Where's the mal thread?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where's the mal thread?

Post by RickyG » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 am

^^I'm pretty much in the same boat Wands! I've had the discussion (ie argument :roll: ) with the missus and now have tacit approval to roll some of the excess redundancy payment into a new board. Might go back to Jacksons to at least get some sort of trade-in, but a RicV custom is pretty tempting too.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:40 pm

r.pearson wrote:don't know where else to post this, so i'll put it here.

i'm looking for an upgrade, currently have a t&c tommy tanaka, dimensions are 9'0 x 22 1/2 x 3 1/16. looking for something a little bit wider and longer. my height is 6ft & i'm 205 pounds (about 92 or 93 kilos for you aussies). any suggestions. no budget, by the way.
Wayne Deane----South Tweed Heads--- :)

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm enjoyed my Outer Island Indo mal in the Mentawais and the love affair continues at all bar levels. :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Steve Del Rosso knows his longboards...I been shaping a few lately too, plannin on doin myself one real soon.....

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:36 pm

otway1949 wrote:I'm enjoyed my Outer Island Indo mal in the Mentawais and the love affair continues at all bar levels. :D
Hows it go duck diving?
They look real nice as do a few of his other larger models.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Beanpole wrote:
otway1949 wrote:I'm enjoyed my Outer Island Indo mal in the Mentawais and the love affair continues at all bar levels. :D
Hows it go duck diving?
They look real nice as do a few of his other larger models.
Alas there is a tale I can duck dive my 9fter but it is not a sight of beauty and not always successful. my eskis however are highly effective as I graduated in the mal school long before leg ropes.
I have a severe grip when I have to, but I can and did duck dive in the Mentawaiis as a body hanging below a board over a shallow coral reef is not recommended. :roll:
I do the required whatever, of necessity.
Great boards, BTW I have the V2 model rounded pin at 9' 3" single concave to a shaped venturii twin concave with a centre V for the centre fin.
Very happy :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 am

Hey all,

I've been riding a log for about 12 months now on the small clean days from 1 to 2ft and really loving it.

Now I want to get a slightly shorter Mal - a nose rider and was wondering which Log would be recommended.

Currently riding a Walden Hang Glider - 9'6 x 22 1/2 x 3 1/4. It rides well but it feels like it has too much tail rocker. I'm looking for a single fin nose rider and thinking - 9'0 x 23 x 3.

Any suggestions would be great. I would like to support a local Northern Beaches shaper. Sean Wilde is the guy I'm thinking of approaching.

Thanks.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 pm

I got Grant Miller to make me an 8'6" board a couple of years ago

Been really happy with it, flat rocker, and a decent amount of volume so it goes like the clappers, both paddling and when I'm up. It's got plugs to make a tri-fin but I've kept it a single as I like the glide and the smooth turns it gives.

Being a bit shorter means it's really easy to turn too.

Was seriously considering an Island Performance Mal before speaking to Grant but decided I would as he made me such a good V-Skate.

No new boards for me for a while now that I've got another mouth to feed :)
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 pm

BDL77 wrote:Hey all,

I've been riding a log for about 12 months now on the small clean days from 1 to 2ft and really loving it.

Now I want to get a slightly shorter Mal - a nose rider and was wondering which Log would be recommended.

Currently riding a Walden Hang Glider - 9'6 x 22 1/2 x 3 1/4. It rides well but it feels like it has too much tail rocker. I'm looking for a single fin nose rider and thinking - 9'0 x 23 x 3.

Any suggestions would be great. I would like to support a local Northern Beaches shaper. Sean Wilde is the guy I'm thinking of approaching.

Thanks.
I doubt you could go wrong with Wilde (apparently a bit of a wait time but that's no biggie). Bennett's have a farly new Isaac Fields traditional mal that looks great; probably costs a bit though. Pure Surfboards at Cromer would be worth a shot too.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks. I'll see how long Wilde will take and then might speak to Grant Miller.
- Gerry Lopez

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 am

pridmore wrote:Steve Del Rosso knows his longboards...I been shaping a few lately too, plannin on doin myself one real soon.....
Make yourself a 9'6" 2 7/8" 23" glassed in big single fin log with no rocker, slight tail kick and nice deep concave under nose...you know you wanna!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:32 pm

nice looking board hatchy :!:

do you consider u surf more off your front foot or back

did u choose the tail shape..u like it>?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:16 am

BDL77 wrote:Thanks. I'll see how long Wilde will take and then might speak to Grant Miller.
Good luck talking to Grant, he’s left the building... gone for a year I think, check his website. You might see some of his stock boards floatin’ around, know there is a couple at Bennetts, though they aren’t that long if memory serves.

I’m with RickyG, Rich at Pure* is more than capable and has produced quite a few of late under the Soul Surf label. If you want an endorsement talk to some of the Reef Riders crew. He will probably be cheaper than most other recognised ‘mal’ shapers on the beaches.

*Not a vested interest but have worked out of the Pure factory for some time and will continue to chip out the odd board, just given up doing stinking repairs.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:12 am

Awesome thanks Ric. I'll speak to Rich at Pure to see what he's got and some ideas.
- Gerry Lopez

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:32 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:nice looking board hatchy :!:

do you consider u surf more off your front foot or back

did u choose the tail shape..u like it>?
More off the front foot mate, Grant recommended the tail shape to me, I'm not well-versed in board design but all my other boards have squared off tails and they work well for me.

It's made for fat, spilling waves, up to about 1.5 metre swells. Goes a treat in these conditions, quite quick and glides and turns beautifully. Grant gave me a Dion fin for it and I quite like it, has a nice smooth release on the turns.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:26 am

Haven't surfed the mal since getting my jd fish. First thing I noticed was the weight, compared to a short vac bagged board, its heavy!!. Got some nice head high waves on it, but I think I might put it on evilbay, just so used to the light weight boards. Wouldn't mind a light weight midlength, think it could work in tiny waves, but not be too long to get in the way in overhead.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:24 am

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 am

Beerfan wrote:Haven't surfed the mal since getting my jd fish. First thing I noticed was the weight, compared to a short vac bagged board, its heavy!!. Got some nice head high waves on it, but I think I might put it on evilbay, just so used to the light weight boards. Wouldn't mind a light weight midlength, think it could work in tiny waves, but not be too long to get in the way in overhead.

I retract this thread. Last few surfs have been in excellent longboard waves, and I have had a ball on the 9'1". Under head high and fat/weak, or really small- 9'1", head high and under hollow/fast breaking-jd keel fish. Summer is sorted!!