review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

MrMik
regular

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by MrMik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 pm

surfywurfy wrote:YES, mf a good idea because the front plugs are probably too far from the rail ....then send mCoy a photo :D
Maybe this one? :D :B
Turbo-Franken-Zot.jpg

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:41 pm

:D definitely.lol....but on a serious note....way back in about 2002....I had a favourite 7/1 nug(custom thruster with box for centre fin)....in weak waves I used a GL sized centrefin....in strong waves I used a gull fin(slightly smaller than the present standard gull)....then the turbo tunnels showed up and I borrowed one....the gull fin was obsolete from then on....

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Tail pad and nose guard are on:
Zot tail pad and nose guard.jpg

Now, how do I get the cork to stick??? :D

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:14 am

MrMik wrote:Tail pad and nose guard are on:
Zot tail pad and nose guard.jpg

:D
Maybe you should get some artificial grass or use some second hand carpet ?.. :B

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 am

kayu wrote:Maybe you should get some artificial grass or use some second hand carpet ?.. :B
Actually, cork is not so bad. I stuck some onto my McCoy Performance DB:
Performance DB Cork Deck.jpg
Unfortunately not quite as grippy as I hoped, so lately I have started to give it a very light waxing on top of the cork.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:10 pm

MrMik wrote:
kayu wrote:Maybe you should get some artificial grass or use some second hand carpet ?.. :B
Actually, cork is not so bad. I stuck some onto my McCoy Performance DB:
Performance DB Cork Deck.jpg
Unfortunately not quite as grippy as I hoped, so lately I have started to give it a very light waxing on top of the cork.
I wasn't being critical of the cork MrMIk , I think its great stuff...I was questioning the logic of putting 4 fins , plus a turbo centre fin on a board that was designed as a single , and has been proven to work extremely well with 1 fin......5 fins is way too much apendage drag to be a good thing.......but I think there's a trick to using the cork on the board to get a real good grip.....there's a bit more to it , than just sticking it on like a gorilla pad..... :wink:

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:45 pm

:B and theres various fin combos that can work better than the standard GULL on the bottom,regardless of cork or uncorked ! FRANKENZOTS GO !

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 pm

surfywurfy wrote::B and theres various fin combos that can work better than the standard GULL on the bottom,regardless of cork or uncorked ! FRANKENZOTS GO !
I don't know if they work better or not, and when or where they would be better.

But with the extra fin boxes, there is a way to find out!

This board is much too small for me, it's a present for a grommet who will undoubtedly try out all sorts of fin combinations and learn more in the process (about the fin effects) than several distinct surfboards could teach. It may also be an excellent kite-surfing board for me, or rubbish, it remains to be seen.

Maybe I'll even repair the Turbo-Tunnel fin so it can be tried out in the waves (it caused absolutely no problems on the work bench... :D :D - but don't show Geoff... #*! )

Kayu, don't worry, I rescued that poor abused board from Victors castle before he could install even more plugs during the next thunderstorm... it is now a bit safer! And four pieces of duct tape will cover the extra plugs so that it will surf with the Gullwing Fin just like nothing happened. :B

If I ever tackle improving a McCoy board with extra fins, I will use adjustable fin systems, maybe the 4-way-fin -system. Even more possibilities to play around then.....

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 pm

How's it go with just the star fin?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 am

Cuttlefish wrote:How's it go with just the star fin?
No idea, the board is waiting for Santa.... :wink:

The star fin came with my (2nd hand) 6'2'' Zot, but I have never surfed it with the star fin. Maybe I should.

It appears to me that I need a 6'6'' Zot. The 6'2'' feels too squirrelly but is easy to duck-dive, the 7'1'' Zot feels great (with the gullwing-fin half-way between Geoffs suggested starting position (=18.5cm from the tail) and the extreme forward position), but is difficult to duck-dive.

I recently had a great time on my custom Nugget 6'10'' x 21 1/4'' x 3 1/4'' . Feels like it has more volume than the 6'2'' Zot, has manageable to good duck-dive-ability, and just does what I want. My feet seemed to land in the right spots automatically most of the time, and I experienced looking and going where I was looking while forgetting all about the board under my feet. It might just have been a good day for me, but it felt great. It could also be the effect of surfing single fins for around 18 months almost exclusively, I read somewhere that single fin surfing improves your surfing and then you feel the improvement when you go back to a thruster.

What size Zot would be similar (or slightly better) in duck-dive-ability compared to a Nugget 6'10'' x 21 1/4'' x 3 1/4'' ?

I reckon between 6'5'' and 6'7'' and am waiting for a bargain in that range to pop up somewhere.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Inbetween 6'5" and 6'7" eh!
Ask and you shall receive...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Surfboard-Mc ... 8ac&_uhb=1
6'6" should be right inbetween me thinks.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Inbetween 6'5" and 6'7" eh!
Ask and you shall receive...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Surfboard-Mc ... 8ac&_uhb=1
6'6" should be right inbetween me thinks.
That one went for a good price (550.-). I don't particularly like the spray job and Sydney it's too far away, adding courier costs and hassles, so I let it go.
_12.JPG

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm 6'1", 93-94 kgs and 50.
Mine's 6' x 22" x 3".
Spot on for my stats and preference in float.
Most people ride them longer than they could.
They are a pocket dweller not a point and shooter.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:57 am

Cuttlefish wrote:I'm 6'1", 93-94 kgs and 50.
Mine's 6' x 22" x 3".
Spot on for my stats and preference in float.
Most people ride them longer than they could.
They are a pocket dweller not a point and shooter.
You convinced me to try again, and the 6'2'' Zot is indeed starting to work well for me (6'2'' / 85kg). Even with the Gullwing Fin in the normal position, it's not feeling too squirrelly any more and my feet are often landing in the right spots, although still not as reliably as with my 6'10'' Nugget.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:12 am

Stoked!
There'll be days where conditions or your mood fit the 6'2" and others where the 6'10" will be the ticket.
They'll compliment each other. Just ride them to their prospective strengths rather than bothering to decide which one is better.
Merry Christmas.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:15 am

surfywurfy wrote::B and theres various fin combos that can work better than the standard GULL on the bottom,regardless of cork or uncorked ! FRANKENZOTS GO !
Testing has started....
FrankenZot 2+1.jpg
This set-up works, 2 dozen **r** barrels don't lie.... :B :B :B

One very happy grommet, he is out for the second surf now, this time with the Gullwing fin.

With the 2+1 setup he ended up putting the dolphin centre fin all the way forward (snap-in, adjustable in the surf), and then fell off a couple of times when the fins slid out of the wave. But even when the three fins are practically parallel, the board remains surf-able.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:26 pm

It would be interesting to see how a pair of bonzer sides would do with the centre single fin.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:05 am

Mik, :B that looks like a good starting point, itll be interesting to hear further comments about the different variations that are possible.is that green fin a 7 8 or 9?