help me become a mal rider.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

SDA
Grommet

Re: help me become a mal rider.

Post by SDA » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:06 pm

dinosaur wrote:I guess the thing Im having trouble with is timing. Like sometimes im up and trimming and Im not sure what I should be doing, you no do i just stand there till the wave tells me what to do?
Pretty much.. cutback when your too far out on the shoulder to noseride.. and walk to the nose when it picks up. The hardest thing to get my head around was walking to the nose in the critical / steepest parts of the wave.
Don't name spots on the internet!!!

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 pm

And stall...don't forget to stall

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:04 pm

and head dip.
Head dip is cool. (and old school).
galv.head dip.jpg
galv.head dip.jpg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:52 pm

oh ha ha haha ha ha haha ha ha ha ah haaaa ha ha

excuse me while I get my breath

ha ha hahahahahahahahahh... ha

dino wants to learn to ride a 10' log.

wonders truly never cease.

longboard riding generally is about doing much less than you think you need to do. that's why they're all archy and grabbing their feet and shit, there's nothing else to do. try this: push down the tail of the board and flop it over to a new angle, then just stand there until it settles down again.

throw in a bit of cross-stepping and you're the Man. The new Midget Farrelly!!! ha ha hahahahahaha oh god.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Don't forget the Quasimodo Dinosaurus.
quasimodo.jpg
quasimodo.jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 4129 times

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:oh ha ha haha ha ha haha ha ha ha ah haaaa ha ha

excuse me while I get my breath

ha ha hahahahahahahahahh... ha

dino wants to learn to ride a 10' log.

wonders truly never cease.

longboard riding generally is about doing much less than you think you need to do. that's why they're all archy and grabbing their feet and shit, there's nothing else to do. try this: push down the tail of the board and flop it over to a new angle, then just stand there until it settles down again.

throw in a bit of cross-stepping and you're the Man. The new Midget Farrelly!!! ha ha hahahahahaha oh god.

See dino! kooks!! all mal riders are kooks and deserving of ridicule, do you really want to be publicly ridiculed? DO YOU!!!

...then get rid of that mal, get yourself a wafer thin super sleek board just like the pros have got and get out there! that's real surfin!

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:20 pm

First move on from being bi-sexual to a fully fledged ho.mo-sexthual then you can start.

Fcuking kook.

Hope I've been a help.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 am

dinosaur wrote:100% serious. I want advice.
Im throwing myself at the mercey of the good and sensible people that follow the mal section. Which counts out you ****, so please fuck off.

now , now....i might not be sensible or good...or even follow the mal section :lol:

but i know wat your going thu :shock:

quite simply...find trim and stand still

i use get heaps compliments having done this :shock:

as section after wasted section went by and i felt more and more frustrated at having wasted a good wave :cry: ....people would say how well i ride a mal :oops:

of course....too make it as a pro longboarder....u must surf it like a pro shortboarder

i dunot get that ...at all....it must be a inferiority thing :?:

sooo...exit stage left :arrow: :lol:

p.s dino...trade it on a massive brewer gun....it pull way more chicks than a mal and more fun surf too :wink:

plus once a year...u will have the board too siut the most awesome conditions 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:01 am

dinosaur wrote:“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”
Just let's start with knowing yourself Dinosaur. Baby steps and all.

There's a lot goin on up there aye mate........aye??

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:03 am

Buff_Brad wrote:
dinosaur wrote:“Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.”
Just let's start with knowing yourself Dinosaur. Baby steps and all.

There's a lot goin on up there aye mate........aye??
and downstairs is just a leopard skin loin cloth & tandoori tan lazily strolling down camp cove lane...

how about some velour leopard skin full board deck grip - you should enjoy that :idea:
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 am

WANDERER wrote:See dino! kooks!! all mal riders are kooks and deserving of ridicule, do you really want to be publicly ridiculed? DO YOU!!!

...then get rid of that mal, get yourself a wafer thin super sleek board just like the pros have got and get out there! that's real surfin!
I will take the piss out of this episode as much as I like thank you very much.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:34 am

fcuk you will be wanting tips on how to ride one of those next won't you.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am

Nick Carroll wrote:fcuk you will be wanting tips on how to ride one of those next won't you.
or an ancient hawaiian belly board - complete with air pump to inflate the belly board, red on one side with black rubber handles, blue on the other with rubber fins... :roll:
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:47 pm

I'll help you Dino. :wink:

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:24 pm

" get rid of all the other crap and get someone, why not pridmore to shape you a good quality all round thruster."

Hey dinosaur someone sent me these wise words once.
How about looking into this before branching out into something more adventurous? :wink:
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Get a gut and get a 12 footer.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm gonna break the sillyness and say something slightly serious in regards to the thread topic; from my relatively extensive experience with longboards in Sydney, 10 foot is way too long for yar average syndey surf, 9'6" maximum, otherwise yar gonna have to deal with too much board. I had a 10-0 for a while, thought it'd be a piece of piss after riding a 9'6" for so long previous, but yeah, once yet get past the ridiculous ease of picking up waves super early, you soon find that a board that big is more of a handful than it's worth, this translates to gettin hammered when it's big and missing too many sections (ie over shooting them or overprojecting) when it's small, I'm back to riding a 9'5" at the moment and it's just right for me in Sydney - and thats me weighing in at 92kgs, if you weigh less dino, ya should be looking shorter than that.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 am

dinosaur wrote:
not worried about getting smashed when its big as I wouldn't even look at the mal at anything over 3 foot.
I'm fairly similar these days, however will still consider the mal when its full, ya get these days like down at Dee Why sometimes when there's swell on but it's too high a tide or too stiff an offshore and it stands up just short of breaking out in line with the point, beyond even, too full to get into on a shorty but downright fun to carve and fade on a longboard, sooo much speed. The longboard can lose access to the tighter parts of the wave, but it'll also open up parts of a wave not accessable to shorter equipment.

It's a day by day session by session evaluation, I don't totally subscribe to the "mals for small stuff and shortboards for big stuff" ethos, and why the fcuk should I.