Why did I let this happen to me?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Why did I let this happen to me?

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 pm

clay wrote:
I have my first child on the way in May and I wonder how the exercise regime will suffer or be impeded with a newborn to attend to? How does anyone else deal with this?
Well don't know about your circumstances but if you live close to the beach keep your go-out regular but shorten 'em.....if you've got a half hour window take it....even if the surf is shit...paddle out without a leggy, swim, come in and do a hundred crunches.

Get a little home circuit going that is intense and takes 10-15 mins......you can fit that in 3-4 times a week.

Good luck....try and hold the line ...look after you missus.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 pm

[quote="clay"

I have my first child on the way in May and I wonder how the exercise regime will suffer or be impeded with a newborn to attend to? How does anyone else deal with this?[/quote]

Buy a mal. Thats what I did 17 years ago. I borrowed a mates brothers one occasionally a bit before that but I thought,correctly, that my days of chasing waves up and down the coast were on hold for quite some time. Particularly when it became obvious that my daughter got really car sick very easily. Riding a mal lets you make the most of the tiny dribble you will have to contend with. :D
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:55 pm

pridmore wrote:I sometimes eat only fruit thru the day and drink water ...then have a normal dinner, not too big but have whatever really, meat and veges or salad...no desserts and drink more water after dinner...this for a week usually drops 3kgs or so for me, not that I am big but usually around 74kgs and occasionally if it gets to 77 I just get into my fruit ( and veges but mostly fruit ), it helps that a local fruit guy comes to the shop once a week with the best fruit and 5 bucks gets me a real lot....I almost straight away feel better after doing this....maybe it is a semi detox of its own, just know it works for me...as well as surfing every morning and throwing the leg as often as possible... :roll: :D
Thats a way better way to "detox' and get healthy than those bloody detox programs you can buy (such as lemon detox). They are a total hoax, your body doesnt need to detox, the liver/kidneys do a good enough job at getting rid of toxins on its own, As prids said, eat plenty of fruit and veges, only lean meat (chicken, fish, kangaroo), and lay off the beer, chocolate etc for a full 2 weeks, nothing fried etc.
Those detox fads are a gimmick and a waste of money, its all about plenty of fresh healthy food and water.
Did anyone see the tv show on lemon detox products?? The people who tested it had their bodies starting to shut down on them due to lack of nutrients, they were actually getting really unhealthy, and the weight lost was mostly muscle, so as soon as you finish the "detox' program you put more fat on to replace the lost muscle. Nothing "detox's" your body like eating well and drinking plenty of water, and daily Psyllium husk fibre to keep regular.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 am

timbo85 wrote:Learn about this (its very helpful):

http://www.hps-online.com/troph1.htm
This is very good also.

Learn it, Live it, Never feel better.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 am

I have 3 kids, a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 2 month old. Its pretty hectic, but i still get 2 surfs in at least during the week. I pretty much only do the dawn patrol, and im in the water around 530am, usually before work. Im an early riser, so im used to it. The wife doesnt complain, coz i make sure she gets a sleep in if im nt surfing. Easy!!. I dont go out on the piss much, or down to the pub, so i spend a lot of time at home ( luckily i have 3 kegs in keg fridge, so no need to go out!! ).

Oh, and weight loss, i joined calorieking.com.au a few months ago, and have lost 12kg in that time, from 90, to 78 ( 77 this week, but i hover around 77-78 ). Soooo simple., no fad, just tells you how much protein,fat,carbs,sugar, and calories you should be eating every day ( for your height,weight etc ), and then you enter what you're gunna eat that day ( there's a database, so you can just type "mars bar" and it will load it automatically ), and so you can see if you're eating too much, or not enough. Eating right will help you lose weight more than killing yourself in the gym, although if you do cardio a few times a week, it will help you along nicely.

I eat more salad and veg now, and lots of protein, and try not to eat too many carbs ( though you still need to eat them, this is important!! ).

