review of Mccoy Astron Zot

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: review of Mccoy Astron Zot

Post by pridmore » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm

its one thing to copy but totally diffrent to get influenced by different shapers and certain designs, every shaper does it and will continue to do it, you have to,you'd be silly not to open your eyes to influences, ( mini-simmons comes to mind - even the fish recently ) cant stick ya head in the sand ...I think good shapers will borrow ceratin design elements and belnd them into one great FUNctional board to make the customer stoked.... its all been done before and every board has elements of other designs You'd be mad not to get inspired and influenced by others and Geoff is a legend and has shaped boards of high quality so his boards are bound to be looked to as inspiration especially when your talking high volume boards....
I like this thread and great to see some fresh people posting valid contribution, not just negative bitter remarks as has been the case here recently...hope you new guys hang around and continue to post..... 8)

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Mark, spot on! Six pages already. Man I love McCoy stoke.
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Good boards, i like em, but you'll always find people that hate them even though they've never ridden them. I have found it to be a consistent problem here: http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/geoff- ... ory?page=1
Before you attempt to dispel the myth behind a design you should always ride it first (and i'm in no way suggesting anyone over here is doing that). I wondered if the mini simmons was all hype, but after spending some quality time on Pridmore's dim-sim, i believe it works and works well. When i surf my nugget, I am always being reminded i'm riding a board from a designer that ruined Cheyne Horan's career, yet i seem to really enjoy myself.
Cuttle - have you resisted temptation? Or are you getting that 6ft zot?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Good post Pridmore, talking sense there unlike some of the crew who get their knickers in a twist over who should or shouldn't be shaping what. After all, where did Geoff get the inspiration to start shaping twins all those years back?

I remember reading something Si Anderson said about how his first thrusters were hugely influenced by the original Zap, so it guess it can be said that he has a long history influencing others. Why wouldn't anyone be inspired by his newer designs also?

I think it's great that he's still influencing other shapers today in what is, realistically, his last decade or so of shaping (in no way am I writing him off or anything!)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Too many bills to pay. Like most everyone I suppose.
It would help if I could block out my notion that so much human activity is pointless, so I'd rather surf a point, than join in on the activities that our society place so much importance on.
That's a cryptic way of saying I don't exactly like work. :shock:
No zot.
This thread is interesting and I like hearing how so many have either tried a McCoy, become converts and if so hearing about the different model impressions, or from others who are in interested in finding out if a McCoy is for them.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm

One day Cuttle. I am firm believer that we got it so wrong. If i had it my way, we'd all be swinging from trees and surfing (what boards? i'm not sure...) As far as jobs, bills and money, well they would only be spoken of like the boogey man or vampires - as in "Go to sleep or you'll be forced to get a job."
Took the nugget out today - 2ft glass, damn that board loves a barrel. I wonder how a zot would go as a thruster? i know Gerry Wedd converted his - but most recently i saw this: http://weddwould.blogspot.com/2011/02/real-mccoy.html

Now that is a potbelly 5'2, 22, 3 but it does have a very similar shape to an astron zot. And i guess a potbelly at that length and width would. Kookster (ex-potbelly rider extraordinaire) comment?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm

wow somboddys on something strong

jumping at shadows

good thread :D i am not trying to upset anything just stating facts :roll:
big difference between following trends for whatever reason but keeping your own identity
than running around copying plan shapes from other boards or worse machine :twisted:

it is a public forum

more pridmore i smell a rat :?

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:50 pm

^^^WTF :?:
Please speaka da eng-lish...
:mrgreen:

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm

batoes wrote:http://weddwould.blogspot.com/2011/02/real-mccoy.html

Now that is a potbelly 5'2, 22, 3 but it does have a very similar shape to an astron zot. And i guess a potbelly at that length and width would. Kookster (ex-potbelly rider extraordinaire) comment?
That thing definitely appeals to me.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey Baty what makes you so sure Horan would have even made the top 10 without McCoy. Everyone says he would have been world champ without McCoy. What about the other way around? Maybe he'd be an "also-ran". ;-)

That super short PotBelly would be so different to anything anything I've ever ridden (McCoy or otherwise) but shit I'd love to have a go.
Last edited by kookster on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Here's the quiver before I got the 6'0 Zap and sold the PotBelly.

6'0 PotBelly left, 6'0 Stumpy Nugget middle, 6'4 Zap right

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... G_0040.jpg

And the same pic below with the 6'0 Zap overlaid, so this is the current quiver. Disclaimer: Bought the smaller Zap sight unseen out the factory rack and got it sent up. Please keep rainbow warrior jokes to a minimum.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt32 ... Quiver.jpg
Last edited by kookster on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Moore wrote:
batoes wrote:http://weddwould.blogspot.com/2011/02/real-mccoy.html

That thing definitely appeals to me.
that avatar doesnt appeal to me, sorry mate but thats farkin creepy....I am gunna have to have a look at McCoys site to keep up with all these models and shite.... 8) 8)

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Too true on Horan Kookster, just taking a dig at rockspider on sways - it's a boring argument that i've heard too many times. Gerry had a zot and he alludes he is happier on the tiny potbelly -- i wonder if Geoff will ever make a thruster zot? And what would be the surf-able differences?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Quangers wrote:^^^WTF :?:
Please speaka da eng-lish...
:mrgreen:

pay attention :lol:

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Whooaaaaa

Just had a Bundy Distillers No 3 epiphany

Go back to OG's original pix and look at the decal, it says "Astron Zot All rounder" OK so is there a difference between a straight Zot and an Allrounder one?

Like all epiphanies it poses more questions than it answers.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Moore wrote:
Chillin wrote:. I'm 54 and weigh 69kg and average surfer.
Damn - there was me thinking you were early 20s, blonde hair, goofyfoot... :lol:

I get the impression the Biscuit you ride is a single? I've only seen them as tri fins.
.Which brings me onto the comparison between the Zot and the Potbelly; presuming you were comparing single fin versions of each, where would the differences lie? Just a bit more width on the Zot maybe?
With you on the bottom shape, too. However, I was going to get a single fin Potbelly shaped by Geoff a while back that was just going to be for the micro mush stuff we often get in summer here, but I couldn't afford it at the time unfortunately.. He said he would probably flatten the dome and the rocker out quite considerably and leave a longer edge on the rail in the back of the board. Sounded like it would make sense, but never got the chance to try.

You got the goofy bit right, have the Slater hairstyle, my only common ground..
Nah, biscuits only come as a thruster, I'm using FCS H3 smalls and they seem to suit me real good. The MSF is a single has a similar plan rocker and bottom, although less refined than the biscuit.
Late drops are not a problem for me...I avoid em, no use getting pounded and risk being out of the water with injuries, but its the main reason I'm going for the Gravy, more foil, more rocker, similar volume
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Well, don't change that avatar anyway.. :)

I had a Merrick MSF a while back, a 5'9. I liked it, but it was a little small for me (6'1 and 80kg). I had a local shaper make me a similar 5'10 single after that which ended up not only being the best single I've ever had, but one of the best boards ever. It was magic.

I took it to Portugal with a 8" Greenough fin and it went in absolutely everything, from sloppy beachbreak to solid point surf at Arrifana. That board had a similar bottom to the MSF, but with a hefty spiral vee out the back instead of the double conc that I think the MSF had. Wish I still had it...

I think McCoy's sentiment that a good single fin is still a very valid design is spot-on. I love 'em.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 am

I've never ridden a modernised single fin, I've only ever ridden old 70's singles like McGrigors etc.

How would you describe the ride and feel, and how would you compare it to other fin set-ups like thrusters and quads?

The theory of less drag from less fin makes a lot of sense...especially with a big flexy Greenough style fin... I remember reading Geoff comment that seeing as the fin is pointing towards the direction of travel he thinks that single fins are far faster than multi-fin systems that are angled to the direction of travel (toed in).

Then again, a read a lot of people commenting about 2+1 set-ups and bonzers that they like a bit of wall and push to really feel alive...

What do you guys think?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.