Jackson Biscuits

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Jackson Biscuits

Post by JET01 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Has anyone ridden a Jackson Biscuit?

They look a little more performance orientated than the Al Merrick ones.

Been thinking of selling up most of my quiver and sticking with the same board to improve my surfing.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Jackson Biscuits

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 pm

I love surfing different boards, I reckon it only makes you a better surfer.

When I surf lots of different boards it forces me to be really sensitive to whats going on under my feet, stopping me from surfing with too much habit. This type of "reacting to whats happening at the time" approach to surfing is only a good thing in my opinion, as the wave will never be the same twice in a row. This type of surfing slowly stripped my surfing back to fundamentals, as NC alludes to when talking about his book about surfing technique. Things like keeping a relaxed upper body, being sensitive to the power of the wave under my feet, using my shoulders to turn, etc.

When I surf the same board too much I find that I tend to go for certain lines and turns that I'm familiar with and have done x number of times before...not necessarily reading the wave with sensitivity anymore. I'll often have some of my most fun and breath-through moments in surfing when I'm trying to figure out what a new board can do.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

carpet
Grommet

Post by carpet » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 am

just checked the pantry and found some scotch fingers,iced vovos and gollywogs but no jackson bisciuts,so sorry cant help :lol: :lol:

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45 am

i was talking to jackson on the weekend about getting a board shaped.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 pm

IGGY and CPT. I see where you're coming from, but i should be a little clearer,

I've currenlty got a few boards that i tend to ride in similar conditions.

9ft Modern Contour Stringer (a must for 1-2ft crumblers)
6'8 Miller Waterskate (great for 3-4ft crumblers)
6'2 Firewire Dominator (2-4ft when it's a bit suckier)
6'2 M10 Hogfish (2-4ft when it's a bit suckier)
6'0 Webber Mini fish (2-4ft average)
5'10 Southpoint Epoxy fish (2-3ft )

I been loving the length and width of the 5'10 x 21 1/8 x 2 1/2, I don't know whether it's just been an improvement in my surfing of late or the board, but i always seem to get my feet in the right spot almost every time, and can't say that for many of the other boards. it's got FCS Wooden keels on it and i love the speed i get out of bottom turns and pumping it down the line.

6'0 feels like way too much volume and i tend to slide out a fair bit.

6'2 firewire. despite all the time and effort i've put into it... can't seem to get it sussed.

6'2 M10 Hogfish, haven't surfed it for ages, but have had some great beachie surfs on it. going to hold onto it for a while.

6'8 Miller. first ever custom (see the thread from a few years ago) high sentimental value, and always performs well in average conditions.

9'0 Longboards are just great fun, and handy when it's crowded.

With this in mind... i was trying to find a board that kind of combined the 6'2 fire wire and 6'0 Webber.

For obvious reasons i can't have a 5 plug board that i could set up as thruster/quad/twin/keels so that's why i'm going to keep the 5'10.

I just want to free up space and stop wasting so much time thinking about which board i'm going to ride/fall off today.

That's why i was thinking about getting 5'10 x 20 5/8 x 2 3/4 biscuit set up with 5 plugs. the volume's there.. the perfomance bottom, the width for stability, the different fin possibilities.

Could be just a pipe dream that won't pay off... i'll give it a nudge and see how things pan out...

I've got to raise some funds though...

Webber mini fish is for sale 60 x 21 x 3 1/4 going for $500 only two compressions one on the bottom from my head, and one on the deck from my arse ;)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:28 pm

haha sorry mate, I didn't realise that you had boards coming out of your ears.

sounds like a quiver reconfiguration!

i'm currently going through one now, great fun :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm

not sure of your ability Jet ( and by no means do I mean that you dont surf well, this is a general comment ) but imho, a surfer with more ability can adjust and also benefit from a variety of boards, less ability means harder transition from board to board....but surfers of less ability require the best board for them to improve at a better rate....

