review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Moore
regular

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by Moore » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:32 am

Zot's arriving tomorrow >><<

Shame the surf isn't..... :cry:

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 am

Moore wrote:Zot's arriving tomorrow >><<

Shame the surf isn't..... :cry:
Share your stoke Moore! How is ya zot?
Any initial ride reports? Post some pics & Spill the beans!
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Wish I could tell ya how it goes, but we are under the influence of the 'Azores High' here in northern Europe - a weather pattern that comes round every several years that means the temps rise and the Atlantic goes to sleep.... Everyone loves it as it's 27-28deg C every day, but it is F-L-A-T as a Witch's Tit.....

Will post some pics later

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 am

Ring any bells......

http://vimeo.com/24858779

nawgy1979

Post by nawgy1979 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:37 am

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:15 pm

So, I was actually going to sell the 5'10 zot that I recently picked up as I couldn't really afford to buy it in the first place, but I've subsequently given in to temptation and rode it for half an hour in some waisthigh beachbreak summertime mush....

That McCoy smoothness is there, for sure, and it rolls into waves like a knob of butter onto a hot skillet. It doesn't have the squirt that you have from a concave board, but it feels exceptionally free from any set line and while you wait for a section to steepen up in front of you so you can lay into a turn (which it needs), it's happy to sit in the pocket and let all that foam support you. It is significantly less hard work to keep going than my old 6ft single nug in similar conditions, but it's also a lot wider...

It's a relaxed, cruisy kind of feel, interspersed with the ability to hook into tight loops. It's a fun board, and what more do most people really want?

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking to shape myself a McCoy 'tribute' out of an old blank that has been sitting here for a while - it is going to be a a 7'2" single fin Nugget.

Does anyone know how much tail rocker the Nuggets use? (or would anyone have a moment to run a ruler over their board?).

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:07 am

damo666 wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking to shape myself a McCoy 'tribute' out of an old blank that has been sitting here for a while - it is going to be a a 7'2" single fin Nugget.

Does anyone know how much tail rocker the Nuggets use? (or would anyone have a moment to run a ruler over their board?).
I have a 7'2'' Thruster Nugget, my first ever McCoy, shaped 1998, it's magic.

How should I measure the tail rocker for you?

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:25 am

Mr Mik, Thanks for the offer.

Measuring the rocker is a little bit of a process. You will need a ruler/tape measure and a long straight edge (ie. a piece of wood or dowel? a fishing rod? etc). Process as follows:

1) Find the mid-point of the board (at 3'7" on your 7''2");
2) Place your straight edge and press down on it at this point;
3) Measure the gap between the tail & the straight edge, this is the rocker measurement. Can I please ask you to also take the measurement 12" (1 foot) up from the tail?

Attached is a quick Youtube showing this process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Bc9mSECZg

Cheers!
Damo

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 am

damo666 wrote:Mr Mik, Thanks for the offer.

Measuring the rocker is a little bit of a process. You will need a ruler/tape measure and a long straight edge (ie. a piece of wood or dowel? a fishing rod? etc). Process as follows:

1) Find the mid-point of the board (at 3'7" on your 7''2");
2) Place your straight edge and press down on it at this point;
3) Measure the gap between the tail & the straight edge, this is the rocker measurement. Can I please ask you to also take the measurement 12" (1 foot) up from the tail?

Attached is a quick Youtube showing this process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Bc9mSECZg

Cheers!
Damo
The best measurements I can make with a straight edge and ruler are 47mm tail rocker from the centre point (1115mm) and 6mm from the 1ft point at the tail.

However, this board is 7' + 3.5'' long when measured along the bottom rocker curve, and 7' + 2.5'' in a straight line from nose to the line perpendicular to the bottom curve at the tail edge.

The board is labelled 7'2'' x 21+1/2'' x 3+1/8'' and does not have a "FOR" on the bottom. I therefore assume that is is a standard 1998 Nugget, not a custom. I bought it slightly used from the McCoy showroom in Byron Bay.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Cheers Mr Mik - legend!

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 am

Damo, my 8/1 has 58mm at tail and 37mm at 12inches from tail.....if that's any help

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 pm

surfywurfy wrote:Damo, my 8/1 has 58mm at tail and 37mm at 12inches from tail.....if that's any help
Now I'm wondering if I've measure the 1ft from tail rocker the way you want it...

Are you after the rocker in the last 1ft of the tail, or the rocker in the section between midpoint and 1ft point?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:50 pm

DB 9/1 is 85@t tail and 47@t the 12inch mark....I find the bigger board looser due to the kicked up tail :-)(

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:58 am

surfywurfy wrote:DB 9/1 is 85@t tail and 47@t the 12inch mark....I find the bigger board looser due to the kicked up tail :-)(
OK, that is not how I measured the tail rocker in the 7'2'' Nugget. I used Surfywurfy's method to measure my 9'1'' DB, results are 82mm and 44mm. So now I know how others measure the tail rocker.

For the Nugget, I measured by placing the straight edge tangential onto the mid-point of the board and then measured the distance between tail and straight edge (= 47mm).
Then I placed the straight edge tangential onto the 1ft point and measured the distance between straight edge and tail (=6mm). Better don't use those numbers, or it will end up looking like a skateboard :D .

When I use the same technique for the 9'1'' DB, the results are 82mm and 10mm.
McCoy Performance DB Tail Rocker.jpg
I'll try to re-measure the 7'2'' with Surfywurfys method....

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Nugget 7'2'' Rocker measurements smaller.jpg

MrMik
regular

Franken-Zot Tail Pad placement

Post by MrMik » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Where should I put the tail pad on a Franken-Zot?

It's a 5'8'' x 22'' x 3'' with added FCS plugs.
Franken-Zot Fins.jpg
I think it needs a further single FCS plug just behind the fin box (and a FCS longboard box adapter), so that it can be surfed as a thruster.

Comparing the fin plug positions to my glassed-in Nugget fins:
The front plugs seem to be at the right distance from the tail (30cm), but further in from the rail (than the 2.5cm on the Nuggets).
The trailing edge of the glassed-in centre fins seems to be always 8.5cm from the tail. To place a fin in that spot, another FCS plug would be required.

The board is meant to allow experimentation with weird and wonderful fin setups, so I want the tail pad to be in a spot that will work with most.

I decided to stick the pad on so that the hump at the back is 20cm forward from the tail.

Where would you put the tail pad for a standard single fin Zot?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:33 am

YES, mf a good idea because the front plugs are probably too far from the rail ....then send mCoy a photo :D