Displacement hull boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Displacement hull boards

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:12 pm

cuttle...the boards in duke street

take it and use it...for as long as u like :idea:

just drop it back there...and maybe buy some wax

there not getting rich anytime soon :wink: :lol:

i really think u will love it

p.s and with the swell dropin i can say on the net

nth the rivermouth was awesome early this week :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks Fong. :)
I should try the Matt Keane out as well though. :oops:
Supposed to be finishing off bathroom in our house but bugger all work done this week. :lol:
I had heard the same thing re the r'mouth.
Suggested it to my mate from Coolum who surfs Noosa with me regularly on the way in the other morning and he was "Nah, let's go to Ti tree"
Oh well. 2 less out there is a good thing. :wink:
Only a rat can win the rat race.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:41 pm

Im really starting to get fasinated with the single fin thing, I mean I suppose Im going back to where I started but it just seems that out at tea tree?Noosa with the crowds unless its insanely good and plenty of waves with few crowds :shock: (NEVER :evil:) i reckon give me a board that gives me a bit of a edge. A single fin, made right they are bloody fast, they draw beautiful lines, they smooth out your surfing, they require a different style of surfing, you can stall the buggers beautifully, there different and a hell of a lot fun.

I reckon Im gonna give it a go to shape one of them soon, just a few things to get out of the road first , but I plan to have two ready to go for the next cyclone season. A purple tint will be a must on the bottom of course.

All of this trouble I blame on huei after letting me have a go of his single, as the toyota add says, oh what a feeling.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:Yup, I have a paper which proves that the earth is flat which I'd like to sell them.

8)
hey roy this stuff has become obselete in some ways :roll:
i have moved on to van oossanens F D H F 8) i am liking what there doing :idea:

cheers huie
Last edited by huie on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Mum's the word Huie. . . . 8)

huie
Local

Post by huie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:42 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:Mum's the word Huie. . . . 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i wouldnt worry to much about that it will take the wank industry
a long time to transfer his theory in to a surfboard :roll:

cheers huie

tigers

Post by tigers » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:11 am

The term "hull" , when used in reference to surfboards is imediately understood by most.It has no reference to boat hulls.....try concentrating on the boards and stop being so pedantic about grammer, its a waiste of time :lol:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:55 am

tigers wrote:The term "hull" , when used in reference to surfboards is imediately understood by most.It has no reference to boat hulls.....try concentrating on the boards and stop being so pedantic about grammer, its a waiste of time :lol:
I disagree it's not understood well, and it's not a grammar issue at all.

It's totally ludicrous when a simmons board is described as a planing hull and a liddle board a displacement hull when both are planing hulls.

Meanwhile all the other boards out there which are planing hulls are not allowed to use the term 'hull' at all.

You say concentrate on the boards but you don't really mean that if you are prepared to remain ignorant about how they work

In general surfers are some of the stupidest people on the planet, I don't know why I bother with them.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:52 am

tigers wrote:The term "hull" , when used in reference to surfboards is imediately understood by most.It has no reference to boat hulls.....try concentrating on the boards and stop being so pedantic about grammer, its a waiste of time :lol:

you have just displayed your total ignorance of the subject 90% of surfboard design has evolved from hull design
god knows how you will ever understand F D H F :roll:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Hey Huie is that FDHF stuff a displacement hull in front planing in the back idea ?

tigers

Post by tigers » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:29 pm

huie wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:Keep in mind that 'displacement hull' is a misnomer when applied to these boards as they are primarily planing hulls.

Probably the only true displacement hull surfboards are ancient olos.

Some of my large pintailed designs use displacement tails and have a higher ratio of displacement based lift to planing lift than any of the boards erroneously marketed as 'displacement hulls' at present. Even so they still gain the majority of their lift from planing once riding waves.

well you are right the heading is the wrong discription of the design i have
but it seems to be trendy to refer to them as hulls
my design is aimed at one special little wave
dont particularly care what its called 8)

2010 :lol:
......my point is "displacement hulls" has become a recognisable term to describe the interest in these boards....BTW ,I have never seen a surfboad that was not a combination of planing and displacement....correct me if I'm wrong :D

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 am

tigers wrote:
huie wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:Keep in mind that 'displacement hull' is a misnomer when applied to these boards as they are primarily planing hulls.

Probably the only true displacement hull surfboards are ancient olos.

Some of my large pintailed designs use displacement tails and have a higher ratio of displacement based lift to planing lift than any of the boards erroneously marketed as 'displacement hulls' at present. Even so they still gain the majority of their lift from planing once riding waves.

well you are right the heading is the wrong discription of the design i have
but it seems to be trendy to refer to them as hulls
my design is aimed at one special little wave
dont particularly care what its called 8)

2010 :lol:
......my point is "displacement hulls" has become a recognisable term to describe the interest in these boards....BTW ,I have never seen a surfboad that was not a combination of planing and displacement....correct me if I'm wrong :D

well detective ted at the point you refer to it was my intention to leave it at that 8) but the disscusion with roy furthered on both roy and i new what we were saying 8) and seing you are so intent on searching my every post if you know anything about boatbuilding post 50s you would understand exactly what i am saying :roll: plus everything i say is based on my experience and my opinion free country remember :| but who am i just some discarded old shaper bored with you lot :P

roy fast displacement hull form :wink:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: this thread is just starting to get really interesting :lol: :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

tigers

Post by tigers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:31 pm

I havn't been searching your posts Huie, I have been watching this thread from the start because I like these tpye of boards.. :lol: ( the grammer correction thing I should have just ignored,yes.. :oops: ..I just considered it a moot sidetrack to a good discusion about some valid , but rarely understood designs......

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:23 pm

good point but how do we keep it going when no one understands whats being said
small peices of disp[lacement hull form will continuie to creep in to board evoloution because it works :roll:

cheers huie

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

huie wrote:good point but how do we keep it going when no one understands whats being said
Then explain it plain English, H, and we'll go from there. Or maybe Roy wants the pleasure.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:54 pm

huie wrote:heres a builders working model (no cad prgrm needed)
haa roy and i have just been yaking about boatbuilding and n a.

lets start back here ric study the builders half model they did not always use cad
i know you have an eye 8) study the under water lines what can you see :?:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Well anyway I like displacement tails or rather semi displacement because unlike planing tails they keep the same handling characteristics as they go faster.