I cant even ride one board per surf, it is something I just really enjoy, bit like CC said, those waves when feeling out a new can be the most enjoyable, totally fresh feelings, hasnt been repeated a hundred times before....

they havent really called it a 'biscuit' surely ????

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:22 pm

pridmore wrote:
they havent really called it a 'biscuit' surely ????
http://www.jacksonsurfboards.com.au/sho ... oards.html

Hit page down a few times. I don't think they have a model called a 'biscuit' but under the photo it defo says biscuit. They also have a 'pod' fish.

I love Jacksons by the way. Shitty website. Great boards. Nice guys.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 pm

i am sure they are good guys and good boards but you cant call them the same name as another company surely ??? maybe borrow the general design ( not ideal either but all shapers have done it , impossible to be original all the time with everything that has been done ) but a bit of imagination and ya own name would be good I think....do they do a 'fishcuit' too...like I said, prob good blokes but

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Mark: I agree. It's wrong, and asking for trouble. But I don't think it occurs to them to name it the boards anything else. They don't have 'biscuit' or 'pod' on the boards in the factory - in fact I don't think they 'name' any of their models. Wasn't trying to make excuses for them, probably sounded that way.

Now, hows my fat bat going :P

JET01 Seen a few blokes on short, fat jackson quads around here recently. Looks like they go good. I've had a few of their boards, and my dad has probably had 20 of them. Couldn't reccomend them highly enough.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Mark. When it comes to skill...i'm a pretty shit surfer. But i love it just as much as the next realsurfer and just want to get a little better... So i'm thinking if i take some of the variables out of what's under my feet then i might be able to concentrate on where i'm surfing on the wave to get the most out of it. I just have this idea in my head that the board consistancey would help me out a bit.

As for the "biscuit" name debate... I've done a fair bit of reading when it comes to surfboards (13 hour night shifts need to be filled in some how :wink: ) and i'm sure i've seen a few references to "biscuit" boards in the past. I don't see the term 'biscuit' to be any different to the term 'fish' to be honest.

Thanks to all the other guys out there for the Jackson feedback. I just don't hear anyone on this forum talk about them... must be the strong northern beaches influence this site has.

I just bought a new boat today... So I'm definitely going to have to wait until i sell a few more boards before i can order a new one.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:20 pm

the Fish is a design of surfboard ( although extremely loosely thrown around these days )
and the 'Biscuit' is a model name of a Merrick shape, I guess it is a bit blurry these days with names for everything and designs overlapping and hybrids all over the place ( which I love ) but for me, if one company comes up with a name of a specific design of theirs, then another company should not be able to ( or want to ) use the exact same name for the same type of shape...for me that is blatant copying ... maybe they should have called it the Iced Vo-Vo, straight away there is a great spraying option....JMO.....

Jet, too many boards can confuse you, maybe reduce the quiver to a basic 3 boards and try to ride one for the majority of the time....the Miller might be a good one from what you have said...???

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 am

pridmore wrote:the Fish is a design of surfboard ( although extremely loosely thrown around these days )
and the 'Biscuit' is a model name of a Merrick shape, I guess it is a bit blurry these days with names for everything and designs overlapping and hybrids all over the place ( which I love ) but for me, if one company comes up with a name of a specific design of theirs, then another company should not be able to ( or want to ) use the exact same name for the same type of shape...for me that is blatant copying ... maybe they should have called it the Iced Vo-Vo, straight away there is a great spraying option....JMO.....
Morally maybe. But unless they've registered the name "Biscuit", it's open slather. And they won't let you register a word in common useage. You have to alter the spelling to something similar but not in the dictionary. ("Bisket"?)
As an example, look how many car manufacturers have and "Executive" model.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 am

I agree in a way...but imagine Hyundai released a Commodore and it was almost identical in design.....but surfing and surfboards is different, names arent registered by law I guess, it is a nick name more than anything really, something to label a cetain design and shape but it has also become a way to market these designs...... :|

carve8

Post by carve8 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 pm

I can vouch for Jacksons, best boards i've ever owned. Currently riding a 6'1" hybrid fishy thing they made for me a few years back after snapping my mini mal a few weeks ago. I checked out those quad biscuits on the weekend and am seriously thinking of getting one over another longer board. Also keen on feedback if anyone has ridden one.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:42 am

