quiver pix

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Morgan The Moon
Local

Re: quiver pix

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:The carbon loads up and has "twang".
Just wondering....have you tried the carbon on a DVS fish?
Have you tried his quads? I ride thick boards, and the 6'6 quad was way thinner than the 6'6 classic fish. Would love to hear a ride report if you have??

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:15 pm

I used to have a carbon/eps 6' rocket fish with flex keels made by Dick.
The Rocket fish has a more pulled in nose than his traditional ones and with a concave deck and hydro hull.
Very,very fast in good hollow waves.
Loved smooth steep faces and barrels.
Think of doing a manouvre and it was just about finished it by the time you'd thought of it.
I didn't surf the quality of waves it needed often enough and eventually sold it.
Super strong and not corky at all in its feel.
The traditional fish Dick makes in carbon/eps would be great.
You'd have no floatation issues if you go custom and let Dick know your weight and so on.
Talked to him Wednesday and he won't be able to finish customs until into Jan as the blank manufacturers and glassers close down over christmas.
Quad wise I've only ridden a poly 6'6" which is like a pocket rocket model with swallow not a fish planshape.
Have a go at the thickness of my 8'er.
It has a chine rail so still bites...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only a rat can win the rat race.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:32 pm

pridmore wrote:cool, very interested in pics of Welsh waves if you have any......good quiver mate..... 8)
By logmog at 2010-11-24

Took me a while Mark, but here's the only one. Cleanest day I had over there. Waves were head high on the outside sets, but its clean and lined up at Langland Bay in the Gower, South Wales. My missus took this shot, best day I had in 2 months - thats me heading down to the water.....

The surf culture in the UK is HUGE. It was just like being at Avoca, except the water was 12 degrees. There were old guys out the back on their logs hogging everything. Always a crowd at Langland when there's a sniff of a wave. A lot of capable riders too. This was the closest beach to Swansea town so that explains the crowds.

Some great work being done on the boards there. Checked out JP's boardstore http://www.jpsurfboards.co.uk/ and got a guided tour of the shaping bay. He's doing some nice shapes and great glassing.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Ah, nice pics and some good info Cuttles.

That 8ft board was made for me.......let me know when you sell it :mrgreen:

Keep hearing that DVS is getting out of the game soon - any truth in those rumours?
I first heard them about 3 years ago though, so I guess he's closer to hanging up his planer now.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Just trialling a 6'4 Carbon Fibre Epoxy DVS fish.

It's significantly lighter than my 6'6 (which I got glassed heavy) and it's blowing my mind a bit.

I've always liked heavy boards, but the response on this thing is making me think again......
Cuttlefish wrote:Think of doing a manouvre and it was just about finished it by the time you'd thought of it.
...especially when unweighting. Section was closing out a little, thinking about hitting the lip and bouncing off when I found myself floating above it. Even pumping down a section, it is so responsive....

Going to give it back, or I'll end up having to replace all the boards. It hurts my head :roll:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:28 am

Stoked :D
How in the world did you get your hands on a 6'4" carbon DVS to trial?

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 am

It's being sold....way too big for the owner who's now on a 5'10.... :D

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey Morgan the moon. I maybe interested in the 6'4 dvs fish, are you able to message me the details if you don't want it buddy.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:43 am

seems alot of fish riders are wanting smaller boards now, but initially wanted bigger coz didnt think they were able to ride smaller boards, eg. a guy who I sold a 6'5" Fat-Bat to, ( he initially wanted 6'6" ), is now keen on a 6'0" version, surfers ( especially the 35 - 55 yr group ) are now slowly realizing that shorter boards can be ridden and are actually very FUNctional, it depends on the design obviously ( and volume, rocker etc... ) but great to see surfers slowly learning this and their surfing and fun levels are benefitting from it... 8)

cool pics MTM.....I have some Welsh Dragons decals I use on my own boards sometimes....

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Freshiedude wrote:Hey Morgan the moon. I maybe interested in the 6'4 dvs fish, are you able to message me the details if you don't want it buddy.
PM and photo's sent through to your e-mail addy.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am

pridmore wrote:seems alot of fish riders are wanting smaller boards now, but initially wanted bigger coz didnt think they were able to ride smaller boards, eg. a guy who I sold a 6'5" Fat-Bat to, ( he initially wanted 6'6" ), is now keen on a 6'0" version, surfers ( especially the 35 - 55 yr group ) are now slowly realizing that shorter boards can be ridden and are actually very FUNctional, it depends on the design obviously ( and volume, rocker etc... ) but great to see surfers slowly learning this and their surfing and fun levels are benefitting from it... 8)

cool pics MTM.....I have some Welsh Dragons decals I use on my own boards sometimes....
I'm with you on that one. I love riding a longboard, but nowadays just keep it for mornings like today - waist high peelers. I really look forward to those small mornings just so I can bring her out.

I know I'm not a performance rider, and I don't call what I ride short boards. They're basically cut down longboards, but with the reduced length they fit into smaller spaces on a wave much easier and I can get a few more turns in. I'm liking it and never imagined riding anything smaller than 7'.

I've spotted your Dragons - always thought they'd be for some ex-pat called Dai living it up on the Mid North Coast. Never thought the shaper'd have a bit of Welsh in 'im :roll: Keen to see what you come up with after looking at the Lazer Zap Mark. I'm hoping you'll give it a quad spin....

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 pm

cool...I'll get to tzap but the mini-simmons has my attention for now, sooo much fun, could quite possibly suit yourself from what you said..... 8)

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 pm

After hearing your enthusiasm (and Cuttlefish and CC) then I think you might be right...

Check out this shot...love the foil....kinda hullish??

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:After hearing your enthusiasm (and Cuttlefish and CC) then I think you might be right...

Check out this shot...love the foil....kinda hullish??

Wish my dick was that thick.
BTW - mow your lawn.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:45 am

stuff the lawn,go surfing instead..... plus not sure its even your lawn or board ??? looks like a fun little slab.... 8)

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:38 am

It's not as thick as some.....

That's lifted straight from the Mackie site, so .... it's not my grass . I've got more weeds than grass. That grass looks nice.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Dragged up from the past.
What's left after a quiver cull?
These...

Only the MC 7t survived!
The 6'4" and the 4'2" should keep me amused for a while.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:51 pm

The wiener!!! What happened...!!

Dynacore better than the epoxy / fibreglass ?!?

Sheesh. That board has a lovely plan shape. Reminds me of those NPJ quads but with different tech.

I pick up my DVS 8' in 2 weeks time. Get to stop off in wet'n'wild world too - I am such a waterman :P