BTW im almost 30, and i havent been 77kg since i was 17 or 18 maybe.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Didnt we go through all this before in another thread? Look guys, forget anything that is outside of what dietitions would call normal. Eat food from all the food groups, your body needs em all, chuck anything out that is prepackaged, flavoured or coloured. Allways check labels for this because they are misleading, for intance Orange juice that has flavour and colour adder, what the! If you have a child, whack him/her in the pram/backpack/pushie, whatever and take em for a walk, ride, swim etc. Get moving cos it is sooo easy to become doclie and then it becomes all too hard. Forget diets of any kind or supplements of any kind. If you eat a balanced amount from each food group, you don't need any of em. Jeez, what the hell has the human race done without all that crap up till now? Back the name of the thread, you didn't let it happen mate, you just took your eye off the ball.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

To steal from Michael Pollan:

"Eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants."

Pretty simple.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

curly

Post by curly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

All my life I was always the fat kid, then the fat teenager and then I went to uni for about 8 years and became an elephant. When I left uni I was close to 135kg's. I work in the professional sports industry so it wasn't a good look being the fat bloke around all the fit athletes. So about 7 or 8 years ago I decided to do something about it. My girlfriend (now wife) told me about Weight Watchers for men program, so the next day I started it. You don't go to weigh in's or meetings etc you just follow the plan. For 2 years I religiously did this program and lost 30kg's, so got down to about 104-105kg's where I stayed for a few years. I exercised every day of the week, I did group personal training sessions 3 times a week and just pushed myself as hard as I could. Then no matter how sore or tired I was the following day I would get up and go for an hour walk/jog. So I was heavily committed and knew this was an investment in my future health. After staying at 104kg's for a few years and watching what I eat I went back on the program again and got down to 86kg's. I have now drifted back up to arond 92kg's and ideally would like to get back down to around 90kg's. My life has changed totally, I eat healthy 95% of the time, I rarely eat junk food and I exercise 5 or 6 times a week, if I don't exercise the weight just starts to creep back on. I love my food but what the weight watchers program teaches you is all about portion sizes, so even though I don't follow it exactly now I know when I am overeating. So it is not rocket science. Get out and exercise and watch what you put in your mouth. If you have kids take them to have Japanese instead of pizza or fish and chips or make healthy low fat pizza's at home. I love a beer but try to keep it in moderation, if I know I have a big night coming up I try and get some extra exercise in to compensate or push myself to exercise the day after, no matter how bad I feel. I have 2 kids now and take both of them for long walks/runs in the pram so even if I don't get a chance to go to the gym I am getting some exercise in. Sometimes I get pissed off that my weight is creeping up again and I just need to look at a photo of what I used to be like previously and realise there is no way I am going back there again. So I hope that gives those struggling with their weight a bit of motivation

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 am

Well done Curly you are an inspiration, or should be, to any of those 'whoe is me i can't lose weight even if i try and iv always been fat' people who in reality cant be bothered. It amazes me how many of some start losing it after the doctor tells em they've got a coupla months to live.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Jimi wrote:and daily Psyllium husk fibre to keep regular.
Can't recommend this highly enough.

Not only does it keep you regular, it cleans out all the garbage clinging to the lining of your bowel (gross, yes but very very good), makes dropping the kids off at the pool an easier, almost pleasant experience, lowers cholesterol and there's even talk of it potentially lowering blood sugar counts.

Great stuff.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 am

I wake up, I eat okay most of the time, but don't give too much of a toss, sink piss, smoke the occassional durry (or sometimes a lot of durries) it's not healthy, but atm I wake up thinking that there aint that much more, so why stick around, I like beers, durries, curries and football, I think I'll just enjoy em til I die, they might contribute to an early death, but then again, time kills everyone. Healthy people die at 55, just as lifetime smokers die at 85...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 am

Got my aerobic rate up at the moment and actually added a bit to my running (not much)this week.
Blood pressure is great but I got some results back from the GP which means working on cholesterol more again. Its hereditary. Trouble is I never check the results of tests till the next time I see him which means they are a little out of date. However since we've had xmas in between I don't think it will have dropped.

