review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:03 pm

the red one belongs to Cuttlefish, and he wanted me to get a smaller version foiled up for him, think its to be used with some little side bites in a few of his boards, he likes playing around with fins almost as much as I do..... 8)

havent heard about any recent shaping from you, whats the latest ? maybe PM or email to avoid total hijack.... :roll:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Filfth! :D
Only a rat can win the rat race.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 pm

#2 gull-wing...carbon centre and tab....
Attachments
gull-wing 008.jpg

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:52 pm

kayu wrote:#2 gull-wing...carbon centre and tab....
:lol:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Haha!...(thanks for the tips Huie ! )

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:57 pm

kayu wrote:Haha!...(thanks for the tips Huie ! )
came out allright eh

cheers huie

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Will do the job H ....actually , I should make a jig to do more...good use for shorter wood off-cuts and off-cuts of carbon too.........feel like doin some foiling ?.... :lol:

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:50 pm

batoes wrote:
someone has been tweaking :D
I'd love to know how that went as a quad.

I got my son a 6'10 thruster Nug to learn on. He doesn't use it anymore.

I don't really like the board - rides fine but I just don't get excited about riding it like I do the Zot.

Was thinking about getting a quad set-up put in it. Wasn't sure what quad set-up to go with - standard or McKee?

Anyone got any ideas?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Ok, I'll have a stab....McKee as it will give a closer feel to a thruster set up as opposed to a rear fins closer to the rail placement.
You'll probably find using a larger set of fins as a quad with the McCoy than you'd normally use with other quads.
Wide tail and the loaded dome will be giving it a looser feel than a concave/concaved bottom and I figure this is why Geoff uses larger fins on his thrusters.
That's my take on it.

giba-giga

Post by giba-giga » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Cuttles could be onto something re: the large fins. I have a Sweet Potato and tried it with Stretch Futures and Controllers. Went heaps better with the Controllers which are a massive fin. With the wide/thick tail which is not disimiliar to a McCoy the Controllers give great drive and control.........funny that :shock:

So big tail + big fins= :lol:
“If you count your chickens before they've hatched, they won't lay an egg.”

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:20 pm

hi OG, on march 16th i suggested adding FCS plugs to yr AZ.Please disregard that.reason being @ that point in time i assumed the rails of an AZ were the same as a thruster nugget.just recently i bought a nugget single and realised the hard edge of Geoffs singles and thrustas are in different positions.
So if u want a Quad Mccoy u will have to get a thruster and add the FCS plugs.A 6/2 recently as last week went on Ebay,it had been a standard nugget with 3 glassed on fins and the owner had it converted to 5 plugs....the perfect travel board if u like the sensation of 3 or 4 fins.
ALSO, the latest standard gull fins dont have a plate and screw attachment but have retractable grommets with a normal pin, so they go in and out of the board really quickly
my opinion is that makes a better faster option than screwing in a normal single.Another alternative for 3 and 4 fins is the SPEEEED fin system.They go in really quick but come out with a be careful scenario.i met a guy who had the standard 3 fins replaced with 3 speed fins and he said it improved performance and was great to travel with.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:33 pm

While you're at it there's also the conundrum of fin plug placement when using a thruster's fin plugs and then adding rear plugs to ride it as a quad.
The glassed on thruster side fins would be in a less than optimal placement, have more toe in and you'd be stuck with the glass ons while only being able to change the rear fins?
So is it better to put quad plugs into a single and see how the harder edge further up feels as at least the fin plug placement could be better?
OR
Put the rear plugs in a thruster for a quad and grind the centre fin off and put in rear quad plugs and a centre fin plug.
Can't see the point really.
But on a side note my DVS "weiner" has normally only been made as a thruster so I had to be different and asked for a 2+1 set up.
So my side fins are in a slightly different place to the thrusters and with less toe in. When putting in a small thruster style fin in the centre fin box the fin can't be moved far enough back to be in the std thruster centre fin position.
Despite this it still works pretty well as a thruster but I prefer the feel of the board as a 2+1.
Which then ties back in to what Geoff espouses which is that his nuggets work best as a single or a thruster and he's shaped them to be that way.
Maybe he's right.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:16 am

I reckon trying these different fin set ups is unreal, I love it and think is a great way feel and learn different things about how boards perform and what shapes work well with different fin configurations...but I reckon Geoff will probably be right with his advice, no doubt he has tried most options and knows what works best... 8) would be keen to see pics of the fin changes if people are going ahead and doing the changes, and ride reports to go with it too.... 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 am

One thing about the fin changes is usually only see them on boards being sold on Evil bay.
Which could mean.... :?:
Or Revo surfer in the US with his Pautsch shapped nuggets which are shaped with the various fin configurations in mind rather than having plugs retro-fitted to existing singles or thrusters.
Need more ride reports though....waiting....waiting.... :wink:

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Tell me this isn't a Zot with an extra coupla fins.

IT'S FAAARRRRKKKKIIIINNNGGGGG GORGEOUS!!

"The Power Ball" PotBelly. 5'6 x 22 x 3 it has quite a bit more nose rocker than I was expecting, but I think this thing will go OK in a lot bigger waves than I was expecting. Wouldn't be too many around like this I'd reckon. Surf is attrocious as happens evey time a get a new board. Can't wait to get it wet.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... G_0270.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... G_0269.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... G_0267.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... G_0266.jpg

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... G_0271.jpg
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Looks like a shit load of fun. Gotta get me a McCoy

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:34 am

Ha!
And you Sir, have the audacity to call me a board whore! :roll:
That looks the business Kookster.
Since it's 2' and currently reasonably glassy at 7.30am I reckon Kookster's out getting the "Power ball" dipped in aquatic juices right now.
Ride report pending... :?: