Experiences with LB fins, hatchet, axe, fatboy etc??

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Experiences with LB fins, hatchet, axe, fatboy etc??

Post by Beerfan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Hey guys, can anyone give me the run down on the different types of longboard fins? I have an 8'' dolphin, but im planning to get a new one soon. Looking for a super drivy fin, not too keen on whipping it up under the lip ( even though i couldn't do it anyway haha ), just hard drivy drawn out turns, and stability up the front of the board.

The fatboy looks sweet, so does the hatchet/axe.

Cheers

It's for a modern lb, in the "Where's the mal thread" if you want to see pics.

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Experiences with LB fins, hatchet, axe, fatboy etc??

Post by WANDERER » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Dion do a dolphin in a 9" with a wider base, had one on the Magic Wand Model MkII and it went awesome, especially in regards to what you are looking for...

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Check out the Greenoughs----email MC at Byron Bay......www.mcsurf.com.au... :)

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:26 pm

Spitfire fins rule, here's a 10 inch version

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipe ... ox_22.html

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Rule what ?

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 am

mr beerfan, in my experience wich i might add is considerable, considering the considerations if you are riding a log then maybe the standard rule of thumb could be 1" of fin for every foot of board? i ride mals competetively and find that o'fishl cut away works in most conditions. when the swell is on the smaller side throw in some fcs gl's or something similar to get some drive in the smaller stuff hope that is worth considering

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 am

kayu wrote:Check out the Greenoughs----email MC at Byron Bay......www.mcsurf.com.au... :)
the greenough fins are nice - i have a 7" and 8" (plus a fully raked 12" from the early 70s). no idea how they'd go in your mal, though.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:39 am

bigwayne wrote:i ride mals competetively and find that o'fishl cut away works in most conditions. when the swell is on the smaller side throw in some fcs gl's or something similar to get some drive in the smaller stuff hope that is worth considering
i have o'fishl sidebites in a board, they are never coming out. not because i particularly like them, but because they are deadset impossible to remove.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Try a 9" grinder..........( as in grinder for grinding......not grinder as in fin)
Last edited by kayu on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:31 am

bigwayne wrote:mr beerfan, in my experience wich i might add is considerable, considering the considerations if you are riding a log then maybe the standard rule of thumb could be 1" of fin for every foot of board? i ride mals competetively and find that o'fishl cut away works in most conditions. when the swell is on the smaller side throw in some fcs gl's or something similar to get some drive in the smaller stuff hope that is worth considering
Thanks mate, i moved the 8'' dolphin back in the box, and am really happy with how it is going so far. I really need to buy a board bag before a fin, im sick of being super cautious in the garage haha. After i get one i'll look out for a 9''er. New to longboards and im absolutely loving it!

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:56 pm

mr beerfan, moving the fin back " tightens" up the board making the big girl harder to turn, but by moving said fin right foward is going to "loosen" up the big girl somewhat, read a little more easy to turn, so maybe carry a screwdriver with you so if the board is not performing for you ,get the screwy and moove that dolphin around some, see major crises averted!!!! and all will be good again in bigwaynes wonderful world and one can sleep better at night in the knowledge that one has given a novice to the big board riding fraternity some golden information that will see your surfing improve exponentially and could even result in some sponno? so there you go mr beerfan no-one can accuse one the lack of concinnity that is required of longbard royalty! this was bought to you by HRH bigwayne longboard legend , shortboard dynamo and all round nice guy

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 am

Oh NO!

Bigwayne, you're lost. You've somehow ended up on THE REAL surf website instead of that swellhead (sorry, net) site where you cut your teeth.

