All timber board builders help....

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

RunamuckMalBoy

All timber board builders help....

Post by RunamuckMalBoy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey Hey,

my contract at work finishes soon, so I've deciced to take the plunge and dive into the realms of Roy-Stewartness and build a timber board...

Prob go hollow, to use a bit more wood working skill, with the hand made joints and such, BUT I have a question or 10....

the main one at this stage is, with a hollow board, how do you go about putting a plug in it, like the goat boats i've seen... so you can allow the air to escape when it expands?

Also, are they glassed or do you use and oil or something??

any help, sugestions would be great... (besides telling me to wake up to myself and not to do it...)

cheers,

tim

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: All timber board builders help....

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Tim,
I'm sure Joe Larkin is building boards like that up in Bogangar.

http://www.joelarkinsurfboards.com/

If you dig down into some of the boards listed, you'll see some interesting pics.
Not sure where you are but it's a big project.
Might be worth a visit.

And Joe's been doing it a lot longer.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 pm

A mate of mine got a kit to build a timber fish.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:45 am

The most practical solution is an inspection port, there are also vents with goretex plugs which breathe available.
Last edited by roy Stewart on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:23 am

There is heaps of information on vents at the Tree to Sea wooden surfboard building forum.

http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/

On the the index page go down to Fins, Leashes, Vents.

Also worth checking out is the Projects section.
The Builders completed board section has photos and links to the many ways to build a wooden surfboard.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:20 am

Trev that is a blast seeing Joe Larkin's site. From a shop at Kirra in 1970 to online custom orders in 2010. How old is he?

His foam board looks great. I guess he never imagined his boards would be in demand 40 years after he shut up shop.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:55 pm

Beanpole wrote:Trev that is a blast seeing Joe Larkin's site. From a shop at Kirra in 1970 to online custom orders in 2010. How old is he?

His foam board looks great. I guess he never imagined his boards would be in demand 40 years after he shut up shop.
Yep. He made my first board for me and I picked it up on Christmas Eve 1963. Carried it from there to Snapper and spent the whole day surfing Snapper, Greenmount and Kirra. Dad picke dme up on his way home from work late in the afternoon.
I gather he got out of it for a while. Seem to remember he was managing a caravan park down Hastings Point way for a long time. Also heard he had a bad back.
Great to see him back at it. Gotta get down there one day and natter.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Try this one http://www.woodensurfboards.blogspot.com/
It has some cool stuff - there was a workshop up the Currumbim Valley that basically was a step by step board building course

tigers

Post by tigers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:24 am

Beanpole wrote:Trev that is a blast seeing Joe Larkin's site. From a shop at Kirra in 1970 to online custom orders in 2010. How old is he?

Hey Beanpole, Joe's 77 , give or take a year. He's got a real neat workshop in Caba, and still producin the goods with a steady hand and an eagle eye. Will take an order over the phone or drop him an email .He spends a lot of time overseas these days, but always checks his emails. :wink: