Why did I let this happen to me?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Why did I let this happen to me?

Post by buzzy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:20 am

Ok, I just got on some bathroom scales and it's truly scary. My weight can flucuate quite a bit - previously as a fully grown adult I've varied between a low of 78kg and a high of 92kg. I'm happy to sit at around 85kg.

Anyway, I weighed myself yesterday and the scales saud 96kg!

Now there's a bit of an excuse. I had glandular fever which had me doing no exercise and eating comfort food for about a year. Then when I recovered I got an umbilical hernia surgically repaird and had 10 skin cancers cut out over around 4 months. So basically another 9 months without meaningful exercise - queue more comfort food.

But the sad bit is I'm exercising regularly - getting my surf fitness back surfing 3 or 4 days a week, jogging once or twice a week, swimming 1500m every second or third week....and while some weight is dropping off and I don't think I look obese but I'm carrying heaps of extra weight. It's weird actually as I can still pull on my 34" boardies...just...which I would've thought would mean 5 or 7kg overweight, not closer to 15kg.

I took out one of my "overfoamed" boards from pre-illness out for a surf yesterday and it was truly painful. I reckon I need at least 2" in extra length, maybe .75" in extra width and .25"" in extra thickness in my boards. Sad.

Just thought I'd share my pai. I have a number of boards I thought I'd slim down to use again and while that'll happen it won't happen in weeks or months...more like a year at least.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Why did I let this happen to me?

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:55 am

I'm on 96kg too Buzzy. :oops:
Normally around 92 for the last couple of years but at 6'2", I should really be in the mid 80's.
Three months of irregular surf plus Christmas have pushed a few kgs on.
Gonna work on it though.
Bugger the jogging, though. :twisted:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

grimshine
Grommet

Post by grimshine » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:57 am

Hi buzzy, if its any comfort to you muscle tissue weighs more than fat so in actual fact you have probably slimmed down but the scales say no. Your 34" boardies would attest to that. Keep at it and don't jump on the scales anymore just judge how much you are losing by how baggy your boardies are getting. 2009 was a shit year and hope 2010 is heaps better..

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm 6'1" and played footy in my 20's at 95kg. I'm now fifty and still 95kg, but they're a whole lot different to the old kg's. I reckon I should be about 85 - 90 but it just won't happen for me. I don't think a recent addiction to those bloody caffeine sports drinks is helping any.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:36 pm

^^^

Nope, full of refined white sugar and that sh.it leads to weight gain amongst a lot of other bad side effects.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 pm

at least ya back surfing...i got a severe ankle injury mid july, got back in water start sept. got a solid week surf in on hols, then a week back, tore the muscle that runs from achilles tendon up behind calf muscle. start of december thought i was right to get back in water, then fucked my back at work to the point of not being able to move for 3 days. im still lookin at another week or 2 out, and whats more frustrating is that i ordered a new step up board when i hit the water in sept, took del start of oct...and its still sittin in room unwaxed :cry: ...fark i hate gettin older..injuries just dont heal like they used to..

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm 46 6 ' 2" and 88 kgs.....should be down to around 83-85 .....if I can get down to 79kg it means I have the full six pack look and could compete (as an underwear model) with any gay guy at ARQ. 8)

But I like two coffeeeees a day and chocolate. I try to eat much sashimi , fruit (in the morning) good veges etc.....but it does all boil down to (at the minimum) sweating hard at least 3 times a week for more than 45 mins and not overdoing it on the carbs.....if you are really serious about losing weight properly IMHO.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:20 am

TrevG wrote:I'm on 96kg too Buzzy. :oops:
Normally around 92 for the last couple of years but at 6'2", I should really be in the mid 80's.
Geez Trev, you must be a beanpole! I'm 6'4'' and hovver around 98-100kgs. I could lose a few kgs (especially post Xmas) of course but can't imagine being even as low as 90kg unless I was a triathlete or something. I mustn't be trying hard enough :lol:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

The Oracle
regular

Post by The Oracle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:02 am

I wish I had that problem! I'm 25yo and 6 foot, trying to put on as much weight as I can before footy starts up again, currently at about 76-77kg and working out most days, eating everything I can get my hands on and then some..

