Board report - new Miller V-Skate

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Board report - new Miller V-Skate

Post by buzzy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Ok, so it's not like it's a particularly novel board but I reckon Grant has done something novel within the V-skate shape. Incidentally I'm low 90 kg ish, intermediate I reckon.

So, the board is 6'7"x21.25"x2 7/8". It's super flat rocker for a vskate. I reckon more f skatey. It has a rounded square tail, pretty wide in the tail, more nose width and some concavrvstuff going in. Thruster. I specifically sought out some small waves to use it in so surfed manly pretty much in front of the corso this afternoon. 1-2 foot. No more than shoulder high and not particularly powerful.

In short, the board rocks. With less length, width and volume than the waterskate it replaces it goes faster, and is more manoeverable. I have no bad words at all. Based on one surf I'm calling it a magic board. Great for small days and summer mush.

Just thought I'd share!

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Board report - new Miller V-Skate

Post by Grooter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:39 pm

They're a great board, had mine now for a few years and I still love it. Goes so well at the beachies down my way in anything up to a 2 metre swell. I'll never sell it.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:39 am

buzzy wrote: In short, the board rocks. With less length, width and volume than the waterskate it replaces it goes faster, and is more manoeverable. I have no bad words at all. Based on one surf I'm calling it a magic board. Great for small days and summer mush.
Other than being faster and more maneuverable than the Waterskate, what other differences could you notice between the V-Skate and the Waterskate? I have a 6'6" Waterskate on order at the moment as my transition board from a beginner's mini-mal.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:16 am

The V-Skate is a tad more precise and accelerates more quickly. It whips through turns a tad more. That's the main difference.

For what you describe the Waterskate will be ideal for you. I was out of the water for around 3 years in all with a succession of medical problems, and came back to the water overweight and unfit. I first got a Powerglide (a mini-mal type board) which got me back in the water. After maybe 6-9 months I then got a Waterskate, which allowed me to reduce my length and do more aggressive turns but still provided me with paddling assistance and a stable platform. I've surfed that for a bit over a tear and now went to the V-Skate. This whole process has been 2 years in the making, having surfed at a fairly competent level since I was 14. The Waterskate is a fantastic board - category defining in all honesty - and sounds perfect for you.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Buzzy, do you find the paddle efficiency much different between the Waterskate and the V-skate? (how big was your waterskate?)

I currently have a 6'8" waterskate, which with me being 2 hours from the nearest surf and only managing to get wet once a month or so, I have found to be brilliant mix of ease of paddling but feels like a much smaller board when up and running.

I've also got a 6'6" v-skate on order with Grant at the moment (6'6" x 20 3/4 x 2 3/4), just to try and regain a little more speed & performance.

I was wondering how much paddle power I am going to miss between the two? Will I notice it much?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Hoi....Buzzy....we don't need no steenkin v-skate reviews ya pillock!
The last orders for Grant to shape any new boards was the 16th of April.
As if ya didn't know!
Nasty bit of work you are!
Oh, the pain..... :lol:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Cuttlefish I think this is where I insert the evil laugh. Bwahahahaharrrrr...Unintentional though. Grant by the way seemed adamant that he planned to be back in 2012, so he'll be back.

damo, there's a bit of difference in paddle between the two boards, but not enormous. The Waterskate paddles a bit easier and higher in the water but the main difference is in paddling around the lineup, not into waves. The latter is more important and I don't notice a huge difference.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks for the info, buzzy. I was going to stick to my epoxy Dart mini mal (*) for a while longer until I found out that Grant was shutting up shop for quite a while so I decided to put an order in before he left. I sent an email to Grant saying what I could and could not do surfwise (the latter being much more than the former!) and said that I was interested in getting a Waterskate. He rang me up, asked me a lot of questions and we chatted on the phone for close to half an hour and he said that a Waterskate would be the board that suited me best. Grant was a pleasure to deal with and was not patronising at all given my relative inexperience / lack of skill in the water.

Though unlike you, I am a late beginner having started in my early 30s. And from my experience and what others have described here, my local (mid to south Maroubra) doesn't have the most beginner friendly beach breaks. I think the right terms are "sucky and hollow". I found I was catching waves much easier on breaks in the Bukit Peninsular in Bali.

(*) and from this forum, apparently there is a Brazilian who surfs a Dart mini mal quite well in North Maroubra so I know that the equipment isn't the issue here. While I am eagerly looking forward to the arrival of my new board in May, I have to remind myself that it isn't a magic bullet that will solve all of my problems.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:35 pm

I've had 3 customs from Grant (v-skate, powerglide, egg) and one 2nd hand f-skate so I love Grant's boards.
Shame freight adds a fair chunk of change to a board order for me.
I'm just waiting on a new Dick Van Straalen custom carbon board atm so no funds for anything else. 8)
Only a rat can win the rat race.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

I still love my 6'8 Waterskate.
I had a powerglide once and wasn't a big fan at all.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 am

After purchasing the wrong board a long time a go I went and spoke to Grant and ordered a 6'6" v-skate.

It has served its purpose well, its now 8 years old, it has coped a hiding that only a clumsy beginner can dish up.

I don't really ride it anymore, but I won't sell it, coz I may need it at some time. Its so well made, I chucked in some better fins and its great.

Grant is great to deal with, really takes the time to unnerstand what you need, never made me feel like a dork (I do that well enuff meself).

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Picked up my new v-skate from Grant on Saturday.
Grant mentioned he only has 12 more boards to shape before he is off travelling - I hope you got your orders in!

David

Post by David » Mon May 23, 2011 10:46 am

I didnt realise just how popular Grants boards are.

I had a V skate a few years ago, when i ordered it, went against Grants advice and ordered it a little longer than he suggested.
Since then i traded the V skate for an F skate which has to be the best board i have ever ridden. Paddle power is just amazing and for small average waves it is fantastic.

Tomorrow i am going to pickup another V skate. Planning a trip to the Mentawais in August so Grant has made a board for the bigger days.
This time took all his advise with dimensions. Cant wait to pick it up and get it wet.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Mon May 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Grant shapes great boards, I own an F-Skate, and it's one of my magic boards.

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Just got a second hand 6'3" V-skate from Grant a few weeks ago. I was a bit worried that it'd be too small, but it seems pretty perfect.

StayPuft

Post by StayPuft » Sat May 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Nice, Damo. What are the dimensions?

I was hoping to buy that 6'3" V-skate, Betty, but Grant told me it had gone already. Looks like it was you that beat me to it. :evil: :lol:

No matter. Grant, being the nice bloke that everyone says he is, told me he could squeeze in another custom before he left. I hadn't planned to spend $700+, but succumbed to the temptation to get a board with dimensions to suit me perfectly and with Grant's advice. So mine must be one of those last 12. :mrgreen:

I can't wait. It's gonna be a 6'4" x 20 x 2 9/16 rounded square tail - my second board after deciding to take the step from surfing borrowed/rented minimals a couple of times a year while on hols to making surfing my regular escape. My current board is a 6'6" Powerglide which has been good for learning, but I sort of struggle to turn it (though that could just be my lack of ability). So I'm hoping that the V-skate will be a good next board for me, albeit a challenging reduction in size at first.

Petulance - I surf at Maroubra a bit too and, as a beginner, I've also found it pretty steep. So how's the Waterskate going?

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 pm

I've had five off Grant now and they've all been good. The overall quality and glassing is really good.Latest is a quad egg with a finbox to ride as a single.
Good guy to deal with as well.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:47 am

StayPuft wrote: Petulance - I surf at Maroubra a bit too and, as a beginner, I've also found it pretty steep. So how's the Waterskate going?
Hey StayPuft, I have only had one surf on the Waterskate so far and it was good. I'm afraid I can't say more than that because I catch anything last week (windswept) and this week (way too big and messy). It is 8 inches shorter than my old board but I managed to catch a few waves when I took it out to Greenhills.

Caught the first wave I paddled for, stood up, did a forehand bottom turn but I dug my rail too deep into the wave and proceeded to fall off my board. Good fun nonetheless. I'm still getting used to the positioning on the board. Even though it has the same width as my old mini-mal, it definitely feels twitchier when paddling out.

I have been going out to Wanda / Greenhills at Cronulla over the last few weeks. Because Cronulla is a bigger beach than Maroubra, you'll are likely to get an uncrowded break out there. And from the time I was there, I found the breaks to be less hollow / steep than Maroubra.