Mini Simmons

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Mini Simmons

Post by batoes » Sat May 21, 2011 5:37 pm

pics Davros - pics! :) Not to hijack the sim thread....
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat May 21, 2011 6:16 pm

I'll have a crack

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:00 pm

After offloading my Mal to a guy from work a few weeeks ago, I made a bit of an impulse purchase off fleabay during the week, and am now the new owner of a 'Rake' simmons. Its 5'2", 2 & 3/4" thick and 23" (!!) wide.

After picking it from Bondi on saturday morning, there was a nice clean 2ft wave at the south end......with only a hundred or so out!! (I lterally stopped counting at 70 surfers spread across the 2 small peaks. How the hell do you Sydney guys put up with it?).

So I declined a surf there, and we headed off Mona Vale to meet Grant Miller and pick up my second board. (Yes, it was a good weekend. Yes, my wife is making me pay for it).

There was 'only' 30 or so out at Mona Vale, so I ended up taking the simmons out on Sat afternoon and again this morning. I Ioved the board, whilst I flapped around like a bit of a gumby most of the time, it paddled into waves where I thought I had no chance, and floated across fat secions with ease, and turned on a whim. I can see myself riding this 90% of the time - I'm a convert!

alc81

Post by alc81 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:02 pm

that a nice looking board, let us know how the glass job holds up, seen a few of them Noble is making some nice boards

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 am

As far as mini-sims go, that board looks spot-on I reckon :D

I think they are often a lot of fun when you first surf one as you simply do not know what to expect and an hour or two later you come away happily stoked :mrgreen:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon May 23, 2011 7:49 am

I am happily stoked 7 months on.... :D

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon May 23, 2011 9:58 am

Haven't heard a bad word about these boards...how do they go in choppy weak conditions as opposed to smaller Autumn waves that are clean and have a bit of push? Is it a good spring/summer board I guess as well.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon May 23, 2011 10:31 am

I ride mine 90% of the time, had it in some solid overhead waves and ride it in tiny soft stuff too, the area of them makes sure they get up and plane easily, but its the rocker that I find is vital to having one that will perform in small soft stuff as well as go well in a bit of size and push too...I think FCS fins are definitely the GO for these coz it gives you options to allow the board to be adapted to different surf, tried ones with timber D fins and they just dont perform the same , but thats just my opinion, I think timber is nice and all, looks good but the flexx and feel of good glass fins is hard to beat ( in any board imho ), timber for me, seems to be a retro cool image thing..and if they are glassed in and dont go great, you are stuck with them, with FCS, you can fine tune and adjust for optimim performance...I use the word performance alot with these boards coz it is, they shouldnt be a cruisy dull, almost an option for a mal or mini-mal imho, way too much potential to be used like that, but then again, they do fit that bill if shaped that way...but I like em lively so you can still belt a few lips and draw some nice turns..... 8)

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon May 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Yeah the alternative to the mini mal thing is a good point, its good to cruise but when theres some juice and your in that frame of mind............speaking of seems to be a few short 2+1 set ups popping up like Mandala and Point Concept....I think they are meant to be ridden in below 4ft surf (could be wrong) anyone know how that set up goes with these type of boards, as the 2+1 set ups that seem to be used from yester year are the Widow Maker and HB Drifta and they are for taking large slices out of powerfulish waves, just wondering.

GeckoTube
Grommet

Post by GeckoTube » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 am

So Rake, Murray B, Diverse, BlackApache & Pridders all do these shapes.
Anyone know any shapers in Sydney turning them out at the moment?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:47 am

Mick Mackie does them. Bloody versatile design - just been riding my dim-sim with traditional keels - changes the feel of the board completely. More hold in bigger waves, similar speed, less turn though.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Good call on the Mackies. Also PCC in cronulla has been doing them for a while.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 am

UH'' :lol:
Last edited by huie on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 am

Looks nice Huie, any chance of a side-on rocker shot?

Don't you find parallel place fins a bit stiff to turn on a board that tends to be so wide with a parallel planshape and flat rocker?

How far forward is your widepoint too?

Looks like a nice amount of planshape and tail curve to draw some lines from :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

cheers huie
Last edited by huie on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 pm

huie wrote:[ haaa i no longer surf :( in any case it would be just my opinnion :idea:

feed back some like the keel some like the quads some like the hull in a mini :roll:

cheers huie
That's a little sad you no longer surf :?: That's a statement that sounds final, hope it's not and hope it's not over some health or other major issue! :shock:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:31 pm

5'0" x about 22" x about 2 3/4" from mid 70's....cool board, tryin to be the owner...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:50 pm

5'10" x 22 1/8" x 3"