No doubt by the time I finally start putting weight on I'll have finished playing and won't want it any more! I'll just be a fat 30yo whose body is conditioned to eating loads of protein and carbs everyday and can't exercise enough to get rid of them.

timbo85
Grommet

Post by timbo85 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:11 am

Learn about this (its very helpful):

http://www.hps-online.com/troph1.htm

Also, if you wanna shed pounds, put on muscle and generally feel a whole lot better, I'd strongly recommend detox and colon cleanse formulas :oops: .
But if your going to do it you have to do it right. Cleansing the colon and digestive system is the first step in realising true health, not excessive excercise or dieting.
Once your system is rid of all the toxins built up over the last 40 years (you've probably got some gnarly shit still inside from the op meds too) you'll find you can metabolise food allot better, have more energy, and derrive more nourishment from the food you eat. Your body will perform better and you'll shed pounds cause your bodies natural regulating and detoxifying systems will be restored. The colon is nature's garbage disposal, if its slow or crook, waste piles up, gets sucked back into the system, poisoning the body.
Good luck mate.

P.S One easy thing to do for weight loss and detoxification is drink a glass of warm water mixed with lemon juice in the morning upon waking on an empty stomach, and don't eat/drink again for 30/hour. Also hammer into raw pineapple and blueberries, but not after eating other stuff.

Also Bikram (heated) Yoga is excellent for sweating out toxins, restoring flexibility and shedding pounds.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:48 am

RickyG wrote:
TrevG wrote:I'm on 96kg too Buzzy. :oops:
Geez Trev, you must be a beanpole! I'm 6'4'' and hovver around 98-100kgs. I could lose a few kgs (especially post Xmas) of course but can't imagine being even as low as 90kg unless I was a triathlete or something. I mustn't be trying hard enough :lol:
Yep. I was a real beanpole until my mid/late thirties.
Most of the weight is in my gut so if Icould lose that, I'd be laughing. But like I say, I like my food too much. :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:45 pm

A detox is good to start but it's all about Habit. Habit eating good "living" food and doing exercise - surf, HIIT, Yoga and anything else you enjoy doing.

My weakness has always been diet. In my twenties I could eat just about any junk food and chocolates and burn it off the next day, now in my thirties I totally pigged out over Xmas, didn't do any of my regular training and put on 7kg's :shock: .

I gotta say that eating well gives me the best energy, training obviously helps but diet is the key.

Good luck, stay positive, keep surfing, eat well, live well, be well.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Well, I might as well add the female component. I also love chocolate and lots of other nasty great stuff. I'm up 8 Kgs now too. I can't believe I am confessing it here but there ya go, maybe it will help me shed.

I let this happen to me on the back of an injury too. Still slightly injured (can't run, but can surf) but that's no excuse. We all know that we are what we eat. Gawd, I hate that saying, self-righteous sons of . . .

Anyway, good luck to everyone else out there and I will be sure to report back in with my svelte form back intact. Hold your breath won't you?

Shari

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:47 am

TrevG wrote:
RickyG wrote:
TrevG wrote: Yep. I was a real beanpole until my mid/late thirties.
Me too :D
Actually had someone turn up at xmas who ressurected the old monicker. As he pointed out "f#*cking beanpole junior" fits the bill a bit better than me these days.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm 34, 6'2" and my weight fluctuates between 81kgs and 87kgs for reasons I'm yet to work out. I'm hitting the gym 5 days out of 7 doing either cardio, 30 laps of the pool or light weights with high reps on top of regular surfs, tennis etc. I'm aiming for a sub 80kg target but I think that will involve serious changes to my diet as it's certainly not the amount of exercise stopping me from getting to the target.

I have my first child on the way in May and I wonder how the exercise regime will suffer or be impeded with a newborn to attend to? How does anyone else deal with this?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:21 pm

^^^

In a few words - you're fcuked :D

Especially if you have a bubs that is very restless and sleeps little, you'll get overtired and the last thing you'll want to be doing is going to the gym and maintaining that regime if you've hardly slept.

Basically you will need to change things a little but with some good time management and, enshallah you have a baby that sleeps pretty well, things may not have to change too much. It all depends on the baby and they are all different in their own little ways.

2 and a half years later I'm back going to the gym 3 times a week and surfing once on a weekend, a decent change from 2 years ago when she was still a baby and I was going to the gym once a week and surfing maybe once every few weeks (if I was lucky)
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm

I sometimes eat only fruit thru the day and drink water ...then have a normal dinner, not too big but have whatever really, meat and veges or salad...no desserts and drink more water after dinner...this for a week usually drops 3kgs or so for me, not that I am big but usually around 74kgs and occasionally if it gets to 77 I just get into my fruit ( and veges but mostly fruit ), it helps that a local fruit guy comes to the shop once a week with the best fruit and 5 bucks gets me a real lot....I almost straight away feel better after doing this....maybe it is a semi detox of its own, just know it works for me...as well as surfing every morning and throwing the leg as often as possible... :roll: :D