quiver pix

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

purple pyramids
barnacle

Re: quiver pix

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:48 pm

pridmore wrote:wheres your quiver pic PP ???
...just as one swallow does not make a summer, one board does not make a quiver. but i'm hoping to 'win' something this week.
Last edited by purple pyramids on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Here's the working quiver.
6' X 21" X 2&3/4-7/8" (not certain of thickness) Dick Van Straalen stringerless, concave deck. hydro hull with volane glass and wood and carbon fibre keels.
6'2" X 22" X 2&5/8" Matt Keane hull with fluid foils flex fin and Dick Van Straalen side bites.
6'4" X 21" X 2&7/8" Diverse quad with blue resin tint and Arcade glass fins (similar to FCS stretch template).
7' X 21" X 3" Michael Cundith seven T model diamond tail with orange resin tint and 6.5" centre fin and FCS bonzer sidebites.
8' Dick Van Straalen carbon fibre/EPS all rounder with concave deck which normally has the sidebites that are in the Matt Keane board.....

Image 8)

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm

^^ Is that the Cuttlefish quiver Prids?

Would love to hear how the 8' DVS goes - only ever tried one epoxy, which was a SurfTech high volume board which I didn't like. Had to fight the board to put in a decent turn. But, in the interests of longevity and the shapers health (is it true the epoxy board has less small fibres rushing down an shapers throat?) I'd like to give it another go.

About the McCoy - yup, not for everyone - but good on ya for giving it a go before dismissing it.

I was concerned about the Single Fin releasing - had an old Mike Davis single which I managed to pop the fin occasionally on bottom turns when I really wanted it to hold. I told Geoff my concerns before ordering the 8ft single and he assured me it wouldn't release. I'm now on my second McCoy single and I haven't slid out yet.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Yep, that's my boards. Thanks Mark for posting them for me.
I'll have a look tonight and see if I can figure it out for myself with the tinypics website.
The 8' DVS is phenomenal. No feeling of corkiness.
The carbon loads up and has "twang".
I know it's an inbetween size but I had a poly 8' Van Straalen all rounder and it went fantastically I thought.
Talked to Dick about what extra I was after and the carbon fibre/eps was the way to do it.
It has a concave deck and versa traction (full deck) which is opaque when dry and clear when wet so no need for wax and eliminates worries about melted wax.
Has a screw topped valve in the deck near the nose which I leave open when not surfing to stop heat buildup.
I don't leave it in direct sun or hot cars when not in the water.
The carbon board is virtually the same weight as the poly.
It paddles faster, surfs faster and is more responsive.
It is thicker than the poly with chine rails all the way along to the nose.
It rides higher on the water (hence better paddling) and the chines give the rails bite.
Paddles every bit as fast as a 9'er poly.
Once I rode the carbon board I never rode the poly again.
It literally gathered dust until it was sold.
I've ridden it in ankle snappers to solid Noosa and it does it all well.
Had a guy drop in on me behind the boiling pot once and he fell off straight in front of me on the take off.
His board ran straight down the face and I've turned in time to hit it with my rail (rather than run over it).
Got slammed and came up in time for the next set wave to break directly half way along my board.
Came up with boardies and rashie totally full of sand expecting to have two 4'ers.
Nothing.
A fracture on the rail which was easily fixed and I honestly can't spot the repair.
Carbon is strong when done by Dick.
Rasta's never broken a carbon fibre/eps board.
Guess I'm lucky too. Only thing Rasta and I have in common.
Lot of volume in the board though so big beachies are tough to get under waves so best on points.
Worth every cent.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 pm

pridmore wrote:Here's the working quiver.
6' X 21" X 2&3/4-7/8" (not certain of thickness) Dick Van Straalen stringerless, concave deck. hydro hull with volane glass and wood and carbon fibre keels.
6'2" X 22" X 2&5/8" Matt Keane hull with fluid foils flex fin and Dick Van Straalen side bites.
6'4" X 21" X 2&7/8" Diverse quad with blue resin tint and Arcade glass fins (similar to FCS stretch template).
7' X 21" X 3" Michael Cundith seven T model diamond tail with orange resin tint and 6.5" centre fin and FCS bonzer sidebites.
8' Dick Van Straalen carbon fibre/EPS all rounder with concave deck which normally has the sidebites that are in the Matt Keane board.....

Image 8)
Hows the 7ft Bonzerish craft go? I think Neal Puchase Jr makes something similar called a Fantasea and i have seen footage of him ripping but he's a pretty unreal surfer anayway.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:07 pm

pridmore wrote:Here's the working quiver.

Image 8)
How do the first two hulls surf? I'm guessing that there is a hull entry in the nose in both boards?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Davros the 7'er goes really well in a cruisey single fin way.
Loves a high line on a good wall. Hard bottom turns and cutbacks.
Comes off the top in its own sweet time.
MC reckons they go well with thruster fin set up.
I tried riding it as a single and it felt sluggish and difficult to turn with a 8" Greenough 4C fin in it.
Put the bonzer side runners and the 6.5" centre fin and it rode like they were meant for it.
Last time I was in Byron I showed it to MC and he reckoned it would work great. He used to shape dedicated bonzers back in the day.
He straight away put the same set up in one of his boards in the showroom.
The 7'er is for when the waves are a decent size.
I used to have a Neal Purchase snr "Snubb" widowmaker (2+1) but it was only 5'10" and simply too small for me.
Guy I sold it to in Vicco said it was one of the best boards he'd ever owned.
Having said that I still was able to ride it in good waves and be amazed how well it went.
I would have needed a 6'4" or 6'6" to be completely comfortable on it.
Cpt Caveman the 6'2" hull has only been in the water twice in tiny waves. It's going to be for Johnson's at Noosa.
The DVS stringerless isn't a hull as such it's a hydro hull which is Dick Van's deep v-shaped concave which runs through inbetween the fins.
It hasn't even been waxed.
I know one thing though...It'll go like a raped ape. :D

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Davros the 7'er goes really well in a cruisey single fin way.
Loves a high line on a good wall. Hard bottom turns and cutbacks.
Comes off the top in its own sweet time.
MC reckons they go well with thruster fin set up.
I tried riding it as a single and it felt sluggish and difficult to turn with a 8" Greenough 4C fin in it.
Put the bonzer side runners and the 6.5" centre fin and it rode like they were meant for it.
Last time I was in Byron I showed it to MC and he reckoned it would work great. He used to shape dedicated bonzers back in the day.
He straight away put the same set up in one of his boards in the showroom.
The 7'er is for when the waves are a decent size.
I used to have a Neal Purchase snr "Snubb" widowmaker (2+1) but it was only 5'10" and simply too small for me.
Guy I sold it to in Vicco said it was one of the best boards he'd ever owned.
Having said that I still was able to ride it in good waves and be amazed how well it went.
I would have needed a 6'4" or 6'6" to be completely comfortable on it.
Cpt Caveman the 6'2" hull has only been in the water twice in tiny waves. It's going to be for Johnson's at Noosa.
The DVS stringerless isn't a hull as such it's a hydro hull which is Dick Van's deep v-shaped concave which runs through inbetween the fins.
It hasn't even been waxed.
I know one thing though...It'll go like a raped ape. :D
Thanks - yeah looked at a Snubb - look awesome just need to get an extra paper route to by a new one with snazzy art design. :roll:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:18 pm

I'd ask for an extra patch on the deck of the Snubb.
All the boards I've seen done by Neal Jnr have had decks that looked fairly well heel dented.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:35 am

photo test using image shack.
Dick Van Straalen bamboo, carbon fibre sandwich construction keel fins.
Can someone let me know if the photos are appearing in line as I can see them but others may have to follow a link to Image shack and then it will ask you to sign in before you can see the picture.
Cheers.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:53 pm

The shot looks fine. Nice keels BTW.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks for letting me know.
IT challenged.
Finally got it happening.
:D

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 pm

And a shot of these likely lads from the shaping talent pool and an ex world champ to boot.
Oops. Image is a bit large. Only see Dick Van and the rest of the crew are off the page on my little netbook.
Back to the drawing board for photo posting. :?

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:17 pm

6' something retro single fin shaped by Geoff Wakefield, 6'1" MORE quad shaped by this mark bloke, you guys might know him? 5'5" twinny Beachbeat shaped by Bart Watkins and last but not least 9'6" Classic Malibu Californian shaped by Peter White and put back together after it was snapped by Brett White. Not in the photo (on loan to a mate) is a 9'1" HP Beachbeat which I never ride.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Didn't know Bart shaped boards as well.
How's it go?
I'm guessing your MORE gets the most water time?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:40 pm

marcus_h wrote:Image

6' something retro single fin shaped by Geoff Wakefield, 6'1" MORE quad shaped by this mark bloke, you guys might know him? 5'5" twinny Beachbeat shaped by Bart Watkins and last but not least 9'6" Classic Malibu Californian shaped by Peter White and put back together after it was snapped by Brett White. Not in the photo (on loan to a mate) is a 9'1" HP Beachbeat which I never ride.
Great quiver mate, nice variety. It reminds me of the quote - "There is no wrong surfboard, just wrong selection of equipment!"
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Didn't know Bart shaped boards as well.
How's it go?
I'm guessing your MORE gets the most water time?
Mate I love it, really really flat so just glides over the dead sections.

If anything I ride the log most, but i usually swap around during a session between it and the shorties. The quad rocks though such a fun board to ride.

And cheers Caveman, probably just me but I dont get the point of a quiver that is similar. I like the variation that each board gives me

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Cuttlefish wrote: The 8' DVS is phenomenal. No feeling of corkiness.
The carbon loads up and has "twang".
I know it's an inbetween size but...it went fantastically
Nice review....I kinda like the 8 footers, easier to handle than the 9 footers, better when its a bit chunkier get in nice and early. I like Mals for easy head high and under days, gliding and walking.

You've ridden hulls as well right? Some people have likened the McCoys to a hull. I can see it from the bottom shape, but in your experience do they share any similarities in the ride? I guess the McCoys turn more like a regular board....