronts on the original Dumpling and it felt good but the shape has evolved since then, will try them again on my newy ....

the quad sets Cuttles has feel good, they have a little more of that smooth flowing feel to em and a bit less twitchiness , you dont want twitchy on these shorter boards, especially this one with quite lively bottom shape...all depends on the surfer, the size of board, the waves, the bottom contours, the fin placements, fark me, it depends on shitloads.... :roll:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:35 pm

pridmore wrote:all depends on the surfer, the size of board, the waves, the bottom contours, the fin placements, fark me, it depends on shitloads.... :roll:
I know ... the more I read and research the more it does my head in.

Another problem is there has been 2 days where there is nowhere around here with rideable surf for testing.

What were the fin sizes on the quads you sent me with my board, MP?
Kunji wrote:

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:59 pm

What were the chances Mark on the colour and name! I found the image on the Dick Van Straalen Japan site. Have a look for more images. The H3's work well for me, the rears have printed quad on the back but not sure if they are H3 smalls or smaller. Anyway give them another go.

Loving your work lately.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:36 pm

robzig wrote:I'm diggin' the look of The Dumpling Prido. It looks like you really have that shape refined and looking sweet.

I haven't been in my shaping bay for awhile but that has made me fire up the tools.
well, I am stoked that something I have done has got you keen to get back in the bay...I always like your stuff too, I remember your high perf semi-fish twins, what ya gunna shape, something for this sloppy time of the year I am guessing ???

Braithy, they are shapers S5 fronts and S3 rears, they are what I use as the standard for this shape, they feel pretty good and are a happy meiudm type fin, but these days, people like to play around depending on if they want more drive or more manouverability, email me if ya ever wanna chat bout other fin options...but I expect the same if you try some different fins, shoot us ya thoughts and feedback, I like to know as much as I can about this stuff, only helps with future shapes....

- cant believe that wasp coincidence still....and I'll give the H3s another un , only have the thruster set so I'll mix and match with others I know work well already.. I have found that they gave me a touch more response without being twitchy, but twas on a bigger board...

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:47 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Next surf I'm using your S5 fronts. I had been using Am2's in the carbon. To rigid and stiff unless you apply a lotta force on your back foot.

The S5 have a fraction less base and foil shape, so they will be heaps looser I suspect.

Cheers MP!
Kunji wrote:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 pm

yep, give the fins supplied a few sessions mate, thats what most of the testing has been done with.... 8)

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm pumped. The last surf I had on her was incredibly fun. Top to bottom kind of fun.

I used the other fins bcos they handle 1-8 foot on my other boards... But I'm learning quads are a different game.
Kunji wrote:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Justin,
I haven't got even a drop of water on the board yet.
Tomorrow I'll have a look.
Remember this board...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The reason I dubbed it the Wasp was as it says earlier in the thread twas to put some sting back in an old guys surfing (moei) and since it had a diamond tail as opposed to a square cut off like a mini-simmons I thought a wasp colour scheme would be good.
Broad brush strokes of orange with some thin black bands and no taping off around the rails was the brief but ended up with a black border around the rails on the bottom so total co-incidence.
Funnily enough both Dick Van and DMS have cuttlefish models too.
I thought of the username cuttlefish because I'll probably end my days washed up on the beach dried out and still good for Budgie food just like the wayward cuttlefish. :D
I'll run the DVS's in the wasp and am confident they'll work well.
Will also try a set of M5 front GXQ rears (in PC - don't like glassflex) and a set of Stretch templates too.
Braithy, you'll find using rear fins with less rake than the AM2's will loosen the tail up and let the board turn more freely off the top.
Those H3s look good too.
Trial and error to find out what you like best.
Here's a Dumpling up for grabs.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mini-simmons ... 3cbf20b53d
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 am

I've had my first surf on it this morning in clean, bottom of the tide, 1-2'ers.
Did just what it said on the box.
Paddled well around the line up.
Water was at my lowest rib when board was level in the water so not over-foamed for a groveller.
Got onto a plane early to let me pop up and scoot down the line.
Really not a lot of adjustments need to be made.
The fins worked well and top turns were nice and loose.
Don't want to say too much about it until a few more surfs to avoid any new board frothing speak.
But let's say I'm very happy! :D

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Hey Pete,
Wonder what ever happened to that South Coast board. Was a great board, wondering how Southcoast/Flow is doing as you dont see them round as much.
I had to post that when I saw the DVS - too funny and he has the Cuttlefish as well!
Anyway get out on that new board and send some more write ups (PS how is the Dynocore going?)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:11 pm

didnt see you down there this morning mate, was hoping to see you ride the newy to see if our many discussions and emails had been successful...waves would have been almost ideal for her maiden voyage hey ? Was really clean and fun til about 9.00 when that SE 'er got up, but still some ok ones....
You surf up Gerries or Hooters ??? could be a bit bigger tomoz too. :)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Had to hit it for the early as kid's had stuff on for school.
Same again tomorrow.
I was really suprised how good the shape of some of the "sets" were.
Surfed at Seabreeze.
Lefts were better.
Rest assured the Wasp does exactly what it's designed to do.
Re Freshie:
That Southcoast did the craziest out into the flats of a wave and back vertical up the face turns.
Hopefully someone is enjoying it.
I'd like to think Dick has named the Cuttlefish as a model after me but that would be ridiculous and who'd believe it? :roll:
Dynocore is great. It excels in a slightly larger/punchier wave (like 2' +) and so it is my good wave board and the wasp is the Sunny coast dribble buster.
The wasp fits in the quiver where others would use a mini-simmons or fish.
The Dynocore fits in where others would use a 6'1" high performance shortboard.
How's the 8'er and 6'6" going?
Justin - Here's a must read thread for you to read over on Surfer mag's forum:
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... =0&fpart=1
The thread title for those interested is "My wife found a surfboard order form in my pocket".
Essential reading for all married board whores (talking about the husband as the whore here).
:lol: :cry:

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey Pete
That link is great, all my mates (& myself) are all the same as those guys posting.
Only had one surf on both but so far the 8ft full carbon DVS is fantastic & nose rides, almost ordered a 7'6 but glad I got the 8ft now. The 6'6 got a few nice waves on this, found it really loose the the new FCS Ignition 7.25 inch with bamboo & carbon fin. Only thing it needs a bit more volume if the waves are 2ft. Need some more time to work out so keep you posted. I find the new foam Dick is using under the carbon does not seem to have as much float as the old boards.
I see Dave has a nice Dynocore 6'4 2+1 on ebay, thought just up your ally.
Did you get out on the Wasp today? Is it glassed 6+6 on deck as I know you like a strong board? Maybe Mark will do some in epoxy soon?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Mark does do epoxy, just costs more and most seem happy with the PU-PE combo....done a few ( not Dumplings ) in PU with epoxy resin with good results.... 8)

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey Mark,
Do you find the epoxy much more durable and flexes better? Will PU be phased out in say 5 years?