But welcome anyway. Some of your meanderings are entertaining. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:36 pm

mr G , could one be forgiven for thinking that you are the same character that a comic genius who shall remain nameless, has imortalised in an ABC mockumenatry "summer heights high"? . as you are well aware of ones lofty positions in the surfing world read massive ego one will have to decline your welcome just to spite oneself( one thinks that one should be loved and admired for it, not just welcomed!)

the cutting of ones teeth is of no concern to your goodself mr G, only one has the supreme capability on all sorts of surfcraft , thus making ones very apearance on this site a fair dinkum front page spread for the sunday telegraph.

now not that one like the sound of ones own voice or anything, but , big cutties, big floaters, even bigger bottom turn all adds up to HRH bigwayne need ones ratiocination ever be questioned? nor should my ability prolix.

this was bought to you by the rakish, and undeniable all round ladies man HRH bigwayne

oh by the way mr G why could your punters not find out in their own way who what why when for themselves like the other "fun police"? dont you like any one rocking your little boat littleman?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:57 pm

bigwayne wrote:
this was bought to you by the rakish, and undeniable all round ladies man HRH bigwayne

oh by the way mr G why could your punters not find out in their own way who what why when for themselves like the other "fun police"? dont you like any one rocking your little boat littleman?
No need to give them the heads up BW. They're smart enough to work it out for themselves. And most of them have been over there, too. And like me, plenty of them were there long before your belated appearance.
Rocking the boat (Don's boat) is allowed. But not to the same level as over there. However, your posts on that "swell" site are merely amusing, not abusive. Well actually, more sad than amusing. :roll: :wink:

And it's "Mr T" to you. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 am

mr G what can one say to that? you have made yourself abundantly clear that you will weild your inconsiderable weight to make sure that dons little boat dosent take on any water! like the lap dog you seem to be . holding such a lofty position must be very important to you because of the abillity you have to censor dont let this percieved power go to you head ( it seems that you are already headed in that direction) is your job to moderate or stand like a surly bouncer at the door of a seedy nightclub and tell everyone how important you are? thats if the rumblings over at SWELLNET are to be believed ! now i know the culture over here is, lets say toxic, so is this the reason that people who want to post on SWELLNET are from here originally and use different monikers through feeling that they will be dumped by your goodself ? why can one not speak ones mind if one feels the need (not withstanding abuse)? all these questions one has that one suspects will not be answered because of the removal of threads read censorship. once censorship starts its very hard to keep it at an "acceptable" level mr G ! and to that end it matters not the amount of posts that you have mr G it will always fall to common sense ,do you have that mr G ? lets hope so . untill you can explain the reason that you have for this censorship and removal of threads i will have to assume (and i know what assuming does) that you are a little man who percieves he has a big stick to weild and that gives you permission to exist in cyberspace one on the other hand does not just exist in cyberspace!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:14 am

Hey beerf, how they hangin’?

Tangent… (without any knowledge of what you are riding) at some point in time try a 6-7" cutaway with larger side fins. Generally works well.

Hate the feeling of a longboard fin too far forward, loose alright but minimal drive.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:47 pm

bigwayne wrote:mr G what can one say to that? you have made yourself abundantly clear that you will weild your inconsiderable weight to make sure that dons little boat dosent take on any water! like the lap dog you seem to be . holding such a lofty position must be very important to you because of the abillity you have to censor dont let this percieved power go to you head ( it seems that you are already headed in that direction) is your job to moderate or stand like a surly bouncer at the door of a seedy nightclub and tell everyone how important you are? thats if the rumblings over at SWELLNET are to be believed ! now i know the culture over here is, lets say toxic, so is this the reason that people who want to post on SWELLNET are from here originally and use different monikers through feeling that they will be dumped by your goodself ? why can one not speak ones mind if one feels the need (not withstanding abuse)? all these questions one has that one suspects will not be answered because of the removal of threads read censorship. once censorship starts its very hard to keep it at an "acceptable" level mr G ! and to that end it matters not the amount of posts that you have mr G it will always fall to common sense ,do you have that mr G ? lets hope so . untill you can explain the reason that you have for this censorship and removal of threads i will have to assume (and i know what assuming does) that you are a little man who percieves he has a big stick to weild and that gives you permission to exist in cyberspace one on the other hand does not just exist in cyberspace!
Bigwayne, I've explained my position and that of this forum previously. All on record if you care to look.
I have split threads to maintain important topics. We've already resolved that issue.
I've censored words, and comments which are overly derogatory and will continue to do so. I don't censor for people expressing their opinions however forcefully. Using your post as an example, you have expressed your opinion. It is shared by others on here. But you haven't gone over the top with personal criticism nor abusive language. So your post is a good example of what is acceptable here.

Carry on. TBH I sort of like your style. :oops:

Oh. And if you look closely, you'll see that the postings on this forum have increased in the number of posters and in the extent of the participation in most of the topics. Except of course, the bodyboard section, but I've done about all I can do to resurrect that after some seriously unnecessary shit in the past. There were several members who were banned from that topic (not by me) because of the disruption they supposedly caused. All are now free to post there.
All I ask is that posters everywhere have some consideration for the feelings of others. If that's old fashioned of me, too bad.
Beanpole

Skipper

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:55 pm

bigwayne wrote:mr G what can one say to that? you have made yourself abundantly clear that you will weild your inconsiderable weight to make sure that dons little boat dosent take on any water! like the lap dog you seem to be . holding such a lofty position must be very important to you because of the abillity you have to censor dont let this percieved power go to you head ( it seems that you are already headed in that direction) is your job to moderate or stand like a surly bouncer at the door of a seedy nightclub and tell everyone how important you are? thats if the rumblings over at SWELLNET are to be believed ! now i know the culture over here is, lets say toxic, so is this the reason that people who want to post on SWELLNET are from here originally and use different monikers through feeling that they will be dumped by your goodself ? why can one not speak ones mind if one feels the need (not withstanding abuse)? all these questions one has that one suspects will not be answered because of the removal of threads read censorship. once censorship starts its very hard to keep it at an "acceptable" level mr G ! and to that end it matters not the amount of posts that you have mr G it will always fall to common sense ,do you have that mr G ? lets hope so . untill you can explain the reason that you have for this censorship and removal of threads i will have to assume (and i know what assuming does) that you are a little man who percieves he has a big stick to weild and that gives you permission to exist in cyberspace one on the other hand does not just exist in cyberspace!
There's some pretty harsh and might I add unfounded accusations in amongst that dribble big wayne;
abundantly clear
As he should, this is Don's house, the rules are clear, fair and reasonable and I think Trev is providing more than enough leeway to anyone who cares to test the boundaries.
lap dog
LoL - Trev aint no ones bitch, just a well adjusted gent who's decided to take on some responsibility when others wish to cast it aside and act like selfish arseholes.
lofty position
Ha - a thankless role, taken on by someone whose concerns extend further than their own and in such a role that he may cop some unwarranted flack.
it seems that you are already headed in that direction
evidence would help here but I'm guessing this is an opinion that's based on hearsay rather than fact, facts are stubborn things.
moderate or stand like a surly bouncer at the door of a seedy nightclub and tell everyone how important you are?
evidence/facts - still stubborn are they?? just another "ZOMG!!!!1!!!1!! stop the censorship!!!11!! / Trev is a nazi" bandwagoner?? I'm tipping you formulated your attacks in complete abscence of any supporting material...
thats if the rumblings over at SWELLNET are to be believed !
whoop - there it is, some whiney little mongs have got hold of your rather sloppy ear, see this is where facts and evidence would have been handy.
why can one not speak ones mind if one feels the need (not withstanding abuse)? all these questions one has that one suspects will not be answered because of the removal of threads read censorship. once censorship starts its very hard to keep it at an "acceptable" level mr G ! and to that end it matters not the amount of posts that you have mr G it will always fall to common sense ,do you have that mr G ? lets hope so . untill you can explain the reason that you have for this censorship and removal of threads i will have to assume (and i know what assuming does) that you are a little man who percieves he has a big stick to weild and that gives you permission to exist in cyberspace one on the other hand does not just exist in cyberspace!
blah blah blah and all the rest of that garbage: translation = I could have been a smart man as I have purported to be, however I have decided to base my opinions and views on the angles and agendas of the feeble minded selfish scum bags that I have allowed to take residence where my own analysis and reasoning is supposed to be...

You're well and truly barking up the wrong tree bigwayne, had you at least a minimal level of self respect you may have considered searching out the truth, sadly your laziness is here for all to see in your ridiculous accusations based on speculation and second hand self centred agendas.