As a former shire resident I can definitely vouch for jacko's , both in terms of quality and the guys runnign the show. I'll have to pass on checking their website though - I've heard they're doing a lot of great fishy boards and I'm afraid the temptation to place an order would just be too strong to resist :(
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 am

One thing I'd do to help figure out the Dominator is to try different fins.
Seems like most people ride them as a quad.
I rode a demo Dominator a couple of weeks ago and first put in FCS Stretch quads (glass flex) and felt it had a lack of drive and just felt slow.
Have the Stretch quads in a Burton "Fat Bullet" which is a similar planshape to the Dominator and they feel Gr8.
Then put in a set of MR TX fins (glass flex) and the board came alive for me. Faster and driving off the bottom and the top.
Huge, huge difference - like night and day.
Already have a Firewire Addvance which has a fuller planshape in the front of the board and prefer it to the Dominator because I can catch waves more easily with its forward volume and don't have to put as much weight on the tail in turns as it has a narrower tail.
So also concentrate on feet positioning on the Dominator and have a look and see if you're keeping your back foot over the fins.
With the Miller and the Southpoint you'll be able to stand forward and get away with it due to the area in the front 1/2 of the board. (yes, I've owned an F-skate as well) and used a V-skate as my main board for two years a while back.
I've also ridden the Mini-fish 9(demoed) and again put some MR TX's (large side fins and small trailer) and found it calmed it's quirkiness down and made it very predictable.
Also found that at 90 kgs the 6'3" worked so much better for me than the 6'0. It just didn't have enough foam.
No doubt people will carry on about so much volume but then you can jump on a longboard that has 60+ litres of volume and think nothing of it. Duh!
Also try the Southpoint with a set of thruster fins and you'll find it will come off the top better and will probably be more versatile for beachbreaks...leave the keels for lined up waves or points. (ridden both the 5'10" and the 6'2" in these).
Might add I put a set of Futures fins which are similar to the MR's on my Firewire Addvance and it stiffened it up so much I could barely recognise it. Trying to carve off the top it would want to hang like a twin keel. Put in some Blackstix EA's and loose and drivey holding speed through cutbacks and there's the fin for me.
So before you spend your money go and get some differnt demo fins and try them. Plenty of FCS and Futures demo fins to play with.
Also plenty of boards that one can demo before buying before anyone chimes in and calls me a boardwhore. :wink: and I doubt there'll be anyone else chiming in on this discussion who's actually ridden nearly every board you are talking about.
I'd demo a Firewire Firefly/El Feugo too because I'm pretty certain you'd love it. 5 sets of fin plugs too. Like my Addvance but with volume like the Dominator and wide point forward and a narrower tail.
They called it "Firefly" and then had to re-name because someone already had the name.
Isn't it about time some of the larger surfboard manufacturers made some demos available?
So far we seem to have only the companies doing OS production ie Firewire, GSI, Surftech doing it....or Mark Pridmore with his postive attitude putting their shapes in the hands of those who want to try them.
Current quiver is: 6'8" Burton Fat Bullet, 6'6" Firewire Addvance, 7' MC Seventy diamondtail, 8' Dick Van carbon fibre all rounder, 9'3" MC mal gun. Volume is my friend but I'm not a greedy wavehog. :oops: Do have a gimp shoulder though.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Then put in a set of MR TX fins (glass flex) and the board came alive for me. Faster and driving off the bottom and the top.

Hey mate ( long time no read haha ), is this in a quad?. I find i surf quads best with big big front fins and super small rears. Maybe a twin fin hangover, but it feels best, and im comtemplating a set of MR TX fins for the front, and getting an extra trailer so i have the twin fins up front, and 2 trailers in the rear.

Cheers