Where's the mal thread?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Where's the mal thread?

Post by Spoon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Where would you reccomend to go for mals and tropics for a 50th birthday trip with mates and wives. Resorts prefered. Any suggestions as we are looking at Kandooma.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Spoon wrote:Where would you reccomend to go for mals and tropics for a 50th birthday trip with mates and wives. Resorts prefered. Any suggestions as we are looking at Kandooma.
DonW will be back soon. He goes overseas regularly and just spent a couple of weeks at............
Maybe send him a pm
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Got some nice head high waves this morning on the 9'1''. Fark it went well, moved the fin back and felt more drive, although obviously with a decent wave with push behind it it'll make a difference too. Love it!

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Beerfan wrote:Got some nice head high waves this morning on the 9'1''. Fark it went well, moved the fin back and felt more drive, although obviously with a decent wave with push behind it it'll make a difference too. Love it!
I've just invented a new way of measuring on head not foot.
Overhead is really easy to understand, a foot/ feet are irrelevant and have been since we went metric.
So give head a go :!:
Seriously feet give me the TomToms now :!:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:13 pm

otway1949 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Got some nice head high waves this morning on the 9'1''. Fark it went well, moved the fin back and felt more drive, although obviously with a decent wave with push behind it it'll make a difference too. Love it!
I've just invented a new way of measuring on head not foot.
Overhead is really easy to understand, a foot/ feet are irrelevant and have been since we went metric.
So give head a go :!:
Seriously feet give me the TomToms now :!:
^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am a short asre and when I tell a mate that it was head high he laughs - he is at least half a foot taller so my head high is his shoulder high...
What are we gonna base this one on?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Quangers wrote: I am a short asre and when I tell a mate that it was head high he laughs - he is at least half a foot taller so my head high is his shoulder high...
What are we gonna base this one on?
It's all relative isn't it :!:
It was head high :!:
So if you're vertically challenged, it is still head high :!:
The shorter you are the more overhead surfs you get :!: :!: :!: :wink:

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:28 pm

I like that... Geez I must get heaps more good days than the average punter!

r.pearson

Post by r.pearson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 pm

don't know where else to post this, so i'll put it here.

i'm looking for an upgrade, currently have a t&c tommy tanaka, dimensions are 9'0 x 22 1/2 x 3 1/16. looking for something a little bit wider and longer. my height is 6ft & i'm 205 pounds (about 92 or 93 kilos for you aussies). any suggestions. no budget, by the way.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:56 pm

r.pearson wrote:don't know where else to post this, so i'll put it here.

i'm looking for an upgrade, currently have a t&c tommy tanaka, dimensions are 9'0 x 22 1/2 x 3 1/16. looking for something a little bit wider and longer. my height is 6ft & i'm 205 pounds (about 92 or 93 kilos for you aussies). any suggestions. no budget, by the way.
That doesn't give us much idea of what type of board or put another way, what you want the board to do?...
So, what do you want the board to do?
Where do you surf most/in what type of surf do you surf most?
What sort of skill level are you at?
oh yeah, and a bit beside the point, but where are you from??

r.pearson

Post by r.pearson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:18 pm

sorry was in a rush and wasn't thinking. i'm originally from new palm bay in florida. over here in australia for work, on the gold coast. pretty competent, been surfing for over 30 years. will be looking for a board to surf anything between the points on anything 6-7 feet (over head high i guess) to small beach break mushburgers. no i am not interested in a mini mal or a thruster. mainly looking for a local manufacturer.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:27 pm

r.pearson wrote:sorry was in a rush and wasn't thinking. i'm originally from new palm bay in florida. over here in australia for work, on the gold coast. pretty competent, been surfing for over 30 years. will be looking for a board to surf anything between the points on anything 6-7 feet (over head high i guess) to small beach break mushburgers. no i am not interested in a mini mal or a thruster. mainly looking for a local manufacturer.
Goldy huh, bigger waves, I'm gonna suggest "Rooster"... I think he's up there somewhere, he used to make Bonga Perkins models, makes a pretty good balanced board that tends towards the high performance end of the spectrum.

Florida hey, didn't get to see as much of Florida as I had liked to, anyway you must be stoked at the moment earning AUD?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 pm

rooster/legend point longboards down the page a fair way:
http://www.gumbylock.com.au/Aussie/html ... -Shap.html

r.pearson

Post by r.pearson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:00 pm

thanks really appreciate it! been here for a few months, got over a year til i go back. need something a bit more high performance considering the conditions over here alot different back home & have put on a few pounds. yes it is good earning aus $. work pays for all expenses, so i'm able to save a bit & spend the rest on beer.. the main reason i've put on weight i guess :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 pm

alternatively, not far away from the goldie on the north side of Byron Bay is an industrial area with quite a few high profile shapers/showrooms, some of whom do licenced replications of some of the USA brands like HPD.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Well, after 2 surfs in decent shaped head high + waves im f*cken sold, it rocks!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 pm

I need a new log :cry:
Though now that I'm finally re-employed it shuldn't be that far away! :D

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Another Magic Wand :?: Ric should be back soon :D

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:48 pm

otway1949 wrote:Another Magic Wand :?: Ric should be back soon :D
yes, where's he been?