Anyway it can't hurt to lower your cholesterol rate :roll: I eat pretty good so its going to be less of the good stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wands have you tried giving up smoking before?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 am

Beanpole wrote:Wands have you tried giving up smoking before?
hmmm only about 50 times, the last two times have been interesting; quit in January, dont have a smoke till mid october, get back on to 20 a day by December, quit in january - repeat... oh and I quit again on Monday, lookin forward o havin a durry in october LoL :P :roll:

I have no problems quitting, it's the staying quit that gets me hahaha

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am

WANDERER wrote:I have no problems quitting, it's the staying quit that gets me hahaha
Wish I had that same problem :evil:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 am

mical wrote:
WANDERER wrote:I have no problems quitting, it's the staying quit that gets me hahaha
Wish I had that same problem :evil:
I do use patches, but not for the prescribed 10 weeks or whatever they reckon, thats unnecessary and mostly I reckon so the pharma companies can make their money, nope I go to chemists warehouse or the like, buy 2 weeks worth of full 21mg patches, I wear the first week, then when it comes to week two I cut a third off the patch and put it back in the foil and wrap it in glad wrap, I put the 2/3rds bit on as usual, week three I use the leftover thirds, it's enough to ween you off if you have the mind power to do the job and instead of spending $18-$27 a week on buying the different size patches I have spent $36 odd dollars on my whole quit process, thats just over half as much as I woulda spent on smokes in 1 week... oh yeah, that's the easiest motivator for me to quit this time, goin to the USA/Canada for my big road trip this year, petrol in the tank is way more valuable than tar in my lungs!

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:50 am

^^^
Got a baby due in a few months, my mum's got emphysema, it costs ridiculously large sums of money, it's killing me, I'm not as fit as I could be (I'm as fit as a smoker can get) . . but I can't seem to stop.

Even with a patch on, I still smoke.

Granted, not as much but they just don't seem to do it for me. I hold out until I get to the point of almost murdering people over nothing and smoke to relieve the violent rage, which is very unlike me.

I really want to quit . . but if I was honest a small part of me still enjoys it too :evil:

I feel liked I'm fcuked and won't ever be able to stop.

My old man on the other hand, could smoke for 2 years and then throw them out the car window and not smoke for another 2 years. Bastard :!:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:55 am

mical wrote:^^^
Got a baby due in a few months, my mum's got emphysema, it costs ridiculously large sums of money, it's killing me, I'm not as fit as I could be (I'm as fit as a smoker can get) . . but I can't seem to stop.

Even with a patch on, I still smoke.

Granted, not as much but they just don't seem to do it for me. I hold out until I get to the point of almost murdering people over nothing and smoke to relieve the violent rage, which is very unlike me.

I really want to quit . . but if I was honest a small part of me still enjoys it too :evil:

I feel liked I'm fcuked and won't ever be able to stop.

My old man on the other hand, could smoke for 2 years and then throw them out the car window and not smoke for another 2 years. Bastard :!:
That small part is addiction...

FWIW the dude at the chemist reckons if the 21mg patch aint enough you can supplement with some 2mg gum when the homicidal urges arise.

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:14 pm

WANDERER wrote:
Beanpole wrote:Wands have you tried giving up smoking before?
hmmm only about 50 times, the last two times have been interesting; quit in January, dont have a smoke till mid october, get back on to 20 a day by December, quit in january - repeat... oh and I quit again on Monday, lookin forward o havin a durry in october LoL :P :roll:

I have no problems quitting, it's the staying quit that gets me hahaha
It's easy to give up smoking, I've done it a thousand times before!!! :lol: